My Daughter

Edit My Images
Yes
A few from today with my daughter and her big brother as the assistant!

What I want to know is how do you get them to keep still?

_MG_6013.jpg_MG_6016.jpg_MG_6029.jpg_MG_6038.jpg

You can't and it's frustrating at first. What I do with my son who's 15 months is use back button focussing with continuous AF and keep the camera on him and then wait for him to look at me. Sometimes you catch a good moment, often you don't. If you can wave a toy in one hand and shoot with the other, that sometimes helps too!

Last edited:
In all seriousness,,,, why do most people want their kids to sit still and pose for the camera? As you've realised... they don't do that naturally, so why not capture them as they are?

In all seriousness,,,, why do most people want their kids to sit still and pose for the camera? As you've realised... they don't do that naturally, so why not capture them as they are?

I agree with this. Kids (and most adults) posed smiles often look awkward and do not represent how they actually look when they are happy or smile naturally.

You can hire a children's photographer. They know all the tricks ;)

I don't recommend giving sweets to children during photshoots. They take ages to finish eating them and pull some strange expressions at the same time. They also tend to get covered in spit and mess and if the sweets are bright in colour they can stand out in the pictures. It also makes them hyper and only interested in when the next sweets are coming.

Can I ask what you all think of my snaps, any pointers would be great? I have been reading this forum for a while and after lots of practice finally had the confidence to post some pics.

Last edited:
I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and they still don't sit still!

A six inch nail works well
and it keeps them to a tight circle.
But they seem to loose interest in being photographed.

Can I ask what you all think of my snaps, any pointers would be great? I have been reading this forum for a while and after lots of practice finally had the confidence to post some pics.

Just in my phone so can't see the pics to comprehensively.

The one thing that does stand out for me is the cluttered background in the last and a few distracting shadows on the wall in one of the others.

They won't stay still for long. Snap them playing or having downtime when they're sleepy.

S

Back