My first attempt at portraits

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Well, other than family shots, at least.

My local photo society had a studio-style session with models this week. A few of the members have done some impressive portraiture work, but this was a bit of a general session with some backdrops and lighting, and each member getting a few minutes with each model.

These were all shot on film using my Nikon F80, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM, and Kodak Tmax P3200. All are handheld and the lighting was from static studio umbrella lights (I don't rally have a clue when it comes to studio set ups).

Anyway, the evening was enjoyable and I'm very happy with my results for a first attempt.

FILM - WPS Model Session
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - WPS Model Session-2

FILM - WPS Model Session-3

FILM - WPS Model Session-4

FILM - WPS Model Session-5

FILM - WPS Model Session-6

FILM - WPS Model Session-7

FILM - WPS Model Session-8

For a first attempt I think they are stunning. I dread to think what mine would be like but will hopefully be having a go in the near future.

I'd be happy with them as a first attempt, good effort

Last edited:
That's really terrific, Nige. I very much liked no 3 and 9 and 10. I don't know anything about portraiture, but there's something in the direct engagement in those shots that feels very real to me.

Really nice set. I particularly like numbers 2, 4 and 10. I’d personally have chosen a less grainy film for studio work, but the gritty look suits these shots.

For a first attempt I think they are stunning. I dread to think what mine would be like but will hopefully be having a go in the near future.

Thanks. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I think the fact I was shooting film forced me to be more choosy with my shots, so I was taking as much care as possible to get it right in camera.

I'd be happy with them as a first attempt, good effort

Thank you.

That's really terrific, Nige. I very much liked no 3 and 9 and 10. I don't know anything about portraiture, but there's something in the direct engagement in those shots that feels very real to me.

Thanks Chris. I know little about portraiture either. Jane Bown is probably the only portrait photographer whose images I’ve ever spent time looking at in any detail. She’s not a bad source of inspiration though. :)

Really nice set. I particularly like numbers 2, 4 and 10. I’d personally have chosen a less grainy film for studio work, but the gritty look suits these shots.

Thanks Gav. I decided on the P3200 because it would give me the most leeway if the lighting wasn’t bright (as it turned out I was getting shutter speeds of 1/3000sec for some shots :D ). I did like the idea of a gritty look, although it definitely works better on the male models, I think.

Very good set. I agree that the grain works best with the men apart from number 11 above which, IMHO, it suits quite well. I'm not keen on the wrinkly backgrounds in the first few and the weird backdrop in the later ones, though I'm guessing you had little control over them if the set was put together by the society.

I like the grain but maybe little too much on some of them. 2 & 3 are stunning, with 3 being my fav, a very strong portrait. Only one I'm not keen on is 6, the head position and twisted neck not so flattering on the subject.

Impressive set, more so seeing as its film.

Thanks for the replies everyone. For some reason I didn’t get notifications so sorry for the late response.

The backdrops were supplied and set up by other club members, so I was stuck with them. I removed the creases on some shots in post, but didn’t bother with the wrinkly ones.

There’s another model coming along to the club in a fortnight to give a presentation, and there may be the opportunity for more portraits. I think I heard someone say that she supplies her own lighting and backdrops too.

Back