My Macro Close Up Thread Update 08/Oct

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Decided to do what I have done in the Bird Forum and put everything into one thread. Not that there is a lot to put in.

Really been struggling with my efforts at macro photography. Thought I had a steady hand until I tried it to discover that it wasnt as steady as I thought. Recently bought a ring flash and this has seemed to help significantly.

Still a way to go though.

All taken with a Canon 100mm f2.8 L - 20mm extension tube and the ring flash with no diffusing on it. I know that the highlights are blown in several places but any other comments, good, bad or indifferent are welcome.

Macro

Sloe Shield Bug

Macro

Macro

Macro

Last edited:
Great effort! On a technical level they all look fine on my phone. Composition could be worked on a little. First picture for me, great shot.

Beginners effort!!! I'd say these are very very good if you are just starting Macro. Lighting is a touch harsh but composition and clarity are really good.

Well thats a very good start some very nice images mate especially the first.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Appreciate it. Next step is to try and get some diffusion. Easier said than done on a ring flash.

Excellent start I really like the first one well caught
Like the sloe bug too he's perfectly camouflaged

Wow. These are amazing. The amount of detail is the spider and fly shot is amazing. Really love the damselfly as well.

I'd be interested to see photos of your home made ring flash diffuser

Looks excellent and fairly professional for a DIY job

Made from the top 35mm of a white funnel, a piece of 3mm Perspex off a light box, a 67-72 step up ring, a piece of nylon bar machined down to fit in the 72mm part of the step up ring.

Wow Gaz... what progress these are the best ring flash shots I have ever seen... such a pain to diffuse but seems you have worked out a way.

Whats the round white bit in the middle is that the nylon bar? Would love to see more shots of that diffuser and maybe how you constructed.

Thanks Bryn for the kind comments. I will take it apart as much as I can and post some pics of the pieces.

Thanks Bryn for the kind comments. I will take it apart as much as I can and post some pics of the pieces.

Depending if I see it being a viable thing for me to make ... I may not just sell my Ringflash.

Yeah just to echo Bryn's sentiments, you've really diffused that ringflash well. The light is very even indeed!

Great shots too, I see you are getting great low angles :)

Here are some pics of the diffuser. Not great but hopefully you can see how it goes together.

The bowl of the diffuser was made from a white funnel. I measured the outside diameter of the ring flash tubes and cut a piece off the funnel that would give me the right size aperture at the back. I then flattened it on some sandpaper on a board.

On the front of the Canon ring flash there is a 67mm thread. I bought a 67-72mm step up ring and filed a chamfer on the back of the ring. The two spot lights on the ring flash taper slightly out from the body so the chamfer was to allow the step up ring to screw in further.

I then measured the depth of the bit I cut from the funnel and machined a piece of nylon bar to the right size which in this case was 74mm outside diameter and 69mm inside diameter and 35mm long. I made a slight lip on one end so that it would not fall through the hole in the Perspex. On the other end I machined it down to 71mm for a distance of 3mm. This was to allow it to slip into the 72mm thread on the step up ring.

I used a compass to draw a circle on the Perspex the size of the front of the funnel and then cut it out and sandpapered it to fit. I cut a 74 mm hole in the Perspex with a hole saw.

I glued the nylon into the step up ring and then covered it with chrome finish fablon.

I sprayed the outside black.

I didn't glue the nylon into the Perspex because I wanted to try it to see if I needed to cover the inside of the reflector with chrome fablon. It's a snug fit so doesn't move anyway.

IMG_0128
by Gaz J on Talk Photography

IMG_0129

IMG_0130

IMG_0131

IMG_0132

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the diffuser. Not great but hopefully you can see how it goes together.

The bowl of the diffuser was made from a white funnel. I measured the outside diameter of the ring flash tubes and cut a piece off the funnel that would give me the right size aperture at the back. I then flattened it on some sandpaper on a board.

On the front of the Canon ring flash there is a 67mm thread. I bought a 67-72mm step up ring and filed a chamfer on the back of the ring. The two spot lights on the ring flash taper slightly out from the body so the chamfer was to allow the step up ring to screw in further.

I then measured the depth of the bit I cut from the funnel and machined a piece of nylon bar to the right size which in this case was 74mm outside diameter and 69mm inside diameter and 35mm long. I made a slight lip on one end so that it would not fall through the hole in the Perspex. On the other end I machined it down to 71mm for a distance of 3mm. This was to allow it to slip into the 72mm thread on the step up ring.

I used a compass to draw a circle on the Perspex the size of the front of the funnel and then cut it out and sandpapered it to fit. I cut a 74 mm hole in the Perspex with a hole saw.

I glued the nylon into the step up ring and then covered it with chrome finish fablon.

I didn't glue the nylon into the Perspex because I wanted to try it to see if I needed to cover the inside of the reflector with chrome fablon. It's a snug fit so doesn't move anyway.

IMG_0128

IMG_0129

IMG_0130

IMG_0131

IMG_0132

Very inventive... and produces some amazing light, what sort of power has the flash needed to be on for it?

Not sure this is anything I could make for the yongnuo YN14ex for one I have no idea how to machine nylon rod :(

I would recommend that you line the inside of funnel with silver tape (crinkled).

Last edited:
Yes Bryn I might line it but at the moment all the images Ive taken with it have been between -1/3 stop to +0.7 stop.

The diffuser only works if the flash unit has a thread on the front. Looking at images of it it seems to have a thread on the front of the flash unit.

What is the outside diameter of the flash tubes and what size is the thread.

Super shots of the fly and grasshopper, going by your 1st load of shots and the 2nd i`d say that now your showing off :D

Super shots of the fly and grasshopper, going by your 1st load of shots and the 2nd i`d say that now your showing off :D

I've got a bloody long way to go before I will even consider myself to be close to some of the photographers posting on here.

I read so much about diffusion and I did not want a twin flash set up but I realised the limitations of a ring flash. Once I had got a bit of a grip on focusing technique etc then I turned my mind to diffusion. I'm a machinist by trade and have made several bits for my photography so started scribbling ideas down on paper. Foolishly I never realised that there was a thread in the front of the flash unit. Once I saw that it was easy to come up with the general idea.

Happened to be walking past some shelves in the DIY place and saw this funnel and thought that'll do for the reflector and it all came together quite quickly. About 1 1/2 hours in total.

It's not perfect by any means and if you get too close you still see the ring. Next idea is to try and break up the outline of the ring by sticking black tape in various places to see what that does.

We will see

IMG_0128

IMG_0129

IMG_0130

IMG_0131

IMG_0132

Thanks Gary.

I DIY diffuser is not so simple for my Olympus RF 11 ring flash, it's not round.

Pic borrowed from Google images.
RF-11 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Last edited:
The is a great diffuser Gary. I think I need to tweak my effort and this gives me ideas. Cheers.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eat the ice cream first though Dave :D

Obviously not tried the through Ice cream diffusion you are missing out Alby... just have to remember that you only get 10 mins shooting before having to put back in freezer :D

Lovely shots. Are u actually using a tripod when taking them? How do you position the camera in time?

Thank you. No I don't use the tripod. It was just easier to show the diffuser mounted. Like many others on here I hand hold and either rock myself into focus or sometimes I manually focus.

Can't fault the lighting on these Gaz, one thing i'm determined to improve on for next year is diffusion and looks like your efforts have great results.

Back