B&W My Street Portraits ***Complete*** 15 July 2016

These latest two shots are excellent Iain, liking them both very much but #1 is a little bit special in my book. "Great Stuff".(y)

George.

Thanks George, I particularly like #1 myself, its just such a great background location.

Lovely images.
Susann has a Zoe Wannamaker look, whilst Elizabeth has a very relaxed and confident poise.
Your work never fails to impress.

Lovely images.
Susann has a Zoe Wannamaker look, whilst Elizabeth has a very relaxed and confident poise.
Your work never fails to impress.

Thanks Paul (y)
I see the resemblance between Susann and Zoe too now that you have mentioned it.
Yes, Elizabeth was a lovely subject, she was certainly relaxed and confident with a wonderful sense of humour too. I am glad it shows in her portrait.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I haven't posted any portraits in here as I have been otherwise engaged 2nd shooting for Damien @Slimbert at one wedding and Yvonne @Yv at another wedding.
I managed to get out shooting today and captured one portrait to kickstart my project.

These last two are the usual Iain standard portraits
of course but I am not too sensible or receptive to

the first personality.

These last two are the usual Iain standard portraits
of course but I am not too sensible or receptive to

the first personality.

Thanks Daniel.
What is it about Ellie's portrait that doesn't work for you?

What is it about Ellie's portrait that doesn't work for you?

I was hammered, hurricaned no so gently that
this place will not accept, tolerate comments
on persons… like tattoos, piercing, etc.

Sorry if I don't answer your question… :(

I was hammered, hurricaned no so gently that
this place will not accept, tolerate comments
on persons… like tattoos, piercing, etc.

Sorry if I don't answer your question… :(

Ah, I get you now, thanks.

So many beautiful portraits Blakester, I can see why you asked to capture each and every one of these beautiful individuals. The thread has been a good read too, thank you for being so free with your advice. Each of the portraits is amazing in its own right, but I really do love the collage, both the colour and black and white.

So many beautiful portraits Blakester, I can see why you asked to capture each and every one of these beautiful individuals. The thread has been a good read too, thank you for being so free with your advice. Each of the portraits is amazing in its own right, but I really do love the collage, both the colour and black and white.

Thank you @Lanatron
There's no secret to it really so I happily give advice to anyone who asks.
For further reading, head over to the project section of the forum. The whole project is there along with each individual's words.
I am building the collages for this round of 100 strangers too. I will publish them when complete whenever that may be....

Another two very nice images Ian, the first shot wold be my preference (nothing to do with the model) purely because the the darker areas to the sides tends to bring more emphasis to the main subject. Both very nice though.(y)

George.

Another two very nice images Ian, the first shot wold be my preference (nothing to do with the model) purely because the the darker areas to the sides tends to bring more emphasis to the main subject. Both very nice though.(y)

George.

Thanks George, I waited such a long time for a suitable stranger to come along so as I could use that background.
I thought Ellie and her style suited it well.

A few more stranger portraits from a walk around scorching London yesterday before work.

DSC_7862-Edit-Edit.jpg
Ayce

Last edited:
I paid a visit to Brick Lane, London today to continue with my 100 strangers project.
I managed to make one portrait from several hours walking around but do think it was worth it. Tegan's portrait is posted below but this is with a little trepidation.
Personally, i don't think it does her justice in respect of how colourful an individual Tegan is, probably best viewed in colour over in my 100 strangers thread in the projects section.

Tegan
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Tegan's portrait is stunning in black and white, but you're right, the full colour is just amazing. I think I saw some collages of these portraits that you had made, both in black and white, and in colour. They are fantastic, are they available to buy at all?

Tegan's portrait is stunning in black and white, but you're right, the full colour is just amazing. I think I saw some collages of these portraits that you had made, both in black and white, and in colour. They are fantastic, are they available to buy at all?

Thanks Alana, I was unsure at first how Tegan's portrait would convert to mono but I'm pleased how it turned out.
The colour version is my favourite though, I think she looks fantastic.

I am 'building' this round of 100 stranger collages as I go and haven't published anything so far. You may be referring to the first round of strangers collages?
I honestly hadn't considered selling them as I didn't think they would be of interest to anyone other than myself.
I have both the colour and mono collages printed poster size and am rather pleased with them. Haven't done anything with them though, should really frame them but not got round to it.

Hi Blakester, yes sorry, it was your first round of strangers - it worked so well, I thought they would look striking as a poster sized framed print! Definitely get yours framed and up - if I was making such amazing portraits I would do this and I'm sure others would be keen to have them on their wall as well *looks around hopefully*.

Hi Blakester, yes sorry, it was your first round of strangers - it worked so well, I thought they would look striking as a poster sized framed print! Definitely get yours framed and up - if I was making such amazing portraits I would do this and I'm sure others would be keen to have them on their wall as well *looks around hopefully*.

Thanks Alana, I got them printed at 24"x24", a tad ambitious that I'd actually have the wall space to hang them :D
Saying that, I will probably print this round at the same size haha.

Latest portrait from a mooch around Cambridge this afternoon.

View attachment 60776
Elizabeth.

Lovely. I particularly like the fact that you've made a great portrait of someone who isn't obviously 'a character'. My own strangers project has stalled for various reasons but I hope to get it going again next week.

..and I hadn't realised Cambridge was one of your stomping grounds, drop me a line next time you're nearby..

Lovely. I particularly like the fact that you've made a great portrait of someone who isn't obviously 'a character'. My own strangers project has stalled for various reasons but I hope to get it going again next week.

..and I hadn't realised Cambridge was one of your stomping grounds, drop me a line next time you're nearby..

Thanks Simon.
Elizabeth was someone who just struck me as a friendly and approachable individual.
Wonderfully engaging, I enjoyed the encounter.

The 100 strangers project can be hard work at times Ive found. I have often gone out for hours on end and not made a single portrait. Certainly this, my second round of 100 has been infinitely more difficult to complete.
I can't quite put my finger on why that is.

Yes, I live around 30 mile from Cambridge and often have a mooch around.
I certainly will drop you a line, its always good to meet likeminded people and i do admire your work.

Corrie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Having had a wander along the Southbank, London, it was one of those occasions where I found a background I wished to use for a stranger portrait.

I saw Corrie walking along and thought her style and look would be perfect.

Corrie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Having had a wander along the Southbank, London, it was one of those occasions where I found a background I wished to use for a stranger portrait.

I saw Corrie walking along and thought her style and look would be perfect.

That's very nice Sir, and a great bit of comp', with a good mono conversion.(y)

George.

That's very nice Sir, and a great bit of comp', with a good mono conversion.(y)

George.

Thanks George (y)
Corrie has a great look, I particularly liked her connection with the camera and her intense gaze.

I took the opportunity to get out and about shooting my 100 strangers project today. I never strayed too far from my workplace in London, just a short hop into The Barbican where people were enjoying the glorious weather we had today.

Dana
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Quite often through both my 100 stranger projects, i have met people who just have an aura around them. Happy, friendly people about whom one gets a feeling that they are ultimately approachable and personable.
Today I met two such people, Natasha and Lorcan. Their portraits are posted below.

Natasha
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Lorcan
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Wow just a whole slew of fantastic portraits! There's one of a woman with pronounced dots on her lower eyelids. What's that about? Is it a new thing? haven't seen it here in Colombia (pronounced dots on a person here are usually bullet holes ha ha.)

Wow just a whole slew of fantastic portraits! There's one of a woman with pronounced dots on her lower eyelids. What's that about? Is it a new thing? haven't seen it here in Colombia (pronounced dots on a person here are usually bullet holes ha ha.)

Thanks @Pitter,
The pronounced dots below Decca's eyes you mentioned, I've no idea, it's her style and I found it pleasantly quirky.

Back