Beginner My rugby shots from Saturday.

Nice shots roy (y) Good action captures, compression and sharpness in the images seems a bit high - but that could be just TP fiddling with your images (most likely) and saturation is a little high I think, both issues seem more apparent in the last image - but I do like these. Not sure if white balance is a little different in the images as well (grass looks more blue in the first, to the over-green in the last) - your originals may look a lot different to what has been posted so dont think of these issues as real "issues" - Well done and thanks for sharing (y)

Thanks for your comments,I'm relatively new to post editing and seam to be going over the top with the saturation and sharpeness.

Thanks for your comments,I'm relatively new to post editing and seam to be going over the top with the saturation and sharpeness.
You're getting good shots roy, processing may be due to your monitor/tv setup. I use a 40" LCD TV as my main desktop screen (sat about 2 foot away from it lol) plus a calibrated Viewsonic monitor for Photoshop. Both displays look very very different when bringing up the same image on both screens.

The big TV though, is excellent (samsung full hd) but gives me an idea of what my images look like on a non-calibrated, standard display. If you are using a laptop screen, they tend to be calibrated for "office" use and may be over-saturated to begin with. I recommend (if you can afford going for it) some calibration software/dongle). It will be easier for you to spot the over-saturation.

When I process my photos in camera raw before putting them into Photoshop, I dont touch the saturation slider, only the vibrance and only a small adjustment (+5 to +8), contrast will enrich colours and I tend to put that at anything from +30 to +50 depending on the scene.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be shooting in JPEG and then processing it further? If so, try and use RAW instead of JPEG. JPEG will usually have been pre-processed by your camera and if you then go processing further on that, its going to get the effect we're seeing in the above images.

If you are shooting raw, ignore what I just said. Feel free to ask though (y) My processing was terrible when I started out with photography, its ended up being "less is more" as I overdone everything, from sharpening to colours myself so you're not alone :)

Back