My son and our rescued Siberian Husky.

Merc

Loves Canon
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
We got a rescue Siberian Husky (Skye) on Monday. She's about 19months old and glad to say she's settled in really well and has become best buddies with my son.

28hq5xh.jpg

27zlswg.jpg

sgtlhw.jpg

Thanks Dave & David.
She is a beauty. Poor thing's on her 3rd home. Don't know anything about the first one but the last owner wanted to keep her outside all the time and she just howled all night. She sleeps on Oliver's bed here and has settled beautifully.
They're not the easiest dogs to keep so probably won't take her on many landscape outings. They're not good off the lead. She has 2 walks a day though which is good for me too. :)

She's a lovely looking dog Mark:) glad she's settled in well. My home was the third home for my Husky too, my son rescued her from a young couple who from six weeks old just left her outside all day and night. She was only 4 months when he got her and had had no training at all. He kept her until she was 8 months but being the father to 2 year old quads, and working long hours he worried she wasn't getting the exercise she needed.

So muggings here adopted her;) She was a bit of a minx at first, decided to eat half the mattress one day whilst we were out shopping. Another time she chewed through the lead of the gas fire and my husband's electric recliner chair ( he's disabled) She is now 6 and I wouldn't be without her, despite the moulting which has just began in earnest. Huskies can be real characters, very stubborn at times and not good off lead as you say. I'm lucky where I live as it's very rural and I can let her off lead (selectively) I don't let her off in any woods as she will be off chasing anything that moves, they have a very strong prey instinct which no doubt you will find with yours. Cats, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, rats, moles and voles are all targets, she will not come back if she is chasing something or has the scent. I've had a few narrow escapes with her.

They are great escape artists too, believe me they can dig under or get over high fences so beware of this. Mine managed to climb on to the top of the big water butt so she could look in next doors garden as they have a cat.

It is not all negative though, she is great with children and puppies, she loves people and she gets on well with other dogs who she plays with over the fields. She is also fiercely protective of me. Any dog she doesn't know who jumps up at me soon gets warned to stay away.

Strangely enough I've never heard her howl! She doesn't bark, but she does talk when she wants her treats.

best wishes Maggie

Roxy

View attachment 34166

She's a lovely looking dog Mark:) glad she's settled in well. My home was the third home for my Husky too, my son rescued her from a young couple who from six weeks old just left her outside all day and night. She was only 4 months when he got her and had had no training at all. He kept her until she was 8 months but being the father to 2 year old quads, and working long hours he worried she wasn't getting the exercise she needed.

So muggings here adopted her;) She was a bit of a minx at first, decided to eat half the mattress one day whilst we were out shopping. Another time she chewed through the lead of the gas fire and my husband's electric recliner chair ( he's disabled) She is now 6 and I wouldn't be without her, despite the moulting which has just began in earnest. Huskies can be real characters, very stubborn at times and not good off lead as you say. I'm lucky where I live as it's very rural and I can let her off lead (selectively) I don't let her off in any woods as she will be off chasing anything that moves, they have a very strong prey instinct which no doubt you will find with yours. Cats, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, rats, moles and voles are all targets, she will not come back if she is chasing something or has the scent. I've had a few narrow escapes with her.

They are great escape artists too, believe me they can dig under or get over high fences so beware of this. Mine managed to climb on to the top of the big water butt so she could look in next doors garden as they have a cat.

It is not all negative though, she is great with children and puppies, she loves people and she gets on well with other dogs who she plays with over the fields. She is also fiercely protective of me. Any dog she doesn't know who jumps up at me soon gets warned to stay away.

Strangely enough I've never heard her howl! She doesn't bark, but she does talk when she wants her treats.

best wishes Maggie

Roxy

View attachment 34166

HI Maggie.

Roxy is beautiful. :)

Skye has really made herself at home now and is putting on muscle fast. We walk about 4-6 miles a day. She has as you say a very strong predator instinct but is very gentle with children. I think we may be able to let her off the lead eventually but like you selectively.
We have a "fairly" escape proof garden but there are a couple of changes I will make.

We got Skye to howl by playing her youtube clips of Sib's howling. :)

I've always had Labradors before so she's quite different to what I'm used to.

Last edited:
HI Maggie.

Roxy is beautiful. :)

Skye has really made herself at home now and is putting on muscle fast. We walk about 4-6 miles a day. She has as you say a very strong predator instinct but is very gentle with children. I think we may be able to let her off the lead eventually but like you selectively.
We have a "fairly" escape proof garden but there are a couple of changes I will make.

We got Skye to howl by playing her youtube clips of Sib's howling. :)

I've always had Labradors before so she's quite different to what I'm used to.

They really are beautiful dogs. Has Skye began to moult yet? Roxy has this past 4 weeks. You wouldn't believe the amount of undercoat that she sheds. She is brushed and combed every day, getting carrier bags full of it and it just keeps on coming. She hates the warm weather and I can understand why.

I too tried playing the you tube videos to her but she still didn't howl, she just stared at the screen tilting her head as she listened.

She's a beauty Mark!!
Keep an eye on her...those eyes suggest mischeif!!

They really are beautiful dogs. Has Skye began to moult yet? Roxy has this past 4 weeks. You wouldn't believe the amount of undercoat that she sheds. She is brushed and combed every day, getting carrier bags full of it and it just keeps on coming. She hates the warm weather and I can understand why.

I too tried playing the you tube videos to her but she still didn't howl, she just stared at the screen tilting her head as she listened.

Skye has more or less finished her moult. A daily brush just gets a little hair out. Hope Roxy's stops soon for you Maggie. Have you tried youtube again?

She's a beauty Mark!!
Keep an eye on her...those eyes suggest mischeif!!

She is very mischievous Ruth but has the look of an angel when she gets caught. Definitely a daddy's girl. She's quite the squirrel chaser as well. :)

Funnily enough Mark we were watching TV tonight where a pack of huskies were howling and barking. Roxy sat watching and listening but never made a sound;) The only sounds she makes are those very deep guttural noises which we call talking when she is asking for her treats....same time every night

Her favourite TV programme will be returning to our screens, Springwatch! She loves it, when she hears the musical intro she comes running, I'm sure she even recognised Chris Packams voice
View attachment 34682

Beautiful dog Mark and a handsome lad too :)

Personally I think the photos would work better if they were at the same level, it helps create a feeling of closeness thats a bit lacking in these.

Funnily enough Mark we were watching TV tonight where a pack of huskies were howling and barking. Roxy sat watching and listening but never made a sound;) The only sounds she makes are those very deep guttural noises which we call talking when she is asking for her treats....same time every night

Her favourite TV programme will be returning to our screens, Springwatch! She loves it, when she hears the musical intro she comes running, I'm sure she even recognised Chris Packams voice
View attachment 34682

Love that photo Maggie. :)

Skye loves to watch most animal documentaries :) She seems to like Bad dog best. I think it gives her ideas. We heard a bang in the kitchen last night. The little bugger pulled the roast chicken off of the worktop :) First time she's done anything like that. She had that look on her face to say "it wasn't me" but her head had chicken grease all over it :) Skye has never touched anything that isn't hers before so we'll have to keep an eye her a little more.

Ha ha Mark what a minx It reminded me of one Xmas day. We were at our sons for lunch, sitting in the dining room tucking into dinner. Chatting away as you do when suddenly Roxy crept passed the door holding the turkey in her mouth followed by my sons two dogs. My son jumped up and tried to recue the turkey..no such luck. Roxy took off upstairs with the turkey still being followed by the other two dogs and my son. We were all in hysterics, it was like something out of Benny Hill She had never done anything like that before either and hasn't since.

Brave people both of you, and both beautiful dogs
Hope you have lots of fun with Skye, rescue dogs are the best (y)

Back