Critique My eldest and youngest

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've now set up a small room at home to take photos, with OCF through translucent umbrella for the key flash with another flash on the background. I know white backgrounds are a bit old hat/Marmite, but as the room is painted white, this was the obvious choice and one I wanted to see if I could get right. Did I manage it? C&C welcome if you have the time to comment.

1. IMG_9207 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

2. IMG_9206 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

3. IMG_9209 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

4. Last one showing what happened between most shots....Finley making a bid for freedom
IMG_9225 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

The last shot looks considerably "warmer" than the others, much more red/yellow - I dont think the white bg's are old-hat, I've got loads of work set up for my background over the next 8 months so plenty of life in them yet (y)

#1 and #3 are my favs - I like the eye contact in the 3rd one - lovely pics :)

Your lucky they stayed still for even 1 shot my 2 are constantly on the move.

Really like #3 too with #2 being close second. Last one colour is a little too orange but for a little one trying to escape you have nailed his eyes.

Thanks for the comments, and the WB one in particular, it's much appreaciated. I've cooled the last shot down a bit, as it looks like the WB setting was different to the others in the original.

IMG_9255e by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

It's good to hear that you don't think white backgrounds are old-hat Carl, I like then and I think for canvasses they look great.

Bryn - the eldest is pretty good at staying still :), but Finley is a nightmare. I used to enjoy photographing him before he started crawling, now I just get p****d off as he just won't sit still, so I don't bother unless there's someone else to "help" (or more accurately "hold tight so he can't wriggle free"!!!)

Lol the joys, I've got 100's of shots of back of heads back etc. the key is to set up and have a bribe ready or something for him to hold onto, and if you have a remote shutter that helps.

As carl says white bg will always work, just togs have seen 100's of 1000's so can find them boring, I personally like them in certain shoots like this. Goods shots they look a little under exposed to me however I do tend to over expose my shots.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Alan, it is appreciated. I might give the remote option a try, as I can do this using my phone. It would save the constant circle of putting him where I want him, grab the camera, look though viewfinder to watch him disappearing from view, rinse, repeat etc.

I've tried giving him things to play with which works for about 20 seconds and then he's off. He's a little too young to bribe yet, but that will be an option when he's a little older.

You might be right about the exposure. I don't think the screen on my laptop is great, and it's certainly not calibrated. To me the third one looks about right. Would be interested to hear what you think is right and if you have time to adjust one to what looks right to you, I could learn from it. If you have time that is?

Last edited:
Back