My first Urbex

Quite frankly, those comments could be made about a very large part of the landscape and portrait sections of the forum. So why single out one post because the word "urbex" pushes your buttons?[/QUOTE]
Because 99% of urbex images are really weak but seem to be claiming to be more.

How about this for extreme urbex? This intrepid (insert appropriate adjective here) trekked for a couple of days (and at night to avoid security) across the desert to sneak inside this abandoned Russian space complex. I don't think H&S were informed...
http://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned...-baikonur-cosmodrome-kazakhstan-ralph-mirebs/

I've seen those images some years ago on englishrussia.com - an amazing subject and environment.

One could view urbex as a combination of landscape and architectural photography. I'd be interested to know if you thought landscape photography should use props and models too?

While I agree that not all the photos have a distinct point of interest to draw the eye, the corridor that descends into shadow is one that grabs me. I like the way it leads the eye into the unknown and tells the story of the exploration of an abandoned building.
I also think a lot of people don't understand the way Urbexing works or how constraining the location/situation can be on your shots. Props are completely against the spirit of the style. This is personal opinion, but I think 'models' seem out of place in most of the situations, there are a few Urbex shots I've seen including people, and they usually look more like idiots taking unnecessary risks than thought out subjects.

Thanks for commenting Ben. This is very much a style I'm learning, and I should probably have presented fewer images, rather than try to create a 'story' from a set.

Last edited:
Thanks for commenting Ben. This is very much a style I'm learning, and I should probably have poresented fewer images, rather than try to create a 'story' from a set.

Don't be disheartened by some of the comments on here. Stick at it and seek inspiration from some of the better urbex sites on the net. My favourite has long been heck van rensbergens abandoned places website but there are many more, such as forgottenheritage.co.uk.

Don't be disheartened by some of the comments on here. Stick at it and seek inspiration from some of the better urbex sites on the net. My favourite has long been heck van rensbergens abandoned places website but there are many more, such as forgottenheritage.co.uk.

Thanks Andy. I'm not upset, but I also need some time in order o go back & do better. :)

You could say that about 100% of the camera club pictures I've seen. :D

Seriously, I wish people would get out of the mentality that every single photograph they take has to be 'stunning' or just plain wonderful.

When making a series of pictures of a documentary nature (telling a story) not every picture has to be 'great' in camera club terms. Some can be boring as compositions but used to break things up visually, or provide detail to help the narrative along. It all comes down to sequencing and/or presentation which is worth considering at some stage.

Just my take on things.

Can't imagine the majority of camera club members doing too well in decaying and potentially dangerous structures.

Sounds more like euthanasia on a grand scale, those corridors look like a recipe for disaster with mobility scooters and walking frames

I'm a fan of dilapidation, especially when there is nature taking back the space which it originally occupied. It always gives me a sense of enigmatic adventure when I see a photo set like this, in real life I'm praying for a secret staircase. Amazing set though, really well shot and developed.

Thank you Terry, very kind. I'd love to find somewhere with a staircase like that, or perhaps a chair with a book & slippers.

My complaint is the lack of imagination. Just photographing a corridor is a bit lame imo. Urbex can be done well but this isn't it

My complaint is the lack of imagination. Just photographing a corridor is a bit lame imo. Urbex can be done well but this isn't it
Hi Darren, to be fair to Toni @ancient_mariner he did say it was his first Urbex. Yes, it probably could do with a little something more, to really draw the viewer in and give us that certain feeling when viewing images. I too would love to get some of this style of photos. Any hints and tips, you can give us?

I've no idea if Darren has done any urbex, so I'll offer my tips based on how I do it:

1) Do internals first, externals afterwards (in case you get busted - it's easier to revisit and do externals)
2) Explore different compositons - go wide angle, get close up, lie on the floor (if it's safe, and not covered in glass, needles, etc), look up at the ceilings, frame photographs looking through windows and doors.
3) Look for the evidence of past human activity - old signs, documents, etc.
4) Light and shadow - smashed in walls, doors and floors can let in light where it didn't used to - can anything be made of this?
5) Look how nature is taking over - plants growing through walls, etc.
6) Consider bracketing if inside as you may have areas of extreme shadow and light.
7) Reflections - sometimes places with no roof or a leaky roof can give some interesting internal reflections.
8) Is there a single shot that really captures the essence of the place?
9) Editting - consider choosing 5-10 shots that tell the story, that show different facets of the place.

I got commissioned last year to do an urbex style shoot on a mobile phone, have a look at the pictures here: http://www.theviewfromthenorth.org/london-road-fire-station-samsung. I'm not posting these for critique, but as a recent example of how I personally photograph abandoned places.

I doubt that AM takes me that seriously even when I did appear to give him stick. @ error bloke: yes we've learned the basics of photography to try to tell a story. & are working on it.
@jonbeeza: You know the space you're invading? Unless it's a place of archaeological importance you can just be a photographer again. Use props, rearrange things, take shots from unexpected angles, etc...
As a photography fan/camera owner the only tech tip tip I can offer from experience is to underexpose by a stop or two to give you more to work with in Adobe products or whatever you use

Urbex is a real passion of mine, and I really like these. The perspectives and textures give a real sense of atmosphere, which IMHO is exactly what Urbex is all about.

As far as people complaining about lack of subject or whatever, the whole point of Urbex is that the place itself IS the subject, and to bring in props etc defeats the whole purpose of exploring. I'm not saying I don't arrange items sometimes for the sake of composition, but only ever stuff that's already in a place.

If it's not your cup of tea then so be it, but for those of us who like decay I think these are a great set of pics.

Back