B&W My Street Portraits ***Complete*** 15 July 2016

I don't think the eye contact is needed in this shot due to it being obvious that's shes either shy or laughing something off.

Works very well for me and would make a great print*
*if it weren't for the iPod headphones

Thanks again Steven.
Re the headphones, some strangers would remove them, some don't. Mostly I like to shoot the portraits as I find the person with the exception of choosing backgrounds and such.
I do get your point though. If I had a mind to, I could clone them out i think.

Thanks again Steven.
Re the headphones, some strangers would remove them, some don't. Mostly I like to shoot the portraits as I find the person with the exception of choosing backgrounds and such.
I do get your point though. If I had a mind to, I could clone them out i think.
Doesn't look like it would take much to get them out but only if you were to be printing really. For your project it suits just fine with them in place as this is how you find people on the street!

Doesn't look like it would take much to get them out but only if you were to be printing really. For your project it suits just fine with them in place as this is how you find people on the street!

Thanks Steve, I tend not to do much pp on the stranger portraits barring the usual contrast/shadow/highlights. I usually do some toning also to get a particular look I like.

Leave them. That's how the scene was when you took it....

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Meeten.

Yet again lovely images and some nice looking people. I guess you work alone, but would be good to see a shot or illustration of what the set up is as you take the shot (if you ever get a chance to)

really really like the first two especially the first's background, the third I can't help noticing the people in the background

Its been such a long time since i was last out shooting my project, but remedied that yesterday with a visit to Covent Garden before work.
Its been a long time since I dropped by too, an excellent trio Iain,
That's a real cheeky grin from # 3 (y)

Yet again lovely images and some nice looking people. I guess you work alone, but would be good to see a shot or illustration of what the set up is as you take the shot (if you ever get a chance to)

Thanks BC, yes you're quite correct, I do work alone so don't have any BTS of my taking strangers portraits.
Theres no real secret to it, a simple set up. I have shot all but a couple of portraits on 50mm lens. I use a lastolite trip-grip reflector which I hold with one hand, and the camera in my other hand.
With the 50mm, I am quite close to the person, my shots aren't heavily cropped so I really fill the frame being so close.

really really like the first two especially the first's background, the third I can't help noticing the people in the background

Thanks @Revill74, I see what you mean about the people in the background. I personally don't mind them as I feel they give a certain sense of place but equally I can see how they may distract others.

Its been a long time since I dropped by too, an excellent trio Iain,
That's a real cheeky grin from # 3 (y)

Cheers Chris (y)
Christina couldn't keep a straight face, I think it may have been more about her being a little self conscious, or perhaps it was more looking at my mug behind the camera :D

Thanks Cheyne (y)

Seemingly effortless quality again. Do you ever take any duffers which you later bin?

Thanks Simon.
Re duffers, I have binned one stranger portrait, a couple of months ago.
Stand by for excuses time haha.
I have two cameras which I split into two bags, my main one and a smaller bag to take with me everywhere.
I do prefer shooting the strangers project on a 50mm lens. I acquired an old manual focus 50mm and decided to carry it in the smaller kit.
I never really tested the lens for my portraits before I used it this particular day. Needless to say, I missed the focus on the one portrait I'd made that day.
Not massively but enough that it would annoy me having it in the project. I did some pp on it but alas no. What's that saying? "You can't polish a turd" :D

On the shot of Andi there is a dot to the left of her hair. Needs cloning.

Interesting to read you have 2 kits... D4 and...?

That dot is on the background which was boards outside a building site, I should have cloned it out before posting, don't know why i didn't? :rolleyes:

My other camera is a D700, i hung onto it as a back up for when I shoot weddings etc.

Looking back through my 100 strangers catalogue, I've picked out a few edits which I thought I'd add to this thread.
Below, in no particular order......

Really good work; especially like King Che and Valentina

I keep checking in with this thread but haven't posted for a while. Still killing it I see. Some fabulous stuff. Would love to flick through the book of all of them.

I keep checking in with this thread but haven't posted for a while. Still killing it I see. Some fabulous stuff. Would love to flick through the book of all of them.

Thanks Gareth, I have a book of my first round of 100 strangers, everyone in this thread is from my second round.
I compile the book as I go and will get it printed when I finish this second 100.

A couple of portraits from todays outing into London.

Vytaute.jpg
Vytaute

Jess.jpg
Jess

Last edited:
:D Thanks Meeten, its really not about having 'balls' doing this though.
People will surprise you if you ask them, really. Whats the worst that can happen? Realistically, they'll say no, thats the worst.
If you really wish to try it, I say give it a go and come back to TP and post the results (y)

Fantastic pictures! I would like to ask what do you tell people when asking them for portrait? I'm trying to get myself into this and its quite difficult for me to do. Regards

Fantastic pictures! I would like to ask what do you tell people when asking them for portrait? I'm trying to get myself into this and its quite difficult for me to do. Regards

@^Demon Thanks (y)
I introduce my 100 strangers project, and say it is street photography, and that I would love to make their portrait.
I generally pay them a compliment and say why I wish to take their photograph. I asked Vytaute above because of her style and said that she would look great against the vanishing background.
Jess has wonderful colourful hair (you can see the colour version in my 100 strangers project over in that part of the forum) and I said I loved her style.
Smile, be friendly and open and people will react the same in return.
I give people my card with all my contact details on. Its a one way transaction, I don't ask any details of the strangers beyond their name and a little about themselves by my asking an open question. Something as simple as what makes them happy?
Just something to get the conversation going.
I am a naturally talkative person, so don't find it particularly difficult approaching people but it can be quite daunting at first.
People will surprise you, go ahead and ask. The worst they can say is no really. I had two declines today in fact, I just thank the person for their time and move on.
Good luck with it, I'm sure you will be fine and once you get started its quite addictive.

@^Demon Thanks (y)
I introduce my 100 strangers project, and say it is street photography, and that I would love to make their portrait.
I generally pay them a compliment and say why I wish to take their photograph. I asked Vytaute above because of her style and said that she would look great against the vanishing background.
Jess has wonderful colourful hair (you can see the colour version in my 100 strangers project over in that part of the forum) and I said I loved her style.
Smile, be friendly and open and people will react the same in return.
I give people my card with all my contact details on. Its a one way transaction, I don't ask any details of the strangers beyond their name and a little about themselves by my asking an open question. Something as simple as what makes them happy?
Just something to get the conversation going.
I am a naturally talkative person, so don't find it particularly difficult approaching people but it can be quite daunting at first.
People will surprise you, go ahead and ask. The worst they can say is no really. I had two declines today in fact, I just thank the person for their time and move on.
Good luck with it, I'm sure you will be fine and once you get started its quite addictive.

Thank you very much for such answer and I'll use your work as inspiration to get into street photography!

Back