Critique My Daughter - Newborn

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

My daughter was born last week and as such I wanted to try my hand at some 'newborn' images of her. Today I set up the softbox in the living room and swaddled her, the idea being it'll keep her nice and warm and as such make for easier photographing.

Swaddling with a blanket I found a pain as it undid quite a few times as she wriggled about, I'm sure there must be purpose made wraps for these sort of things but I didn't have any.

The image was taken with the softbox overhead and at 180 degrees to the camera (my thinking was it would eliminate upward shadows). Anyway, the image is below (cropped 16x9 which is a bit unorthodox for me as I tend to stick with 3x2).

James

Congratulations. Nice shot too :)

Very cute, enjoy your time together it goes quick my eldest is 20 next year!

Congratulations!

Personally I think the letterbox crop doesn't suit the subject as it is a bit challenging when really everything should be geared towards making it as easy and pleasing to look at as possible, I would go for a 4:3, 8:10 or even square format, assuming there is a bit more space around your daughter. (otherwise it would be a bit tight). If not, even the 3:2 would probably work better (and be easier to frame).

I really like the crop. It gives the subject (your lovely little baby) space but means she's not reduced too much, as she would be if you'd given her as much space with a 3:2

Thanks for taking the time to reply both. I'd tried a square crop along with 7x5, 3x2 and finally settled on the 16x9 crop. When I have five minutes I might revisit it in LR just to give it another look.

James

Thanks for taking the time to reply both. I'd tried a square crop along with 7x5, 3x2 and finally settled on the 16x9 crop. When I have five minutes I might revisit it in LR just to give it another look.

James

I have 10 month old twins and know that irrespective of the crop ratio, nothing will ever be so beautiful to the proud parents :)

Back