My wife and daughter

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm curious what you good people think to this shot.
I almost never actually ask anyone to "stand there" or whatever and always use natural light - not because I'm one of those natural light types but honestly because I'm never organised enough to do one - in fact this is as far as I usually go, anyway enough of the excuses for not having taken a trailer full of lighting ;)

Mother and daughter
by John Norton, on Flickr

What a beautiful family portrait. I like the framing of the leaves, the out of focus background, highlighting the subjects

A truckload of lighting couldn't have improved this, it works perfectly.

lol, thank you all.

I was thinking I could have done something with the hair in post, but perhaps its better as natural as the moment was.

A beautiful photo of mum and daughter. No sign of any harsh shadows or blown highlights so I expect it was an overcast and cloudy day. I don't like the space to the right of the subjects because there's not enough detail or texture to identify whether it's a road or a river behind them. I know people like space in a picture but I think I'd have cropped it to a portrait from just above the racoon, out as far as her arm on the left and hand on the right so you would still have all the elements, the out of focus background, eye contact, the colourful dresses and the leaves framing the top.

Would that work for you too?

Last edited:
A beautiful portrait shot of mother and daughter. The dof is perfect isolating the subject from the background and the soft light is spot on.

Thanks again guys :)

@Derek_W Is this what you had in mind?

I'm not too sure myself.

Mother and daughter - crop
by John Norton, on Flickr

Yes, perhaps a little more off the right but pretty much how I envisaged the photo. Thanks for the edit. If I'd been there with you at the time, the portrait style is probably what I'd have taken but it's your photo and it's how you like to see it and how you intend to view it that's important.

The fact we can offer an opinion on someone's work and can discuss it is what makes a forum like this so interesting. I've so much to learn and so little time to put it into practise.

Lol, I know what you mean

Works for me, all the technicals look fine, but what makes this special is the interaction between mother & daughter, it's priceless.

I prefer the original crop too. Looks too cramped in the tighter crop IMO. The empty space in the first adds to the shot. Sort of like mum is there to provide protection should the daughter go off into the big wide world, and she will always be there to provide that love and protection. I may have over analysed this!

Lol, no that's very sweet, I'll let her know :)

The original crop looks much more natural to me, it looks like a close moment casualy captured, the tighter crop looks kind of staged imho

Back