My little China doll

I gave it a slight sharpen in Photoshop- its definitely on the soft side

The 2nd image is lovely

Les

Funily enuf I looked at this last night when you first posted it and I thought it was oof. I didn't say anything because it was getting late and I was tired.

The eyes are deffo out of focus

I also wonder Niel, is there some sort of fake blur going on in processing? Its either the compression or your processing on the first. I can't tell

Either I'm going mad or the original photo and the 100% crop aren't processed the same? On the crop she quite clearly has freckles on the right side of her nose and a very noticeable one above her lip, yet on the full size on they're no where to be seen and the entire face looks very soft/oof.

I'm confused :eek:

Hi guys
Thats me just got in from golf..........I am thinking now that my post process method is softening my images to much as like it has already been pointed out the eyes are sharp........tact sharp so will continue with my photoshop skills in trying to make pretty girls look gorgeous :)

Hi guys
Thats me just got in from golf..........I am thinking now that my post process method is softening my images to much as like it has already been pointed out the eyes are sharp........tact sharp so will continue with my photoshop skills in trying to make pretty girls look gorgeous :)

remember less is more ;) - being serious for a mo I think sometimes your PP has spoiled your photos. So try just with a very light touch

Hugh and everyone else..............I agree my post processing sucks and I have been overdoing it. Here is another picture of Yorouichi without any softening/sharping pretty much without anything (just removed a few spots) and i will wait for the reply but I am now agreeing that less is more :)
Thanks for the help you guys are giving me.
I do have quite a few pictures of these two girls so I will pick the best of them and start a new thread..........
View attachment 33508

lovely images, a little different from the norm.
completely agree with the first image being unusually soft (esp compared to the cropped section)

Can i ask what the point of using Gaussian Blur is? Surely it's alot easier to use the camera and lens to create a nice OOF background? Alot less work in PP too!

Or have i missed the point?

Can i ask what the point of using Gaussian Blur is? Surely it's alot easier to use the camera and lens to create a nice OOF background? Alot less work in PP too!

Or have i missed the point?

You've missed the point a little ;). Done well, and on masked areas its a great way of smoothing skin. For a portrait I may do >sort blemishes>create new layer and add gaussian blur, mask it so only skin is blurred>create new layer and add high pass filter. Mask it so only skin tones are shaprened> blend as needed

I know thats abit counter intuative, but basically it softens the bits should be soft and sharpening them stops the plastic look.

You've missed the point a little ;). Done well, and on masked areas its a great way of smoothing skin. For a portrait I may do >sort blemishes>create new layer and add gaussian blur, mask it so only skin is blurred>create new layer and add high pass filter. Mask it so only skin tones are shaprened> blend as needed

I know thats abit counter intuative, but basically it softens the bits should be soft and sharpening them stops the plastic look.
Hugh
Thats pretty much the same as me I usually create a new layer< multiply and add Gaussian Blur with an opacity of ~30% and then mask in the model..........sometimes it hard to get the DOF you want in camera when using flash due to the restrictions in some cameras/flash due to sync speed

Dof is very hard to create in pp and get looking right. To get it looking right you need to mask your model and use an appropriate gradient to the mask on the rest of the image. Much easier to do it in camera. With flash either use an ND filter, ( 3 stops gets you from F/8 to F/2.8) or I tend to use just the modelling lights on my studio heads if I'd like to shoot very wide open

Saw this post earlier and have been singing Bowies China Girl all afternoon, so I thought I would come on here and tell you.

Seeing as Im here now, love all three, gaussion blur or not

Back