Critique My first wedding... critique please!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Around this time last year, I was asked by some friends to take some engagement photos for them in London ahead of their wedding later in the year in Chicago (I got some great feedback from this forum, over here.

Well, a while after being invited to the wedding, I was asked by the couple if I'd consider taking their wedding photos too. After an enormous amount of thought (and expectation-management), I agreed... I had about 4 months lead time to get in all the practice and research I could, and dropped everything else photographic in order to get as prepared as possible.

Below are some of the results - there's a larger gallery at http://www.tomgillespie.co.uk/Paul-Linda/n-r4QnNV/ which it'd be great if you had time to check out.

Firstly... my god was it hard work. Huge respect to those of you who do this professionally week in week out! I shudder now when I think of the threads I read in the Business forum of people doing 4 weddings back to back over the Easter weekend! My girlfriend (who helped as second shooter) and I walked about 8 miles around Chicago (the loop, for anyone who's familiar with the city) on the Saturday, before getting up at 7am on the Sunday of the wedding to survey the venue and then going strong until midnight. I have honestly never been so mentally and physically drained after a day as I was after that wedding - including when I ran a marathon.

For an amateur like myself, each 'setting' during the day would have typically been a fairly large photographic project in itself. From being inside the hotel with harsh tungsten lighting but large windows, we found outside in clear blue sky 30+ degree heat on the streets of Chicago, then moments later in a trolley bus, then 5 minutes after that in a dark warehouse building with super high, dark ceilings. Keeping my head together to switch modes/ISOs/settings whilst trying not to miss a beat was incredibly intense. I could barely walk the day after, I was so tired from running, crouching etc. I was even forming blisters on my 'grip hand'.

All of this said, I'm really pleased with the results. It was bloody hard work, but it was worth it. Picking a tiny number to place here has been exceptionally hard, but there's more at the link above if anyone cares to take a look. I'd absolutely love to get feedback if people have the time to look through. thank you!

(an important thing to point out for people who are familiar with British, but not American weddings... the first time the bride and groom see each other is not necessarily at the altar. At this wedding (which I think is quite typical) the guys all got ready from 8am till about 1pm... then we had the 'first-look' - see the photos round the door. The bride and groom see each other early in the day, then go to take their couples' photos, in this case round Chicago, before the ceremony. Then they enter the ceremony together after the families, bridesmaids etc.)

i-4jvdbPj-XL.jpg

i-ffGDPLV-XL.jpg

i-DMCNwC3-XL.jpg

i-BJfgVdq-XL.jpg

i-zKbm2f8-XL.jpg

i-FZcbR27-XL.jpg

i-mPKtHcp-X2.jpg

i-V84xfTr-XL.jpg

I'm no professional, but if they were for me, I'd be very happy.

For a first wedding those are images that you can be proud of.

Few issues with colours, especially the latter images but a good set in all.

#5 could have been loads better if the crossing lines were either straight or diagonal and not in between. That would be a good black and white

#6 Not sure on this image, you should be on the other side when she is entering.

7 & 8 are too dark and the white balance is out. They drag a decent set down.

OK, looking at those 8 from the POV of an ex-pro wedding snapper ...

#1 & 3 Well caught

#2 Nice enough for what it is

#4 & 5 Boring, dated and been done to death, but if those are shots they wanted, they're competent enough. (Ref Danny's comment above, I guess he's never tried this shot under pressure ;)

#6 I'd have binned that one. There was a picture there, but that's not it. You needed to be closer to them to get more of what's important (the waiting groom and the room) and less of what isn't (the door-holders).

#7 and #8 Good as you've any right to expect given the lighting, but your processing's dropped off.

Now, having said that, I've enjoyed checking out the full works and it is very good indeed. And I speak as one who's very familiar with US wedding photography and who still has pals over there shooting them nationally. It's a great coverage (and no wonder you were knackered after it) and you really did get some excellent shots. Out of the whole thing, there's less than 20 that I'd bin on the grounds that they're a bit limp compared to the rest and so tend to lower the overall impact just a tad. I can almost feel how much your brain hurt by the time you'd finally tagged the keepers.

We'd have been well pleased with that if it was ours. Well done :)

PS I know they can be hard work at times, but don't you just love working with American/Canadian bridal parties?

Last edited:
#4 & 5 Boring, dated and been done to death but if those are shots they wanted, they're competent enough. (Ref Danny's comment above, I guess he's never tried this shot under pressure ;)

Hasn't pretty much everything been done to death now? In the city I guess you're not exactly presented with magical opportunities around every corner.

My experience has nothing to do with this. I offered helpful critique on what in my view would improve the image.

What a fanstastic set of images, as I was going through the whole set I felt like I was actually there at the event. I like the style, the detail shots are exceptional, and there's very few posed group shots (a positive IMO) and in the few you have done everyone is smiling and looks as though they are enjoying the event massively. In the blog the shots of them opening the cards either side of the door and then seeing each other captures a great moment. I actually like number 4 above, but then I've not seen this sort of shot before (not a 'tog!).

I agree with the comment above, processing looks better in the earlier shots, and perhaps you'd had enough of PP by the time you got to the later shots and were taking less time? Would be understandable given the amount of images and perhaps the desire to get them to the B&G in a timely fashion. You may want to revisit some of the evening shots? Only real crit is in relation to some of the evening shots which show motion, bit of blur, etc. due to no flash being used. Only my opinion but perhaps a few select ones would be better than the number you have included?

Very impressive overall, and if we hadn't already got a photographer booked for our wedding next year I would be giving you a call!

Last edited:
Hasn't pretty much everything been done to death now?

When it comes to set-up wedding snaps, yes.

My experience has nothing to do with this. I offered helpful critique on what in my view would improve the image.

Absolutely agree that your experience has nothing to do with this, and of course your suggestion about a possible improvement to #5 is as valid as anybody's. The only reason for my light-hearted (note the wink) comment about that suggestion is that it's a counsel of perfection, which is rarely if ever attainable with this type of shot when shooting a real wedding.

:)

from a non pro point of view (i've only done a few weddings) I think you've done well
there are a couple in there which I don't like much (based upon blurring or the use of a really wide angle lens, people being half hidden in group shots or catching them when they're not at their best) but the story board looks great overall.
Seems to convey a really nice energy from throughout the day. As for the images which are cliqué..? well although they've been done before I'm sure the B&G don't have them already and they look good (to me).

Thanks everyone for taking time to give feedback! I'm travelling at the moment and trying to reply via my phone which is taking a bit longer than I'd like... Pls excuse the typos...

The processing on the evening shots was a little tricky. The venue was *dark*, and I don't just mean from a photographic point of view but just generally in the sense it was a dark, moody warehouse feel. I wanted to try to differentiate these shots from the rest of the day - especially the super bright environments in the hotel and outside - which is why I allowed them to be a bit darker and keep something of a tungsten balance. I'll have another play with the evening ones though and see if I can find another style that works. Although I didn't realise it at the time perhaps there was indeed some editing fatigue setting in.

The blurred shots in the eve were deliberate... Perhaps I've not quite pulled off the drag shutter effect I was going for! These were with the flash - you'd have seen nothing otherwise save for 12,800 ISO - and I was trying to capture some of the energy (the invite described the evening as an 'insane dance party').

PS I know they can be hard work at times, but don't you just love working with American/Canadian bridal parties?

Sid - you're absolutely right - the whole wedding party was such good fun. It was actually super relaxed too (the wedding that is... The photo taking was anything but relaxed) which helped. It was the first time I'd attended a US wedding so plenty of surprises and new experiences to take on board, thankfully there was a wedding planner there who helped coordinate timing etc.

great shots, the one with the door frame in i'd straighten a little and i'd lift the shadows on the last one slightly but great work :)

edit : being nitpicky i'd probably get rid of the orange light bit? near the bottom of the walking across the road shot and depending on how candid/documentary your styling is i'd look to tidy up a little of the area for the couch shots :)

Last edited:
big congrats for popping your cherry, i like the photos and if thats your first wedding you will have a good career. I've done a wedding and found it very hard and challanging and its a long day. The photos are all bright and vibrant and show what a lovely day they had.

I went through the full set and no word of a lie, for a first go these are exceptional! They are as good (if not better) than many experienced pros would deliver, I'd personally be happy receiving these and also pretty happy if I'd shot some of them... Well done, I hope you get more weddings as a result of this as you're definitely good enough to do this more often and it could end up being a good career if you play your cards right

Very good shots - with no qualifier of 'for your first time' necessary :) Very good shots, full stop! I'm sure they were very happy with the results and you'll go on to even better things in the weddings to come :)

Having a look through the set, the only constructive criticism I can offer at all is that whilst I appreciate wide lenses can be used for a great effect and a modern feel (as you did successfully in shot #1 above), I personally don't like fairly standard group portraits taken in the 24mm and below range, e.g. this one:

i-frMRdd4.jpg

The reason is that I hate the 'alien head' distortion on the girl on the left! I do appreciate that you probably had very limited space to operate in, but for me I'd rather bunch the group a bit more to fit into a 35mm lens' frame at the widest for such shots :) Just a little thing, otherwise you are doing a fantastic job and your work far surpasses the work of many 'seasoned pros' I've seen!

Last edited:
thanks guys... again I really appreciate the feedback and am really quite taken aback by the kind words. The photography shared and discussed on this forum was and is a huge ongoing inspiration, and to get such positive feedback from photographers I respect deeply is quite humbling.

Harry, it's a fair point on the wide angle shots... a bit of a rookie mistake, we were at times using wide zooms but could have pushed a few of these shots to the 35mm+ end rather than relying on wider angles. something to bear in mind for the future.

I've actually been asked to shoot another 2 weddings for friends on the back of these plus one friend-of-a-friend (who would have been a paying customer)... unfortunately I've relocated internationally since this wedding and we're unable to make it back for any of the three weddings. Sadly, my visa does not allow me to pursue any work outside of my sponsoring employer, so wedding photos are off the cards for me for the time being. There's a decent amount of sadness attached to that as I throroughly enjoyed the whole experience, but I'll try to apply myself in a different way that uses the same skills whilst I'm overseas.

thanks again everyone!

A lot of photos to get through on the site but wow! Some really great moments in there!! Wish my first wedding was this good!

Can't really add much to what has already been said. These are really good for many weddings, let alone a first one. It's a shame you won't be shooting any more as per your last post as I would look forward to seeing them.

thanks guys... again I really appreciate the feedback and am really quite taken aback by the kind words. The photography shared and discussed on this forum was and is a huge ongoing inspiration, and to get such positive feedback from photographers I respect deeply is quite humbling.

Harry, it's a fair point on the wide angle shots... a bit of a rookie mistake, we were at times using wide zooms but could have pushed a few of these shots to the 35mm+ end rather than relying on wider angles. something to bear in mind for the future.

I've actually been asked to shoot another 2 weddings for friends on the back of these plus one friend-of-a-friend (who would have been a paying customer)... unfortunately I've relocated internationally since this wedding and we're unable to make it back for any of the three weddings. Sadly, my visa does not allow me to pursue any work outside of my sponsoring employer, so wedding photos are off the cards for me for the time being. There's a decent amount of sadness attached to that as I throroughly enjoyed the whole experience, but I'll try to apply myself in a different way that uses the same skills whilst I'm overseas.

thanks again everyone!

Could you not shoot them for free, get the clients to pay for your travel costs etc but basically not accept any payment? I'm just thinking it's a good way to build up a portfolio and not miss out on the chance to maybe start something that could in the long term end up your career?

Gareth, Jack, thanks for the kind words :)

Andy, I probably sounded a little defeatist in my last post - I haven't given up on the idea but I just need to be very careful. The problem is that there's very little burden of proof on immigration officials - if I do a wedding for free and an official suspects I was paid, they can revoke my visa at their will... They wouldn't need to prove I earned money from the shoot. I do have an immigration lawyer out here who's working on my girflriend's visa, so I'm going to pick their brain on how I might be able to proceed. I'd like to find a solution of some sort as its been a goal of mine for some time to do wedding photography, I've put in a ton of work and I'd hate to give up here. I really appreciate your comments!

Actually I forgot - I found a behind the scenes shot sent to me by another guest.. He managed to take this exactly as #4 above was taken - you can actually see the glow of the flash, which was being held by my girlfriend, who's partly obscured by the wing mirror-

16657560154_eb4f9ce31e_k.jpg

Last edited:
Back