My photo journey: thank you Talk Photography

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not sure where to post this... so if a mod feels it appropriate to move it, please do.

This is a thread to say thanks to everyone on TP who has contributed to my journey into photography. There are some incredibly helpful and supportive people on here with, collectively, many hundreds of years of experience of photography between them. Thanks to their generosity in giving their time to commenting on our photos, advising on what gear not to buy (more often than not!) and what we should be thinking about tweaking in our skillset next, we're all able to improve and progress. I probably shouldn't name individuals for fear of offending the countless people who are missed off, but hey ho. @Phil V is one of the most patient contributors and always appears willing to help out a newbie; @sunnyside_up inspires so many of us with her wonderful family shots amongst other things; @Garry Edwards is always willing to give guidance on lighting matters; @Pookeyhead has given me advice on monitors and has wonderfully balanced view on what actually makes a good photograph; @Tintin124 is a go to for macro advice (despite me not getting on very well with this). The biggest influence though has been the TP52, organised by @Cobra, which although I've only managed 1.5 times (in aggregate) has probably helped the most in terms of my own development.

I picked up my very first DSLR back in 2006 but I barely used it more than a month or so and, to be honest, I didn't have enough I wanted to take photos of to keep me going back to it. The camera (a second hand Fuji S2) is still sitting in a cupboard here, somewhat unloved. I spent those couple of months reading about the theory probably more than I managed to get out and take photos... but perhaps that was still a useful grounding?

Fast forward to 2014: two children in tow, a love of mountains and hillwalking and suddenly I have plenty of reasons to get the camera out. So I jump back into it and buy a relatively cheap second hand Pentax K5 and a couple of inexpensive lenses. Thus my journey begins. More for my own benefit, I've decided to go back through these two and a bit years (handily catalogued by Lightroom) and put together my own photo "journey". I wanted to put some of my favourite shots in one place - without particular regard as to their technical qualities - simply that I like them as images.

It was an interesting process - I surprised myself that some of my early shots were actually passable! I obviously had a good dose of beginner's luck and what you can't see are the number of shutter actuations occurring between each image that's in this journey :)

The full journey is here, My Photo Journey, but below are some selected photos with comments on why they're important to me or relevant in my journey. This isn't a thread where I'm seeking critique - in many cases I've already done that to the photos. It's more about reflecting on what a fantastic resource this place is and how it's personally helped me develop my photography over the last two years. I have a lifetime of further learning ahead, but this has been a brilliant foundation course so far and I'm looking forward to the rest of year 3 already :)

So, here goes...

Pretty much my first shot with my camera - definitely beginner's luck getting it in focus at f/1.8:
ROEftlk.jpg

And the other side of that sleep, I managed to capture what would be one of my favourite shots of my son - despite the fact it's quite out of focus and slightly underexposed:
KfdcYnr.jpg

Over 1000 shots later, I'm starting to play a bit more with composition and getting more than just a single subject in the frame. Again, this is a bit out of focus and underexposed so I clearly haven't learnt my lessons well enough:
LTVKtc8.jpg

I've clearly gone a bit crazy because the next shot - just a month later is showing as being just after my 5000th shot! I'm guessing I must have been pointing & spraying. Still, I particularly love this image, despite the fence - or maybe that makes it?
ae9j7Z4.jpg

It's now past summer, another 4000-odd actuations appear to have passed me by (!) and I've been getting out and shooting a bit of landscape - largely unsuccessfully. So I try my hand at something else... macro. Here's one of my few efforts which was almost ok, but I have to say it's an area of photography which intrigues me without grabbing hold and not letting go. I'm pretty sure the lens as reported would have been modified with a Raynox or similar because I don't have a 50mm macro:
ZH8lGax.jpg

Back to more familiar subjects and I've invested in a background and a couple of flashes (as well as another 1200 shots fired). I'll later expand this to a mains head and more modifiers, but for the moment it's bounced flash. I have to say, this is still one of my more successful shots - ok, the white background is a bit "meh" but I've since taken far worse setup shots than this (yes Beth, I know his rather inelegant pose needs a bit of work...)!
99yWWRA.jpg

So, we're now into year 2 of camera ownership and I'm still to take a reasonable shot up a mountain. I've struggled with the urge to overprocess everything but for once I manage to avoid that and I have something which is at least a fairly faithful representation - even if it's still lacking the right light (or white balance). This trip was also one where I dragged my Mamiya RZ67 up to the summit. Sadly my film shots were far less "passable" :oops: :$
tayadzd.jpg

The next shot must be around about shot 10,000 and although it's a grab shot at my son's party, I've started to appreciate the importance of light - so I carted my mains head into the hall and set it up to bounce off the ceiling and back wall. Unfortunately that meant every shot basically had to be from the same angle towards the bouncy castle and therefore cluttered, but still... I'm learning:
kQAVkC9.jpg

... continued from last post ...

Of course, best of all, learning how to take acceptable photos has allowed me to capture some very important personal moments. Not perfectly - and the one below is an example where it's still not quite in focus - but at least I was able to make the conscious decisions as to what I wanted in the shot, how I wanted to use the camera and get the image - almost - I was after:
5zM87xN.jpg

Approaching 15,000 shots in to my hobby and I'm really starting to see the difference versus where I was 2 years prior. Two years ago, this next shot would have been a grab shot on a dining room table without lighting being set up and probably clutter behind. Instead, I wanted to experiment:
rYdRz0W.jpg

And perhaps appropriately as the final image in this journey (so far), another "set up" shot, since this is an area that has really engaged my interest this year and where I've personally found I've made some of the biggest leaps forward in my photography. It's one of the last I've shot (again, so far) with my old Pentax which has served me well for probably about 15,000 images in 2 years. But everything has a time to move on, so it is now officially my second body:
gMLbI4X.jpg

So, that's my journey into photography so far. Two years down, a lifetime to go - which is exciting because I'm now getting so much more out of it and I feel like my images are starting to get closer to that picture I have in my mind before I press the shutter.

I don't really know the purpose of posting this thread, other than to share this with you (if you're still reading this far ;) ) and to shout out a big Thank You to all of the contributors here on TP. Were it not for this community, I would still be stuck in 2014 taking one passable shot out of 1000 :) (at least I'm up to 1 out of 100 now!)

:ty:

What an awesome journey, Paul. Well done! :)

(and thanks for the shout out!! )

I thought I had already posted on this the other day (well obviously I hadn't).
It's great when someone listens to the advise given by others and actually puts that advice to good use. You've mentioned some names there that have given some great, helpful and sound advice to many people on here (me included, not necessarily directly though).
Good on you to show your appreciation.

I thought I had already posted on this the other day (well obviously I hadn't).
It's great when someone listens to the advise given by others and actually puts that advice to good use. You've mentioned some names there that have given some great, helpful and sound advice to many people on here (me included, not necessarily directly though).
Good on you to show your appreciation.

Thanks Dominic, glad you enjoyed reading it. Cheers, Paul

Amazing post, Paul. :) It's very interesting to read/view and inspiring to newbies.

Excellent story backed up with some great shots to support. Thanks for sharing.

And thank you for taking the time to post this Paul.
Its always great to read a positive story about the members and TP itself. (y)

What an inspiring post.. looking back on old images is what made me want to take photographs and looking back at your journay was wonderful.
Thanks for such a positive message.

Thank you Paul, always great to be part of someone's journey and see the progress that is made. TP is such a great community and I have many names that I should probably thank but hopefully my photos do the thanks for me.

This is a newbie must read :D

This is a newbie must read :D
I put it on the home page yesterday, in the hope that it'll get more exposure
and as a kind of thank you also. :)

Well done for getting to this level, Paul. I must admit, I'm jealous :) I admire your patience and perseverance and you're an inspiration to the beginers out here.

Well done for getting to this level, Paul. I must admit, I'm jealous :) I admire your patience and perseverance and you're an inspiration to the beginers out here.

Thanks Angelo... but I only see "my level" as better than it was 2 years ago! A long way still to go and lots more improving to be done... There's a better photographer inside us all waiting to get out ;)

What a truly inspiring post Paul a real thank you from me..... I am just starting out on my journey and need guidance. Like you I have found a great resource In the forum. I am taking more pictures now than ever before wanting to post so I can get feedback good or bad. So far seems fine I am waiting for 'bombshell'

i found my greatest hurdle is to actually post my photos in the first place, have I got the right white balance, exposure, sharpness etc. Looking at other members postings I look in awe and think how did they take that or wow what a place they must live and now I have concluded pist the. Chris and bite the bullet, things can only get better, keep taking photos and it will eventually click.

I have just embarked on the 52 week challenge and to be honest I am really enjoying it. I like your statement "There's a better photographer inside us all waiting to get out" Think I'll pinch this and use as my motto. Enough from me, really like your post, thanks again Chris

Another vote for what must be a contender for TP Thread of the year if there was such a thing! Have you considered starting a blog somewhere?

You clearly have an eye and a passion, in my opinion the most important qualities that can't really be taught.
I loved reading about your journey so far and will keep an eye out for your work in future.
Thanks for sharing

What a truly inspiring post Paul a real thank you from me..... I am just starting out on my journey and need guidance. Like you I have found a great resource In the forum. I am taking more pictures now than ever before wanting to post so I can get feedback good or bad. So far seems fine I am waiting for 'bombshell'

i found my greatest hurdle is to actually post my photos in the first place, have I got the right white balance, exposure, sharpness etc. Looking at other members postings I look in awe and think how did they take that or wow what a place they must live and now I have concluded pist the. Chris and bite the bullet, things can only get better, keep taking photos and it will eventually click.

I have just embarked on the 52 week challenge and to be honest I am really enjoying it. I like your statement "There's a better photographer inside us all waiting to get out" Think I'll pinch this and use as my motto. Enough from me, really like your post, thanks again Chris

Great post I would say, and hats off for the devotion!

Another vote for what must be a contender for TP Thread of the year if there was such a thing! Have you considered starting a blog somewhere?

You clearly have an eye and a passion, in my opinion the most important qualities that can't really be taught.
I loved reading about your journey so far and will keep an eye out for your work in future.
Thanks for sharing

Well thank you all so much for your kind words :)

Chris, good luck in developing your own skills - it's a great stage being at the start because your rate of progress can be so fast... sadly it eventually tails off and we all have the inevitable "few steps back" from time to time. The best way of learning, IMHO, is to learn of others, make mistakes and be open to feedback. That's why TP can be such a superb resource because it offers all those things. Enjoy!

Andy, that's very nice of you to say... I'll be honest and say that whilst sometimes I have the time to write these sorts of threads, a lot of the time I'm working long hours and I'm not sure I'd have the consistent time to devote to maintaining a blog. And it would drag me away from posting on here, too!

Thanks everyone and glad it's being enjoyed (y)

Back