My reptile shot thread

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
My first adders and Lizard of the year
I have not renamed the thread as I keep adding more shots

The first I spotted which was smaller (I had to go home to get my 40-150 + MC-14)

Adder 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Adder 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Then I spotted this about 3m away

Adder 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I spotted two lizards a few metres away I only got a shot of one

Common Lizard by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set :)

PS the lizard has clearly been in a survival battle and not that long ago, what with the tail only just(?) growing back.

Very nice Alf (y)

Lovely set Alf - I have a spot where I see Adders, none this year so far though :(

Les :)

Lovely set Alf - I have a spot where I see Adders, none this year so far though :(

Les :)

Thanks Les
I would say like other locals as the sun is out they are out as you never know how much your gonna get

I have a spot where I see Adders, none this year so far though :(
Years ago there was a couple of areas I knew, that you could barely move without tripping over a grass snake,
since all the development over the years they have become very rare indeed :(

Years ago there was a couple of areas I knew, that you could barely move without tripping over a grass snake,

That's sad
I have never seen a grass snake and in fact Adders are recent for me too busy chasing invertebrates usually

That is a shame Chris- the local RSPB have put corrogated tin sheets in various places to facilitate snakes, they love to be under them and when it gets warmer you see them basking on top :)

Les

corrogated tin sheets in various places to facilitate snakes, they love to be under them and when it gets warmer you see them basking on top :)
Yep, exactly, they do like that, one area was a collapsed tin hut in one corner of a large field.

Last edited:
Very Nice Alf, well spotted (y)

Not seen a adder for years ,but grass snakes and lizards no probs .. good set Alf

Thanks Alf, lovely :)

I was wandering round my local adder spot when I heard this male heading towards me through a bramble patch. He appeared in view about 3m away and continued towards me and I managed a few shots. He was about to pass me under 1m away when I made a sound and scared him back the way he came.

Adder on the move by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Can you see the adder

51117370146_9c84e58063_h.jpg
1618494425305.gifKeeping look out by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I've only seen one snake, an adder, in the UK and it was many years ago. On the other hand, I've seen quite a few in Southern Africa and several in Hong Kong.

I did not spot this adder until it hissed at me. I was walking along a track concentrating on not stepping on anyone. This guy was aiming to exit to the right but could not get up the bank. So I backed off and observed him from a little further away and watched him leave to the left where there was cover.

Stressed adder by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Moving off by Alf Branch, on Flickr

That defensive pose is a cracker (y)

That reminds me of a little story, hope you don't mind Alf.
A few years ago I was walking across a Prairie in North Dakota
There were several small holes in the ground.
I said the the other 2 guys I was with ( Americans)
They aren't rattler holes are they?
I hadn't got the words fully out, and a small Rattler shot out the hole one of the
guys had just stepped over, he was oblivious to the fact that it had struck at his heel.
its good job it was a baby ( about a foot long) and was still half asleep.

Good walking boots are a must ;)

That defensive pose is a cracker (y)

That reminds me of a little story, hope you don't mind Alf.
A few years ago I was walking across a Prairie in North Dakota
There were several small holes in the ground.
I said the the other 2 guys I was with ( Americans)
They aren't rattler holes are they?
I hadn't got the words fully out, and a small Rattler shot out the hole one of the
guys had just stepped over, he was oblivious to the fact that it had struck at his heel.
its good job it was a baby ( about a foot long) and was still half asleep.

Good walking boots are a must ;)

Thanks Chris
That is an interesting story o_O

Back