My Light Painting Evolving

Now for a few more from last nights clod a wet night, won't do this again, my camera doesn't suit an Argos bag over it!

First off is some V24 ghosts, been wanting to try them for a while, the first in the house wasn't to successful. They are a lot harder than they look! Also first outing since the breakage and repair job on the V24, happy days. Taken at Lady Matheson's monument in the Lewis Castle Grounds.

A Ghostly Memorial by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Next is another Orb done in the small garden area a few meters from the monument. A bit of LED light to help brighten the place and bluebells up.

The Eye of Sauron by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

First go at a broken Orb... Not so easy, timing form switching on and off is critical, more practise I think!

Broken Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

The first shot is much more interesting to me. I mean no offense but everyone does circles and the are starting to look alike. I think this is a fascinating art that should motivate the mind to do the unusual, (like the first shot). :clap:

The first shot is much more interesting to me. I mean no offense but everyone does circles and the are starting to look alike. I think this is a fascinating art that should motivate the mind to do the unusual, (like the first shot). :clap:

I know what you mean about the Orbs etc, however I do try to make mine a bit different know, especially the places I do them. I used to do them all the time now I am moving away from them and trying more challenging and technical things (Not that Orbs are anything but easy... to get perfect that is) its all learning! :LOL: Thanks for the comment!

Heres a few more from last nights trip to the Norse Mill and Kiln.

The Kiln

Iron Age Orbery by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Inside the Mill

Norse Mill Reworked by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

The Mill looking over Shawbost

Looking Norse by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love the 3rd image of the house, and the last one looks like someone has exploded. Excellent work.

Wow those are really cool. Where on earth do you find these places? i was thinking a fisheye would make for a really fantastic shoot.

Thanks, well I live on quite a small island which has alot of history and old buildings... as said before I'm spoiled up here haha. Yea I have thought about getting a fisheye but funds just won't stretch (and won't for a very long time)

I love the 3rd image of the house, and the last one looks like someone has exploded. Excellent work.

Thanks glad you like.

Another two from the trip:

Shawbost Kiln Relit by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

My Favoite from the trip, as you can see by the inside shot of the mill, this was a pretty tight Orb to squeeze in! Love it.

Milling Around by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

I have just created My Facebook Page if you would spend a few minutes to take a look, like and share for me that would be great!

Last edited:
One from my most recent trip. Been wanting to go here for a while, it's a great place... Better than I imagined, will be going back as not 100% happy with what I did with some of the shots so will redo them. Here's a sneak peek though!

A Sneeky Peeky by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

mata.morrison said:
Haha yea thats a good point mate, well the sparks aren't as intense as they look in the shot. Seeing as the sparks are spread over time in the shot you don't get hit by much, think of a slightly large sparkler :D Although you do have to watch that the ground doesn't light up!

Another night out tonight, this time to the Shawbost Norse Mill and Kiln to do a bit more stuff. Here's the first of the bunch :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-m_morrison/8021406937/
Anybody Home? by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

And no hair gel hahaha

Cracking images, ive just got of the multicolour led lensers from Germany. Cant wait to have a go. What items did you use for the orbs and where did you get the leds etc from?

Cheers

Cracking images, ive just got of the multicolour led lensers from Germany. Cant wait to have a go. What items did you use for the orbs and where did you get the leds etc from?

Cheers

Cool! Get cracking with it! Details of the stuff I got should be further up the page I think, been mentioned a few times in the thread. All from ebay and less than a few quid for 2 sets.

More from Sundown Villa :)

The Steps by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

The Lights Are On... by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

A Kitchen Gone Missing by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

In By The Fire by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Ruined... by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

All of Sundown were taken over two nights, great times out!

A quick 30 minute trip to do a bit of Troy Paiva esque shoot at a wee scrap yard 30 seconds from where I am just now. Great fun, a few interesting things to soot but most of the rest had already been flattened ready to be shipped out. Here's the first shot

In The Driving Seat by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

A quick half hour project tonight for something a bit different.

Tools required: Cheese grater, torch, and Red gel for the grater. LED, yellow gel and a piece of string for the physiogram, add a little magic and away you go :)

Grated Light by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Hi Matthew,

Followed your link from your Aurora thread. You have created some fantastic photos :) Now the nights have pulled in, I might have ago at some light painting myself (y)

Best Regards
Danny

Full moon time again :D although the weather isn't up to much I managed out for half an hour last night.

Full Moon Wreck by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

An old Airidh (Moor house) that's fallen into disrepair over the years, Yn-467 with purple gel and Canon 540ez with yellow/orange gel, triggered with Yn-602s.

Last edited:
The first from last nights trip, for those that have come through the thread you may recognize the Airidh (moor house) from a few months ago. Decided on a return trip along the Pentland road, good fun!

Return to the Old Airidh by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

All of last nights shots were with my new Tamron 17-50mm, great lens and having the option of going to 2.8 is great for getting star shots without trails (hint at whats to come ;)) and it's just pin sharp!

I too have the Tammy and the Sigma.

So the question is which do you prefer, colour & sharpness wise? I'm guessing your latest addition, but I thought I'd ask :)

And do you think you'll find 17mm wide enough?

I too have the Tammy and the Sigma.

So the question is which do you prefer, colour & sharpness wise? I'm guessing your latest addition, but I thought I'd ask :)

And do you think you'll find 17mm wide enough?

At this moment in time I'm not sure yet, last night was the first proper night using it. I did find myself at 17mm trying to squeeze stuff in, 10mm is just so easy to get everything and more. However I feel like I was constantly using the 10-20 just because my kit lens wasn't up to the job (no focus window for 1 thing) so using something at 17+ is a whole new ball game, I enjoyed the challenge though, maybe less is more regarding focal length?

Sharpness-wise I'm not 100% sure of, same as colour I'm not sure of, I need to get a good few weeks into using it before I can make a decision. We shall just have to see what happens. As I was thinking if I do find 17mm wide enough I may shift on the 10-20 but at this point in time it is definitely staying put!

So conclusion is, 17-50 is definitely more than capable for Light-Painting/night photography, if I didn't have the 10-20 I would survive no problem. 2.8 is a huge bonus, gives you that bit extra light if you want to keep exposures short (no star-trails/portraits) and is tack sharp (y)

More from last night to come later hopefully!

Well your new photos are very good too, so keep them coming.

And the chessegrater shot really could make a great Album cover imho.

Last edited:
Well your new photos are very good too, so keep them coming.

And the chessegrater shot really could make a great Album cover imho.

Quick spin inside this old house on the Pentland Road from the trip the other night, got to be the scariest place I've ventured yet (down to the hat, bag of fire wood and rucksack on the other side I stumbled upon) quick spin and away I went before I got jumped hah!

A Summer Orb House by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Really liking these. So many folk just do an orb, and don't put anywhere near as much thought into the final image as you have.

Great to see your progress. :)

Back