Critique My son Eoin

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
1 of the 3 reasons I'll enjoy a father's day tomorrow. Other 2, being teenage girls, run away when I come near them with a camera............... unless of course they've had time to prepare wardrobe, etc. :rolleyes::D

Eoin
by johnnypanic on Talk Photography

As nobody else has commented, I'll give it a go.

Good points: nice DoF; sharp focus on the eyes; very well lit eyes; he's smiling.

Not so good points (personal view): too much in shadow in the bottom half of the pic from below his nose (a reflector would have helped or some fill flash) may be possible to sort if you have decent PP skills; cropped a little tight at the bottom, tops of shoulders would be a place to crop.

Well done getting him to pose, and enjoy Father's Day with your kids!

Last edited:
Cheers Ian (y) Thanks for taking the time to help me improve.

Same here, great subject and 90% correct but the 10% that is the shadow has turned this from a wall hanger to the delete pile.
Ive done it myself countless times but my favourite is not taking into account certain materials casting a colourful shadow.
Its worth doing again.

Same here, great subject and 90% correct but the 10% that is the shadow has turned this from a wall hanger to the delete pile.

Problem is, it will be a different 10%, next time :D

Thanks for taking the time to comment (y)

I do like this, the eyes look great and its a typical muted expression from a boy, mine is the same when i shove a lens in front of him. My daughter is great though, but she is older.

I also like some of the shadows but.....not all of them as commented. I'm guessing you must have had your light source too high as its created shadows under the eyes, lips, nose and chin? There is also a blue cast under the chin, t-shirt maybe? I'm no expert by all means but lowering the light would definitley help i think.

It might be worth trying a different crop but i would also straighten it up a bit as his head is tilting ever so slightly. Also, i would try a mono conversion.

That said, its still a great shot to look back on, always worth the effort and hope you had a great fathers day :)

Last edited:
Cheers Dan. Didn't notice, the blue cast until you mentioned it, but now it's screams out like an emergency light :eek: and you're quite right, it was a blue shirt.

Wasn't thinking about a mono conversion, but then I "feel guilty" than I'm doing it to cover my mistakes :(

Just proves that I need to practice, practice, practice!

First the positives, I love the eyes and the expression (the most important bit - if you can capture that you're onto a winner).

I think the light is the right height but maybe needs pulling back 6 inches. Which seems weird as the usual comment is to get it closer. The shadows on the eyes and nose look OK to me but the light doesn't get to the chin and it should.

Don't consider it cheating, but you could fix the lighting in about a minute in Lightroom, and the blue reflection? I'd go for B&W but it's fixable (not by me, I'm no PP expert)

Thanks Phil. This studio lighting ain't easy, but if it were, it wouldn't be as much fun.

Quick dirty mono edit, shadow transitions still ned smoothing though. Hope you dont mind the edit, dont normally do it.

Thanks for taking the time to do edits. Will try myself, later in the week, when I get the school plays over and done with.

Back