My late dad....25 years ago

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
I used to be a professional studio photographer about 25 years ago when I lived in Norfolk where I am from.
Sold up when I moved here 20 years ago to be with my now wife.
Havnt touched a proper camera since then, until yesterday when I bought a Minolta Dynax 800si kit.
Not really in to digital work, prefer working in film medium, especially black and white and darkroom work.
My dream 35mm camera was always a Nikon F4 and Hasselblad medium format SLR. Hoping to get a Nikon kit very soon!
Have had work published in national photo magazine and critiques written by Mike Maloney (FRPS).
Anyway, been digging up some old prints....here is one of my first attempts at character portraiture. Its my late dad and my favourite ever pic of him. Taken on Ilfor XP2 and printed at home on Ilford MC paper.
Lighting provided by the modelling lights on my Bowens 500 heads

Dad.jpg

I stared at that for a long time.

Wish I had taken one of my Dad like that.

I stared at that for a long time.

Wish I had taken one of my Dad like that.
Thanks mate. Special pic of a special bloke.
Dad was a through and through Norfolk old timer....agricultural engineer and worked the land all his life.
Captures him perfectly if I do say so myself.
TBH, I think he was quite chuffed when I asked him to pose for me!!

Your obviously very talented, and a photograph such as this one will only unlock many more memories of him as time goes on thanks for sharing.

Your obviously very talented, and a photograph such as this one will only unlock many more memories of him as time goes on thanks for sharing.
Thanks Derek....just need to find the original print and get it framed after all this time!!! :oops: :$

love this shot. Tell me, what did your Dad think of it?
TBH...My dad very rarely showed his emotions, he was a bit of a mans man, I was surprised when he agreed to pose for me. However, he said he liked it and I remember the grin he had on his face !!!

Any tips or advice, i have never done this type of portrait
Wow, I'm not to sure where to start!
I guess with character portraiture, you either have to know your subject very well, or have a clearly defined picture in you head of the persona you wish to convey to your audience.
What sort of person are they, characteristically, what is there over riding personality.
I think with my father, he was quite a serious person sometimes, so I wanted to convey that, and I also wanted to give the impression of age and the fact that he worked hard on the land all his life, in all weathers, so i wanted a 'hardness' to the image.
But dad had very blue, and very caring eyes, and although I wanted the image to be black and white, I still wanted that to be evident, which I think it is?
Technically, I wanted to capture texture of skin and relief in the image, so, as you will note from the catchlights in his eyes and the reflection in his glasses, I used a single Bowens studio head to light it. I think I just used the modelling light, but then again, studying the reflection again, I think it was probably on flash.

But dad had very blue, and very caring eyes, and although I wanted the image to be black and white, I still wanted that to be evident, which I think it is?

Certainly. I much prefer to see it in these tones.
I am not sure that you have conveyed the 'hardness' in the shot, and , in any event , I think that would be a mistake.
To me it is much softer and much better for it. To me it conveys thoughtfulness and kindness. Yes, hardworking but not a 'hard 'man (y)

Certainly. I much prefer to see it in these tones.
I am not sure that you have conveyed the 'hardness' in the shot, and , in any event , I think that would be a mistake.
To me it is much softer and much better for it. To me it conveys thoughtfulness and kindness. Yes, hardworking but not a 'hard 'man (y)
No, dad was never a 'hard' man, he was very gentle. He had a hard life in so far as he worked hard. Even when unemployed or retired he had to be doing 'something', usually tending his field, or tinkering about in his shed at home.

Back