my first little owl

I've been trying to shoot Little Owls myself recently. Good job on getting so close without spooking it.
I would agree that the image needs some more punch in PP.
I just spent about two mins in PS. I created a curves adjustment layer and pulled the blacks over to the right a little, then created an S curve dropping the shadows and lifting the highlights a touch.
I then added a saturation adjustment layer to increase the saturation a little.
It gives the same image more pop.
Nice first effort though
Have a play....

Last edited:
The OP's profile say's
Edit My Images "NO"

**Mod edit**
That last bit is not required!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, apologies to the OP. I only joined yesterday, so forgive me a noob error. I'll delete the link right now.

Thanks for the comments ,I will change the edit as always looking for help.

All changed feel free to help out with picture.
As for this Little owl I found out he likes a fallen tree with a good perch that he was sat on late in the afternoon , can they be lured to an area ?.

AUbGuJl.jpg

This is what I came up with, using the steps I detailed.
It's not brilliant, but shows you that you can bring out a lot in an image with minimal (and not really cheating) effort

You can use mealworm as they love them. But that opens up a can of worms (pun intended) on the question of ethics...

All changed feel free to help out with picture.
As for this Little owl I found out he likes a fallen tree with a good perch that he was sat on late in the afternoon , can they be lured to an area ?.
Lured to area is difficult, little owls hold territories and successful breeding pairs will stay in the same area for years ,yours is a owlet(juvenile) and will soon move on to his/her own territory in a few weeks, owlets will have a favoured perch that they feel confident on and will use it all the time more or less at the same time every day ,commitment is needed to dedicate yourself to a certain subject to get the images you want

You can use mealworm as they love them. But that opens up a can of worms (pun intended) on the question of ethics...
Why....you feed Robins mealworms(not having a go at you Hix), not a problem baiting them with mealworms ,its getting them to come in for it ,I know something they cant resist ,took me a while but they love them more than mealworms(and its not mice) ,also they wont take them if wet and they only take live mealworms ,whatever you do don't feed them dry, saying that they wont take them anyway

Technically it is live-baiting. Hence my caveat.
The ones near me are really easily spooked. It's a fairly busy part of public land, but they are very very wary.
Even with a 300 and 2x I can't get anyway near close enough.
Shame as there are loads......

To be honest you don't need to bait them to get shots ,I have three successful breeding pairs in a 6 mile radius and only one site is baited, I have flight shots from a non baited site and loads of owlet shots..if you watch them long enough you soon find their flight paths and habits ,more so in breeding season ....the edit vastly improves the image BTW

we had one on the meal worrm feeder in our garden (admittedly i live on a farm in the middle of nowhere) - it was getting dark so i didnt snap it, but it does raise the hope of finding a more natural site for a hide

Back