My first ever DSO - M31 Andromeda

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got clear skies last night and did my first imaging session with my new kit. Astro modified 60D, Skywatcher EQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Esprit 80. 31 lights @ 120sec ISO 800, 22 Darks, 50 flats & 100 Bias. Processed in Pixinsight, Photoshop and Lightroom. I'd like to add at least another 30 light frames to it for more detail but that will have to wait for another clear night. Stretching it further just caused too much noise.

M31 Andromeda Galaxy V3.0 by Andy Thilo, on Flickr

Terrific result, very nice.
I really should put my kit together and get out there.

Nice. Very nice.
I have an image that looks nearly the same as yours, apart from the colour balance, with just 7 min total exposure, same iso, taken on an unmodded Canon with a 600mm lens. I really need to pull my finger out and do it again - more data with my other, modded, camera and with the benefit of 3 years of PixInsight learning (still learning - PI's like that isn't it?).

Very nice, I hope to get a similar result soon! How do you find the eq5?

Thanks :). It's a decent first mount. Weight limit for imaging is around 6kg so that needs to be considered. It's also VERY stiff out of the box so needs some tuning. Both axises are hard to balance due to being too stiff but this can be cured. I've dumped the handset and am using EQMOD directly from my laptop, makes things much simpler. In hindsight I should probably have got the HEQ5 to start with but I can learn with the EQ5.

Thats amazing, exactly what Id like to shoot, I've got a Celestron CPC 9.25 telescope but I just need to buy the Celestron HD wedge and ill be set. Shame its so pricy.

superb

Wonderful, well done (y)

Thank you all [emoji4]. Hopefully get some more if the clouds ever clear [emoji23]

Back