My minimal project #48 and #49 added :)

i like both of those images Andy.
They are a good start to your project.

What is your thinking on the project? Where do you hope to take it?

& another one starting a project....duly subscribed matey (y)

Love #1....high key & minimal but enough of the subject showing to make some sense of it :clap:

I see the first albeit faint

The second I only see a little black line at the very bottom of the frame.

They appear clearly on my iPad, what are you viewing on? If a laptop, your screen maybe too bright?

They appear clearly on my iPad, what are you viewing on? If a laptop, your screen maybe too bright?

Just on my PC screen which I know is a smidge bright.

Give me a sec and I'll check the ipad...........

iPad shows for 1: grey left and white right with a light curve running through it.

For 2: just a black vertical line middle bottom. If I turn brightness down to about 20 percent I see a lighter 'oval shape' with a few dark lines coming from the right of the vertical dark line.

Just going to try calibrating my screen on my tablet as I can only see white squares :cautious:

you boys need your screens sorting or a visit to specsavers :LOL:

First one definitely a jug or teapot, not sure what the second actually is by way of the actual 'thing' but I can clearly see it and quite like the concept.

First one definitely a jug or teapot, not sure what the second actually is by way of the actual 'thing' but I can clearly see it and quite like the concept.

I'm struggling to see much of number 2 on a few screens / devices.:thinking:

i like both of those images Andy.
They are a good start to your project.

What is your thinking on the project? Where do you hope to take it?

Hi, Iain, well, inspired by Michael Kenna's landscapes and how he approaches a scene, reduces it, reduces it, and reduces it to its very essence. Sounds a little pretentious, but I wanted to take every day objects and play with lighting and processing to minimise what is there.

I hope to get outside as well. For buildings either get in closer for detail or process out much of the detail.

Cheers.

& another one starting a project....duly subscribed matey (y)

Love #1....high key & minimal but enough of the subject showing to make some sense of it :clap:

Just going to try calibrating my screen on my tablet as I can only see white squares :cautious:

Ahhhhhh I see a cup handle on the first one now... likey (y)

I lowered the gamma on mine slightly, just need to clean the screen, sooooooo many smudges

I thought cup / jug handle for one

Lets settle on Jugs shall we, can't beat a nice photo of curvy jugs :naughty:

Both nice shots but I really like the second one. I'm not sure why but it just feels right. I'd hang this in the right setting.

I'm struggling to see much of number 2 on a few screens / devices.:thinking:

Thanks all. I've decided to bite the bullet and by a calibrator.

The fist one is a cup handle. I liked how it looked like a person with their hand on their hip. With number 2, which is a watch strap, I wanted a Japanese feel of a bridge. Not sure I've achieved this, though.

Anyways, thanks for the comments (y)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, interesting project will be interesting to see how long you can keep this going
I can see all of what i am supposed to be seeing, so no problem there
the last one looks like the edge of a shell :thinking:

I'm not saying nothing, he didn't bother to reply to me... :coat:

Hehe! :mooning:

Anyway; here's some constructive critique - I'm not so keen on this last one, it seems off balance with too much negative space and the point of interest being so close to the edge, I found the first two - and in particular the first - much more compelling and provocative. Hope that's not too harsh Andy.

Hi Andy, interesting project will be interesting to see how long you can keep this going
I can see all of what i am supposed to be seeing, so no problem there
the last one looks like the edge of a shell :thinking:

Cheers, it's a bottle top :)

I'm on my PC now and can see them much clearer :)

I certainly like the idea and am interested on where this journey goes...

Cheers, I'm going to really take it easy and let the ideas flow towards me rather than seeing them out :)

posiview...first time I saw it I thought "bridge". If you ask me, you nailed it.

Thanks (y)

I'm not saying nothing, he didn't bother to reply to me... :coat:

Hehe! :mooning:

Anyway; here's some constructive critique - I'm not so keen on this last one, it seems off balance with too much negative space and the point of interest being so close to the edge, I found the first two - and in particular the first - much more compelling and provocative. Hope that's not too harsh Andy.

Ooopps, sorry Brian.

Thanks for the feedback, it's what I'm after. #3 is my favourite as it happens. I pushed and pushed the bottle top as far as I could. FWIW, it was inspired by one of my favourite Saul Leiter photographs - this one. It's a photograph that, compositionally, makes me feel uncomfortable, and I like that.

Cheers (y)

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.....it's a very good start!! :)

Andy, if it's any good to you, I have an old Pantone Huey Pro you can have on long term loan (i.e. as long as you like) before you spend any of your hard earned?! :thinking:

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.....it's a very good start!! :)

Andy, if it's any good to you, I have an old Pantone Huey Pro you can have on long term loan (i.e. as long as you like) before you spend any of your hard earned?! :thinking:

Cheers, Damien, the loan of the Pantone would be great. Calibration is one of those things I really need to do, but every time I get to the checkout I decide I don't need it.

If you let me know how much you want for postage I'll get it to you and PM my address. Much appreciated (y)

Cheers.

Hi ya

just realised that #1 could almost the the outline of a woman ;)

#3 ....a little bit too minimal for me with too much neg space but as part of the collection it works....I really hope you're getting these printed & framed (y)

Cheers, Lynne, yeah #1 caught my attention when I was processing it and rotated it.

I like where you are going with this Andy (y)
#3 works for me, I enjoy the negative space.
The series is coming together well, what are your plans for them? I too hope, like Lynne, that you get these printed.

Good work Andy!

I like where you are going with this Andy (y)
#3 works for me, I enjoy the negative space.
The series is coming together well, what are your plans for them? I too hope, like Lynne, that you get these printed.

Good work Andy!

Hi, Iain. My main plan is not to rush it and not to post anything I'm not 100% happy with. I've taken several, processed them then decided they were not good enough to post here. This is one I photographed but it doesn't really work for me.

I have quite a few ideas and hope to get one of them tomorrow. I'd like to introduce people in some, but also an architecture, nature, amongst other things. Really want it to snow, which will remove lots of stuff and will provide some interesting opportunities.

Never thought about getting them printed. Damien has loaned me a calibration tool and once I get this I'll calibrate my Mac so the prints will be a good quality.

Cheers.

Yes, I saw that you have more over on flickr but not in here.
Taking your time, not rushing is a good thing.
Sounds like you have lots of ideas, I look forward to your next one posted in this thread (y)

Minimal is not easy :)

Bought Jackie some tulips.......no ulterior motive I may add :whistle:.

As soon as she nipped in the bath I was off :)

Tried loads of different compositions, placing the OCF in various places around the tulip and decided I liked this one.

Processed in LR, then Analog Efex Pro and introduced some blur in the top and bottom of the tulip, main reason was to remove some definition.

I was going to do only B&W but liked the colour version as well.

As always any comments of suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Cheers.

Minimal 9 B&W by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Minimal 9 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Last edited:
Fantastic images Andy, Can't offer any crit I'm afraid as I like them all, the tulips work really well with the minimal theme. :)

not mine.jpg Hi ya

hmmm.....maybe not in keeping with your b&w high keyish theme but the Color one works best of the 2 for me , lovely soft lighting & delicate colors (y)

Just a thought....can you pp it for the high key look :thinking:

....I'll take it down if you'd prefer

Last edited:
View attachment 29109 Hi ya

hmmm.....maybe not in keeping with your b&w high keyish theme but the Color one works best of the 2 for me , lovely soft lighting & delicate colors (y)

Just a thought....can you pp it for the high key look :thinking:

....I'll take it down if you'd prefer

Quite like that, Lynne, more minimal than mine.

Only issue for me, though, is the grain. Now I know SEP does introduce grain and one of the things I liked about the original is the edge of the stem is very sharp.

Thanks anyway (y)

Hi, all, well after my trip to Malham yesterday here are three from the day.

#1 and #2 are shamelessly inspired by Michael Kenna. The simplicity really does work for me, IIDSSM :) and #3 was there when I'd packed up after photographing 'That' tree in Malham. I decided to push the rocks to the very bottom and focus on the wonderful clouds. I really could have dodged and burned the clouds but when I did they lost a lot of the minimal feel.

#1 and #2 are best viewed in Fickr with the black BG.

#1 and #2 were a case of, 'I'm stopping in the road and I don't car who is behind me!" :)

Quick question regarding #3, does it say Minimal to you???

Cheers and C&C, as always, welcome.

Minimal 10 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Minimal 11 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Minimal 12 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Last edited:
Quite like that, Lynne, more minimal than mine.

Only issue for me, though, is the grain. Now I know SEP does introduce grain and one of the things I liked about the original is the edge of the stem is very sharp.

Thanks anyway (y)

what's SEP ?

Love the 2 fence images...2nd one gets my vote ,still minimal but with a little more interest with the curve in the fence line :clap:

#3.....can see why it appeals but , if sticking to the minimal theme I'd have said better with no clouds...but it's still a great shot :clap:

#1 and #2 were a case of, 'I'm stopping in the road and I don't car who is behind me!"....that's my attitude as well.....though I am thinking of getting a sign for the back of the car " Caution , Photographer on board....liable to stop for no apparent reason " :LOL:

what's SEP ?

Love the 2 fence images...2nd one gets my vote ,still minimal but with a little more interest with the curve in the fence line :clap:

#3.....can see why it appeals but , if sticking to the minimal theme I'd have said better with no clouds...but it's still a great shot :clap:

#1 and #2 were a case of, 'I'm stopping in the road and I don't car who is behind me!"....that's my attitude as well.....though I am thinking of getting a sign for the back of the car " Caution , Photographer on board....liable to stop for no apparent reason " :LOL:

SEP = Silver Efex Pro.

Yeah, I'd agree about #3 (y)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, I love #1 & #2, as well as being minimal, they are in keeping with your first few of the series in that they are quite abstract also.
#3 i feel, isn't really saying minimal to me, I agree with Lynne, without the clouds perhaps yes.

Good work on your continued project, take my photograph tomorrow night, there will be minimal i.e. no dancing from me :D

Hi Andy, I love #1 & #2, as well as being minimal, they are in keeping with your first few of the series in that they are quite abstract also.
#3 i feel, isn't really saying minimal to me, I agree with Lynne, without the clouds perhaps yes.

Good work on your continued project, take my photograph tomorrow night, there will be minimal i.e. no dancing from me :D

Cheers, Iain.

We all seem to agree about #3.

Edit below.

No comments expected (y) Just so I can document my journey :)

Cheers.

Minimal 12-Edit 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Back