My first Macro shots

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday I received the HOYA macro filters that I purchased from malla1962.

Thought I'd give it a go on my daily watch.

First surprised how the mirror action creates enough camera shake, so I used the camera for the 1st time with mirror lockup on a 2 sec timer.

Shame the watch is so scratched though :|

Any idea what I can do to improve the lighting. How easy is it to make a lightbox?

Here's 2 pics anyway: (click on the images for a larger picture)

Love these, very very good, the first one has the edge for me because of the good use of dof.

Timepieces like this always look fantastic close up dont they !!

Good work, more please !!

I agree lovely shot and welcome to the world of macro ;)

Cheers peeps.

The first one was incredibly hard to take to be honest under a normal tungsten light, I just kept getting bright spots on the rim of the watch. Still, its a nice, fun way to do some photography when its raining outside, so there will be more.

I may try to take some pics of the rear of the movement where you can see the auto winding counter-weight :)

Welcome to macro which can get addictive, very sharp photos love them both but as previous stated, first one because of DOF

Hi, sorry as I am still learning about certain things, could you explain what HOYA macro filters are and do please?

Any idea what I can do to improve the lighting. How easy is it to make a lightbox?

Hi 30psi!

A very simple set-up you might like to try for shooting small flat(ish) things like coins, watch works, etc...

Take a rectangular box and remove the ends so you have a rectangular tube.
Cut square hole in one side (this will now be the front)
Attach plain glass inside tube at 45 degrees from top of hole down to rear of tube (think periscope)
Place tube over subject (end down)
Place your light in front of tube to shine into tube thro' hole
Place camera looking down thro' tube end
Shoot!

Effectively what you've got is your camera pointing straight down at subject, your light at right-angle to both but glass insert deflects light down onto subject and subject bounces light back up to camera. Only the light reflecting off the subj enters camera. It's a way of providing frontal lighting to subj without you or camera getting in the way.

Easier to do than to explain. People (other togs) will wonder how you did it!

Nice... I'm thinking about getting some of these filters in the distant future

Eoghan

I still dont know what they do?! Do they attach to a current lens or what?

I still dont know what they do?! Do they attach to a current lens or what?

Hi shrimper!

Basically there are 2 types of lenses you can use for macro:

the first is actually a lens to replace your standard lens

the second type of 'lens' should more accurately be called filters as they are like a magnifying glass that screws on to the end of your lens like any filter

I'm not familiar with the Hoya stuff they're taliking about here but I'm guessing they are filters.

brilliant thanks. So they are just like a normal polar filter? So they would attach to my lens in the sig?

Macro filters come in different strengths offering diff amounts of magnification. Often come in sets of 3. And in various size screw thread to fit your lens. Can be used 1 at a time or stacked on top of each other.

Problem is - will never really equal the quality of a proper (quality) macro lens.

Yeah I didn't mess around with these, I stacked one on top of each other straight away.

I was using my 28-105 f/3.5 lens for this. The standard kit lens probably won't be ideally suitable because the manual focus ring is awful and wobbles around so it will be very difficult for the subject to be sharp after you let go of the focus ring.

The Hoya filters are on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hoya-67mm-Clo...ageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

But be sure to choose the right sized filter for your lens filter thread.

I'm not familiar with the Hoya stuff they're taliking about here but I'm guessing they are filters.

Actually, wife has just reminded me I did use to have a set of Hoya macro filters for my Praktica. (How she knows I'm not quite sure as I've only known her 12 years and I gave the Praktica away in 1980/81 when I bought my first Nikon! Must have been talking in my sleep again!:LOL:)

Yes as a cheap intro to macro they can't be faulted. Look at 30psi's results.

I couldn't resist taken a pic of something so I pulled some Jelly beans out of the big tub I got at Xmas: (click on image for a larger picture)

Back