B&W My Street Portraits ***Complete*** 15 July 2016

Thanks Chris, I had a similar thought when I was talking to Kit, I was trying to work out if he was famous :D
He looks a bit like "Sting" but that's not who I was thinking of though

I will need to google famous Kit's and see what it comes up with :D
Let me know if you get anywhere (y)

edit other than a black trans-am of course :D

Let me know if you get anywhere (y)

edit other than a black trans-am of course :D

Knightrider, got you ;)
Didn't have you down as a David Hasselhoff fan though, learn something new every day :D

Knightrider, got you ;)
Didn't have you down as a David Hasselhoff fan though, learn something new every day :D
:p
It was entertaining at the time, ( early '80's IIRC? ) but apart from that I'm not a fan ;)

Loving the portrait of Chloe Iain, I think it's one of your best so far.
The background is different enough so it pulls the eye in without taking anything away from the subject, placing her in the centre acts like a target and those eyes, wow.
The processing is just the icing on the cake and all together makes a really good image.

In my opinion of course :)

Loving the portrait of Chloe Iain, I think it's one of your best so far.
The background is different enough so it pulls the eye in without taking anything away from the subject, placing her in the centre acts like a target and those eyes, wow.
The processing is just the icing on the cake and all together makes a really good image.

In my opinion of course :)

Thanks Mark, the background for Chloe was a lucky find, saw her walking along the road and asked to make her portrait.
The background just happened to be directly opposite where I stopped Chloe.
It is one of my favourite portraits so far.

So many great photos. Reminds me of why I love portraits and black and white. Nice variety of people with character, great focus on the eyes and of course the all important creamy bokeh. Regret selling my 50mm now as I don't really have an unobtrusive lens any more and I think if I took my 70-200 out people would run a mile. Great project - keep up the good work! If I ever get another 50mm (maybe the Sigma ART) if I can save up my pennies I might give this a go in Glasgow.

Have to say these are excellent images, can't believe people are so cooperative. You clearly have a very kind, trustworthy face ☺

So many great photos. Reminds me of why I love portraits and black and white. Nice variety of people with character, great focus on the eyes and of course the all important creamy bokeh. Regret selling my 50mm now as I don't really have an unobtrusive lens any more and I think if I took my 70-200 out people would run a mile. Great project - keep up the good work! If I ever get another 50mm (maybe the Sigma ART) if I can save up my pennies I might give this a go in Glasgow.

Thanks Michael.
I just sort of fell into using the 50mm at the start and have stuck with it throughout both rounds of 100 strangers barring a few portraits.
I completed my first round of strangers in Glasgow. I would encourage you to give it a go.

Have to say these are excellent images, can't believe people are so cooperative. You clearly have a very kind, trustworthy face ☺

Thanks BC (y)
People will surprise you if you just ask.
I have a face for radio, so if I can do it, anyone can :D
Kidding aside, it's all about a friendly, open approach. I hand out my card with all my details on, incl: email, Facebook/Flickr pages and mobile telephone number, that tends to allay anyone's fear. It's all there to check if people so wish.

I love these and I love this thread! I NEED to do a strangers project, great inspiration :)

Thanks Stuart, i would encourage you to do so, it'll grab you I'm sure as it has me. :)

Just discovered this great series - each one comes over as a person! In the generalised genre of so-called 'street photography', that's quite an achievement!

Love these images, have not read more than the first page's comments though so forgive me if this has already been asked/answered but I love the lighting of these images... is this just natural light with the subject holding a reflector, or is there more to it ?

I've never been into shooting portraits but these cracking shots have inspired me a bit!

Just discovered this great series - each one comes over as a person! In the generalised genre of so-called 'street photography', that's quite an achievement!

Thanks Rog,
I'm glad you see the portraits like that. As much as I enjoy the photography, I also enjoy the engagement and interaction with each stranger.

Love these images, have not read more than the first page's comments though so forgive me if this has already been asked/answered but I love the lighting of these images... is this just natural light with the subject holding a reflector, or is there more to it ?

I've never been into shooting portraits but these cracking shots have inspired me a bit!

Thanks @gothgirl,
No worries about asking questions. Yes, all natural light with me holding the reflector. I use one with a handle and shoot my camera one handed.

Love your portraits, i usually just view them without commenting, sorry ;)

That being said for some reason the shot in post 169 is just not doing it for me, maybe it's my tired eyes.

Love your portraits, i usually just view them without commenting, sorry ;)

That being said for some reason the shot in post 169 is just not doing it for me, maybe it's my tired eyes.

Thanks Giovanni, fair enough about Tanya's portrait ;)

This is Oscar, he is Tanya's, my last stranger portrait that I made, son.

Oscar.jpg

Cracking set of portraits.

Excellent set,really well done.:clap::)

How did I miss this amazing thread, I so badly wish I didn't have to rush off and do my groceries and leave this awesome discovery!!

Fantastic images and fantastic concept!!:beer:

Matt

Thanks Matt (y)

If you wish, please visit my 100 strangers thread over in the projects section, there is more narrative with the photographs.
This thread is for the B&W conversions.

Cheers

Iain

Today saw my return to shooting my strangers project around Sloane Square, London.
Results are posted below.

Great images. I wish I had the 'balls' to do this .. And the time!
In the meantime, I will live vicariously though your updates.

:D Thanks Meeten, its really not about having 'balls' doing this though.
People will surprise you if you ask them, really. Whats the worst that can happen? Realistically, they'll say no, thats the worst.
If you really wish to try it, I say give it a go and come back to TP and post the results (y)

Superb thread, and some great portraits. Really enjoyed looking at it.

Many years ago I did a similar thing but for one month and focussed on Gents with a moustache only as part of Movember. It is great when you engage with stranger. Love it. Looking forward to how this continues.

Superb thread, and some great portraits. Really enjoyed looking at it.

Many years ago I did a similar thing but for one month and focussed on Gents with a moustache only as part of Movember. It is great when you engage with stranger. Love it. Looking forward to how this continues.

Thank you @dejongj
This thread is running in tandem with my main 100 strangers one, these are the B&W conversions of most of those.
Grace was #71 in that 100 so potentially I have a further 29 portraits to add to this thread, it will certainly be continuing but beyond that, probably not.
I wish to complete the 100 strangers its just slowed considerably of late.

Thanks again for your kind comments :)

Its been nearly a month since I was last out shooting my 100 strangers project. Today I managed to get out to restart the project.
I saw Pam browsing the stalls within the market and decided to ask to make her portrait.
A little reluctant at first but once I'd explained the project and gave her my card she agreed.
Still a little shy when making her portrait, I think this shows in the second image.

DSC_5022-Edit.jpg

DSC_5019-Edit.jpg

Its been nearly a month since I was last out shooting my 100 strangers project. Today I managed to get out to restart the project.
I saw Pam browsing the stalls within the market and decided to ask to make her portrait.
A little reluctant at first but once I'd explained the project and gave her my card she agreed.
Still a little shy when making her portrait, I think this shows in the second image.

View attachment 57672

View attachment 57673

Saw this on Flickr and absolutely love it! I think she'll be pleased with this image!

I actually prefer the 2nd image as it shows. Great contrast on the B&W!

Thanks Steven, I too prefer the second image but some might say differently as it doesn't have eye contact.

Thanks Steven, I too prefer the second image but some might say differently as it doesn't have eye contact.
I don't think the eye contact is needed in this shot due to it being obvious that's shes either shy or laughing something off.

Works very well for me and would make a great print*
*if it weren't for the iPod headphones

Back