My fangs are bigger than your's

Ryan I love those what great action I have never seen two face off before.

Simply superb behavioural shots, Ryan... you could go a lifetime and not witness this again.

Ryan I love those what great action I have never seen two face off before.
Simply superb behavioural shots, Ryan... you could go a lifetime and not witness this again.
Thanks guys, I felt quite lucky to get to see this behaviour let alone get some shots. I think I have created a zebra jumper utopia at the moment with my greenhouse. Last year after a helpful neighbor dropped a tree on it I decided to get rid of the broken panes and then wrap the entire frame in poly tunnel covering plastic. As a result lots of flies have been getting caught in between the sheets and the original glass panels making a fertile killing ground for the jumpers. I was able to count 9 yesterday before I started to lose track of which ones were which.
I shot a video of a male going into the nest of a female 4 years ago I would love to see it again.
So that's what a jumper nest looks like, cool find Alf I will have to keep an eye out for those.

Thanks guys, I felt quite lucky to get to see this behaviour let alone get some shots. I think I have created a zebra jumper utopia at the moment with my greenhouse. Last year after a helpful neighbor dropped a tree on it I decided to get rid of the broken panes and then wrap the entire frame in poly tunnel covering plastic. As a result lots of flies have been getting caught in between the sheets and the original glass panels making a fertile killing ground for the jumpers. I was able to count 9 yesterday before I started to lose track of which ones were which.

So that's what a jumper nest looks like, cool find Alf I will have to keep an eye out for those.

With that many you may see that kind of face off again Ryan they look like Salticus cinulatus

I first noticed the doors of the nest or hole moving and bits of spider bfriefly showing after noticing but of wood louse built up around them and I was wondering where they went when the sun was not out. There is a video I took just before the final entry and some shots of the entrance taken leading up to the video. The video was hadheld.

Last edited:
Back