My first take on street photography

Name
Mariusz
Edit My Images
Yes
Really like the composition/framing in no 1, well done.

I like the framing and exposure in no 1 but I think it may benefit from correcting the horizontal and vertical plane. Number 3 & 4 are just random people that don't appear to be engaged in their environment or you with them, an element of disconnection prevails. Great effort for first attempt though all round !

I would be interested to know which lens you used if you would be kind enough to mention. i was thinking of using my nikon AFS 50mm f1.4G on my Nikon d800, or on my Nikon D300 the AFS12-24mm f1.4G ED DX lens

Last edited:
I think there are good for a first attempt. Only a few comments or words of wisdom. All my opinion of course, so take with a pinch of salt.

1. Don't feel the need to mono everything!
2. Street photography isn't (just) about taking photos that happen to be on a street. By that I mean don't just abandon composition, contrast, complimenting colours, interesting shadows etc etc....
3. Look for layers and interesting light. This is what really sets the best apart from the rest of us.

I would be interested to know which lens you used if you would be kind enough to mention. i was thinking of using my nikon AFS 50mm f1.4G on my Nikon d800, or on my Nikon D300 the AFS12-24mm f1.4G ED DX lens

Hi,

At the moment i only have my trusted 50mm f/1.8 available, mounted on D750.

#1 is the best as said, nicely framed ... personally I don't like the feet cut off in the others :)
Taking photos in the street is challenging, I still sometimes feel anxious about doing it but then at other times it seems perfectly natural ... keep at it :D

Another vote for #1 as being the stand out from the set Mariusz.
As has been mentioned above by Roger, clipping the feet in the others is unfortunate.
May I ask how you are shooting? Camera to eye or shooting from the hip?

Firstly - congrats on getting out there and doing it. My first go was nerve wracking.

It's interesting how different things work for different folk.

My take:

#1 nice light, framing, timing but ultimately a dull subject.

#2 technically fine but not interesting

#3 now we're getting somewhere.. But a different angle may have worked much better.

#4 Easily the best. Great light & look at the humanity & experience in her face.

Like them exspoure amd mono work looks really great and punchy (i'm a colour guy but enjyed the mono in these).

4 is deffo streets ahead in this set for me too.

Gaz

I think there are good for a first attempt. Only a few comments or words of wisdom. All my opinion of course, so take with a pinch of salt.

1. Don't feel the need to mono everything!
2. Street photography isn't (just) about taking photos that happen to be on a street. By that I mean don't just abandon composition, contrast, complimenting colours, interesting shadows etc etc....
3. Look for layers and interesting light. This is what really sets the best apart from the rest of us.

Agree. Plus, content. Content is everything. These are basically photos of nothing. Which may be fine for your first time out shooting 'street photography', once you get your confidence with shooting in public, you can stop worrying about people looking at you (or whatever) and start looking for interesting photos.

Another vote for #1 as being the stand out from the set Mariusz.
As has been mentioned above by Roger, clipping the feet in the others is unfortunate.

I've never tried shooting from the hip, always camera to eye, but trying to be as quick with it as possible...

Why would anyone ever shoot from the hip? Just asking for a punching imho. Take a shot and apologise if necessary. Get caught being sneaky and it will lead to a world of trouble.

I like the first and last but personally I think it would have been better portrait. You can always crop later.

Why would anyone ever shoot from the hip? Just asking for a punching imho. Take a shot and apologise if necessary. Get caught being sneaky and it will lead to a world of trouble.

I like the first and last but personally I think it would have been better portrait. You can always crop later.

You will have to ask those that do Wayne, its a technique that people employ to get the shot.
Not something I would advocate for numerous reasons. The reason I asked Mariusz how he made the shots was because of the majority of the compositions had cut people's feet off. It suggested to me that he wasn't looking through the viewfinder.
Mariusz has since answered my question above.

Because the second to raise the camera, things can change. You may generate a different expression from your subject or get eye contact when you don't want it. I've used hip shooting countless times over the years to good effect and never had a problem. The shots I got from the hip I would never have gotten with a camera to my eye, although, there are plenty of times I intentionally use the viewfinder too. Another use of hip shooting is the viewpoint too. Not my favourite technique, but a very valid one that I've used on and off for five years now.

Well done for getting out there and starting to have a go with street. Not as easy as it looks, and it only gets harder when you get wider and closer to the action.
1. Too cluttered for me behind the guy and it's just a guy walking by. Needs either a story or aesthetic value
2. Woman paying a cab isn't enough of a story and the comp needs work
3. If you're going to do a street portrait either get closer or make the surroundings more relevant or interesting
4. Watch the cropped feet and cluttered background. Her expression just seems to be curious about why you're taking a pic.

Street doesn't have to be mono too so play with colour. Well done for gettig out there and good luck going forward

Back