My pics 2015.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
I`ll put most of my stuff in one thread again this year. Hopefully i`ll get more time to do my wildlife stuff.

Anyway, first of the year, got a new resident in one of the barns. Problem is, all my seasoned firewood is in that barn, so i`ll have to get some more cut and leave the bird in peace. Taken from outside of the barn through a side window. I`m pretty sure it is using the chopping block as an eating post,lots of poo and pellets around it. I will get some pics next time,can get them from outside so all is well.

Barn Owl Jan 1 by Fracster, on Flickr

And i`ve been making some new perches for the small bird hide. The side of the hide will need replacing this year,just started to leak in, the hide is the one @sawman made for me ages ago, so can`t complain really.

Nuthatch Jan 1 by Fracster, on Flickr

Too central and too large in the frame,before Brash says it, but I had the tc on a prime so was unavoidable. Just had a few hours with the new D750,getting used to the controls and how it is overall. I think it is gonna be OK. AF is blisteringly fast and locks on well even with the 1.4 tc on, will try some flight shots and darker stuff soon,see how it performs.

Nuthatch Jan 2 by Fracster, on Flickr

Liking the barn owl, amazed at the clarity given it was a 4 second exposure, it must have stayed very still! Lovely colours in that one :)

Liking the barn owl, amazed at the clarity given it was a 4 second exposure, it must have stayed very still! Lovely colours in that one :)
Thanks Paul, the owl was fast asleep and did not move whilst I was there. I`ll be keeping an eye out for when and where it hunts, see if I can get action shots of it.

@Joeturner11

No noise reduction applied, jpeg shot. Looks like the high ISO will be fine,need to run a comparison beside the D800.

Male pheasant Jan 1 by Fracster, on Flickr

Excellent shots, Ade. As you have said the barn owl was asleep it could be considered to be not that good, but I think it is a cracking shot - puts the bird in its environment.

The two nuthatch photos are good and I take the point about more space needed in front of the bird but, the moss covered branch is on the bottom horizontal third and, the eye of the bird is more or less on the top horizontal third and the left vertical third - honestly, it is not at all bad, and I'd have been happy to have taken it.

Dave

Excellent shots, Ade. As you have said the barn owl was asleep it could be considered to be not that good, but I think it is a cracking shot - puts the bird in its environment.

The two nuthatch photos are good and I take the point about more space needed in front of the bird but, the moss covered branch is on the bottom horizontal third and, the eye of the bird is more or less on the top horizontal third and the left vertical third - honestly, it is not at all bad, and I'd have been happy to have taken it.

Dave
Thanks for the detailed comments Dave, it is nice to see a barn owl in its habitat, I certainly won`t be pestering it in any way by taking any more shots of it, i`ll probably just glance in and see if it is still there. Bugger is that I can`t get my fire wood without disturbing it. Though I suppose that they have always had human intervention over the centuries due to where they live. I`ll have a think on that.

Appreciate the comments about the nuthatch shot as well, I never consider the rule of thirds to be honest, I guess it must be luck.

Thanks again for commenting.

You could well be right that they are reasonably tolerant of human presence, but I can understand you do not want to cause it any problems - it is a far too precious bird to have that near home. Can you collect firewood when it is out hunting?

I'll look forward to more photos.

Dave

I used to go fly fishing at a lake in Bourton on the Water, we used to park our motorhome by a barn which had an office built in one side, the barn was open fronted and an owl used to perch and watch fishermen making a brew or eating a sandwich in the barn, didn't seem that bothered about people, and it was a popular lake.
Nice picture anyway.

Last edited:
Nice start Ade.

Love the sleeping Owl.

I'll have to remember to keep looking in.

Some great shots Ade loving the Red's..............as for your new resident you could get a bit cold :D fabulous hopefully it stays around and you have some great moments watching, couple of photos would be a bonus (y)

Boring. Move on!!

Some great shots Ade loving the Red's..............as for your new resident you could get a bit cold :D fabulous hopefully it stays around and you have some great moments watching, couple of photos would be a bonus (y)
I'm kinda hoping it loiters around and gets a partner. A nest and young would be a massive bonus.

Reactions: RKC
Boring. Move on!!
All the pics are taken on the land I look after or bloody close by Brian. Sorry but we don't have waders or eagles in the Yorkshire Dales, if that bores you ,then tough.

All the pics are taken on the land I look after or bloody close by Brian. Sorry but we don't have waders or eagles in the Yorkshire Dales, if that bores you ,then tough.
Yup!!! Just that!!

Good luck with the Owls this year Ade. Like No 2 on the reds.
Is the KF pool, up and running yet Ade?
Hi lee,not yet,cannot get an answer off Roger, I'm gonna interrupt his breakfast at weekend and get an answer. Love the idea you came up with and cannot see why it would not work. Negligible cost and no intrusion on the landscape. Just need to make some cages, fill with stone and damn the brook for a constant feed.

Buzzards are being assholes again, sitting above the hide but not coming down to the bait......dammit.

@Lee Aaron

got a spare arca plate and base for you.

This is a very enjoyable collection :) Nice work Ade!

This is a very enjoyable collection :) Nice work Ade!
Thanks Martin. i don`t profess to be the best photographer in the world, but I take pics of what I see.

OK then. Every one a cracker, matey mate o' mate o' mine.:)

Nice pics and nice banter, Ade (y)

Russ (but you can call me Don ;))
Cheers Don...i mean Russ.

I don't mind a bit of banter in here.

A friend of Dad's had barn owls in one of his barns - the one where he kept his tractor... Took not one bit of notice as he drove in and out. Not to say that all are as tolerant but some are.

Other than pixel count and croppability that that confers, how does the 750 compare to the 8x0? Trying to resist GAS... (Got a 700 but can't help feeling that the extra pixies could be handy.)

ETA. Nice set of varied shots, Ade. Unfortunately I'm no longer in contact with Dad's mate above so don't have access to his fields and woods (owls, foxes, deer, herons (heronry in the woods) etc..

Last edited:
I`m tired and will reply tomorrow bud. But, quickly, the 800 and 750 are totally different beasts, both have good points and bad points,i will give my opinions in due course.

They seem to compliment each other well at the moment though.

Went out again early this morning, the snow was falling and the light was rubbish, so I just filled all the feeders for the birds and put some feed out for the buzzards and badgers. Was sat in the car having a brew next to the woodland bird hide and a sparrowhawk landed on the table, sat there for about a minute and did one. I may start seeing if I can tempt them in onto a better perch.

Nod, sorry mate still not really used the 750 enough to give a definitive answer pal. This was taken with the 750 last weekend.

Blue Tit Jan 1 by Fracster, on Flickr

Nice BT shot Ade, with plenty of detail at ISO 720 (y) - love the perch!

Russ
Thanks Russ. I think i`m going to get along quite well with the D750. I just pick the perches up off the woodland floor. There is loads of stuff that is full of moss, including some nice old stone walls, need to get that set up first.

Cheers Gary.
@Joe T ,buzzard project has had to be changed, had to move the bait to another field,should work better for light once they get used to it being elsewhere.

Back