My first attempt at Aviation (RIAT 2015)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
There is a bit of a back story to this...
I had ordered some new kit (a D7000 and two lenses 18-55mm and 70-300mm) but by time I went to RIAT only the body and short lens had turned up. I made a few phone calls and luckily my local camera store had a cheap (£39) Sigma 70-300mm so at that price it would get me out of a fix.
Now I know 300mm is a little short for an air show but it's not really my genre so I thought I'd make do.
I've cropped these as the lens was a little too short and I know I should have used a slower shutter speed for the prop movement but to be honest I struggled with exposure, getting a slow enough shutter speed.
So,,,New kit, new genre. Not too shabby eh?

View attachment 42438 View attachment 42439 View attachment 42440 View attachment 42441 View attachment 42442

Hi Andy, nice first attempt! I like the composition of the Vulcan with Red Arrrows. Unfortunately, the images look a little bit soft and you've been unfortunate with some cloud coverage! I had that problem too...Valiant effort however! The pick is the last image of Grizzly for me. The Hind/Apache (I'm clearly not a chopper person...) looks good too. Well done!

Hi Andy, nice first attempt! I like the composition of the Vulcan with Red Arrrows. Unfortunately, the images look a little bit soft and you've been unfortunate with some cloud coverage! I had that problem too...Valiant effort however! The pick is the last image of Grizzly for me. The Hind/Apache (I'm clearly not a chopper person...) looks good too. Well done!

I know what you mean, not too sure why though. I've cropped most of them (some quite a bit)
I feel my focus is off though, due to being too short with lens and it was only a second hand £39 jobbie to get me out of a bind. It will be interesting to try it again with my new lens that eventually rocked up on Friday.

Excellent effort. A slower shutter speed, on the prop planes, will give a much more pleasing motion blur to the blades.

Back