My First orb

Name
john
Edit My Images
No
well i sat here tonight browsing the forum and saw a few post about orbs and light painting etc and thought i'd have a go, so out came the lights and some wire and made myself a little rig, then it was off outside for a play. Now i know its rubbish but we all have to start somewhere.
well here is the best one of the bunch and i hope i can get better at it

My First Ever Orbe by minchew1, on Flickr

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by minchew1, on Flickr

all c&c welcome more so some tips(y):thumbsdown::bang:

Speaking as an "orb maker" myself, you've certainly got the right idea when it comes to orb making.

It is true that the hardest thing to do when it comes to taking photos in the dark is trying to get the focus in the right place simply because you can't see it - even DSLRs struggle with that on autofocus mode. Best thing to do is to put the lens on manual focus and turn it right round to infinity and then turn it back a tiny tiny fraction and leave it on Manual. Once you've done that then you won't need to worry about that.
Secondly, exposure timings; usually 30 seconds would suffice as well as putting the aperture at around F11. That way not only the orb will show up well, at the same time it will bring out some of the background to give the whole thing more context.

But like I said, you've got the general concept when it comes to the orb itself, thus I would like to see you try again with the camera settings to mind. Practice does make perfect and I reckon you can do it.

Last edited:
Nice first attempt , never tried this myself so might have a go when my camera arrives next week.

Search Wire Wool orbs some amazing shots and will inspire you even more.

Not a terrible first effort by any means (y) you need to work on focus that is actually easier to deal with than you might think, just take your light source and turn it on then leave it where you intend to stand then use AF to focus before then switching to manual focus (y) and your good to go (y)

Try putting something on the floor to keep passing your light source over while your spinning as that will then allow you spin a more consistent orb (y)

Matt

Thank for all the great informative comments. Cheers for the tips matt, I will try it later

if we are going with tips :)

i was once told as your spinning over your chosen dot or point on the ground, walk backwards around that point, ensuring the light source spins through everytime. Alot of people step sideways but i find walking backwards works for me.

Depends how many times you go round and how many orbs you do at once though, you can get very dizzy hahaha

Back