My Film Portrait Experiment, more pics added

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
A few people on here know me already, for those who don't, I'm a self taught hobbyist who started as a total camera novice, starting out with digital. Got a bit better through lots of reading/taking pics and the good folk on here. Over the last few months have had an itch to shoot film as I've never really done it - very different way of shooting!!

Anyhow, I'll keep posting the portraits up here!

Couple to start.

First film Shoot by NikonSR, on Flickr

First film Shot by NikonSR, on Flickr

It could be the wine taking (I don't think it is) but DAMN that second one is exceptionally good IMHO, looks like an old master oil painting.

It could be the wine taking (I don't think it is) but DAMN that second one is exceptionally good IMHO, looks like an old master oil painting.

Thank you - I was really pleased with that one when i got my scans back!!

I love the film look anyway, but that second shot is VERY Nice!

I would not have know you shot these on film if you did not mention it. Very nicely composed and lit portraits.

Thank you - I was really pleased with that one when i got my scans back!!
I bet you were and in the cold light of day I still think it is a wonderful photo, I'd be hanging that on the wall.

They're all up there with your best work, but no2 is absolutely exceptional Shaheed, I'd be looking for a really special presentation product for that. :clap:

They're all up there with your best work, but no2 is absolutely exceptional Shaheed, I'd be looking for a really special presentation product for that. :clap:

Cheers Phil - appreciate your very kind words!

It was definitely the best one on the roll of ilford!

... no2 is absolutely exceptional Shaheed, I'd be looking for a really special presentation product for that. :clap:

Me too. But to hell with scanning the neg and dry printing it. That one in particular is crying out for a proper wet print on something like Ilford FB Warmtone. Assuming of course that you can still get it ...

PS The last one (post 14) is superb. No other word for it.

Last edited:
Just to echo what everyone else has said Shaheed, these are just exceptional quality.
They are all wall hangers. Great work.
Oh and your little models have their poses down to a tee :D

Me too. But to hell with scanning the neg and dry printing it. That one in particular is crying out for a proper wet print on something like Ilford FB Warmtone. Assuming of course that you can still get it ...

PS The last one (post 14) is superb. No other word for it.

Thank you for your kind words!

It won't be a massive print in my office but I'll enquiry around into printing it!

I do like the way Portra renders the tones.

I'm happy that I got this many keepers from my first film foray - it's been a lot of fun shooting film.

Just to echo what everyone else has said Shaheed, these are just exceptional quality.
They are all wall hangers. Great work.
Oh and your little models have their poses down to a tee :D

Cheers Iain

The girls were very patient and excited by the prospect of shooting film. I had to take iPhone pics of the WLF ground glass to show them what I could see.

As I said above, just glad to have a few keepers from this new adventure in film!!

Definitely.

I did a gazillion test prints with different labs and papers.

For mono stuff Ilford easily did the best prints - very closely followed by Metro. They both use a true black and white C-Type process which has great blacks and superb shadow detail.
Ilford don't offer FB warmtone on their website - which is a bit clunky - but their customer service is superb, give them a ring and they should be able to advise. They can also print from negs in a variety of sizes.

For colour, The Print Space and Metro were indistinguishable. fwiw I prefer C-Types on a Fuji semi-matt paper for most things.

Just to say these are very inspiring Shaheed, thanks for posting.

Thank you! Too kind!

I had a lot of fun doing these and can't wait for some more spare time to shoot some more film! I have some different "models" lined up so really looking forward to that.

For anybody who thinks they can't produce images like this......they're very wrong. Lots of practice, an appetite for learning more and the greater experience and critique from people on here. Still trying to improve....

I think you should submit this one to the next Taylor-Wessing portrait competition. Alas the deadline just closed beginning of the month.

I'm assuming that's a bit tongue in cheek!!

I have entered it into a monthly SWPP competition to see how it fares however!

I'm assuming that's a bit tongue in cheek!!
No, why? There is something very 'painterly' about this image: the pose and expression, the gradation in the mid-tones. It reminds me a bit about 'The Girl with the Pearl Earring' (lighting wise of course, the original has a whole lot of sexual context). I think people would be drawn in by its simplicity.

No, why? There is something very 'painterly' about this image: the pose and expression, the gradation in the mid-tones. It reminds me a bit about 'The Girl with the Pearl Earring' (lighting wise of course, the original has a whole lot of sexual context). I think people would be drawn in by its simplicity.
I agree, the melancholy air is charming. I'm guessing the lack of context or environment would make it struggle to gain much traction in the TWP, though.

Back