My eldest son

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this of my eldest son today. My aim for this image was to create that moody teenager look. I worked with a key light first and then brought in a fill to light the shadows a bit.
I am a relative novice with any studio work and off camera lighting , and just working through strobist lighting at the moment. My key was to the left of me as I wanted the fall off to be across his face, and the fill
wasn't quite on the lens axis, but right next to me on the right.

Pertinent questions are -

1. Does the fill have to be on the lens axis?
2. How do I make my white background white? I know I have to light the background, but can it be done with one light?
3. I am using speedlights at the moment (ad200, TT685's and godox x1t trigger). Would it be easier to use studio lights?
If so can anyone recommend a good starter set that won't break the bank?

Finally, please critique, as I want to learn and get it right. TIA Terry

kyle1a (1 of 1).JPG

Hi,

Just a couple of observations, perhaps one of them relates to your first question.
- I would have liked his head a lot higher in the frame ... something like filling 3/4 of the gap above his head ... (and then your camera being lower not looking down on him).
- Grey background not an issue for me, I quite like it in fact but I got no tips on how to make it easily white.

He is not moody enough ;), maybe he takes from his mother or something. BTW. Good portrait I like the photography.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just a couple of observations, perhaps one of them relates to your first question.
- I would have liked his head a lot higher in the frame ... something like filling 3/4 of the gap above his head ... (and then your camera being lower not looking down on him).
- Grey background not an issue for me, I quite like it in fact but I got no tips on how to make it easily white.

He is not moody enough ;), maybe he takes from his mother or something. BTW. Good portrait I like the photography.

Thanks for the feedback Charles, much appreciated! Getting the white background is something I want to work on. He certainly does have his mother's temperament.

Here's one way of lighting a subject and a white background in a small space with just 2 lights: http://www.simoncarterphotography.com/blog/2015/10/lighting-comparison

For more than just headshots it's normal to use two lights on the background, or 3 for full length.

Yes, studio lights would be easier. The Lencarta SmartFlash stuff is often recommended as a good balance between quality, price & customer service.

Generally with fill it's a good idea to start with a reflector and only add a light if you really need it. To avoid introducing two sets of shadows a second light should be right on the lens axis. The larger it is the more deviation from this you can get away with.

Here's one way of lighting a subject and a white background in a small space with just 2 lights: http://www.simoncarterphotography.com/blog/2015/10/lighting-comparison

For more than just headshots it's normal to use two lights on the background, or 3 for full length.

Yes, studio lights would be easier. The Lencarta SmartFlash stuff is often recommended as a good balance between quality, price & customer service.

Generally with fill it's a good idea to start with a reflector and only add a light if you really need it. To avoid introducing two sets of shadows a second light should be right on the lens axis. The larger it is the more deviation from this you can get away with.

Thanks for the great reply Simon. At present I only have 3 speedlights, though do feel I may need to invest in studio lights to help take some of the guesswork out of it, that way I could just use the speedlights to light the background. I will look at the Lencarta system too,
as anything I have ordered from there has been great so far.

In relation to keeping the fill on the lens axis, how do I achieve this without it getting in the way? So if I had a fill on a shoot through could it be behind me on the lens axis?

Thanks for the great reply Simon. At present I only have 3 speedlights, though do feel I may need to invest in studio lights to help take some of the guesswork out of it, that way I could just use the speedlights to light the background. I will look at the Lencarta system too,
as anything I have ordered from there has been great so far.

In relation to keeping the fill on the lens axis, how do I achieve this without it getting in the way? So if I had a fill on a shoot through could it be behind me on the lens axis?

A large brolly behind you would work well. I tend to bounce a light off two large studio flats. I also use a reflector brolly or a shoot through. A shoot through can be great in a white space as it bounces so much light in other directions but reflectors tend to be more controllable.

A large brolly behind you would work well. I tend to bounce a light off two large studio flats. I also use a reflector brolly or a shoot through. A shoot through can be great in a white space as it bounces so much light in other directions but reflectors tend to be more controllable.

Thanks for the advice, Simon, it has been of great help. I will experiment with a fill behind me, as and when I need it. I still need to work on using my key light, and understand how it shapes the light in different positions. So far I mainly used it from the side and at 45 up and over.

Back