B&W My First Ever try with 'Foma Pan 400'

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Read a huge amount on Photo Forums about 'Foma Pan' films but never tried any UNTIL NOW ! At Brentwood Photo Club last Friday a fellow FILM FAN gave me several 120 size Foma Pan 400's
saying he couldn'y get on with them using his 'PMK' Staining Developer -- they are dated 07-2012. I loaded one into my lovely Mamiya C220 + 135mm f4.5 'Blue Dot' Sekor set and had a walk about around BRENTWOOD here in Deepest Essex . I took 6 frames. I CUT the film in my changing bag and loaded it into a small Paterson Tank. I used my home-made 'Crawley Fornula FX-4 1+1 and 'Guessed' 11 mins @ 20oc and got some really GOOD negs at 400 ASA rating !
i show a few here -- I used a x2 Yellow Filter for the Church Spire one.
Foma Pan 400 Test 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Foma Pan 400 Test 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Foma Pan 400 Test 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Foma Pan 400 Test 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Better than the results I had with it Peter. My images were very "muddy" & "flat". I much preferred Foma 100 pushed to 400 because it gave me a nice punchy contrasty look. That last image in your set though is really quite nice - and definitely has the sort of contrast I thought was lacking when I tried it.. Perhaps I should revisit...

Getting really good results there pete, particularly nice with the yellow filter.

I'm popping into Ffordes tomorrow and had decided against buying any Fomapan 100, but I'm now thinking I might buy a couple of rolls of the 400. (y)

the Camera Club member who gave me the rolls said he cannot get 'Good Results using his 'Staining Developer PMK' so you had better use an 'Ordinary Developer'

I've just bought some 5x4 foma 100 after not being able to find any decent comparison images online - wish I'd have chanced it now as that 1st image has exactly the grain and contrast I was hoping to find in a film in 5x4 that wasn't made by Ilford & wouldn't cost me a stupid amount per shot :LOL:

Thanks for sharing (y)

I like Fomapan a lot. I don't develop myself, so it's all devved in XTOL by Peak Imaging which gives me results I like, and which I can then post-process to get the final result. It lays very flat in the scanner holders too, which is always nice!

For a cheap film, I think it's pretty great.
I guess it must depend where you buy it, since the 100 is only 40p less than FP4+ at Ffordes (£3.99 / £4.39), and their HP5+ is actually 30p cheaper than Fomapan 400 (£4.39 / £4.69), all single roll 120 prices. I got a couple of rolls of the 400 to try out. (y)

I guess it must depend where you buy it, since the 100 is only 40p less than FP4+ at Ffordes (£3.99 / £4.39), and their HP5+ is actually 30p cheaper than Fomapan 400 (£4.39 / £4.69), all single roll 120 prices. I got a couple of rolls of the 400 to try out. (y)

I'm looking more at the 135 prices, where it's generally cheaper (Fomapan 100 is £1.50 a roll less than FP4+ at FFordes). Kentmere isn't far off in price for 135, but I'm not keen on that.

Go to Prague with Ryanair and see how much it is THERE !

Back