My Youngest Two, Studio Portrait - Lencarta QuadLite

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Ive recently purchased a Lencarta QuadLite and gave it a whirl with my youngest two. I have only ever used natural light for my photography.....so this is a first for me.

Lit using 1 Lencarta QuadLite and reflector to help lift shadows. Shot using my 6D and 100L Macro. Background is a fleecy/fluffy type throw, hence the texture. Processed in LR5.

Would appreciate any pointers or feedback.

Thanks Craig.

Elizabeth - Studio Shoot
by S43 Photography, on Flickr

Elliott - Studio Shoot
by S43 Photography, on Flickr

For a first go - just fabulous!

I'd prefer a little more contrast too but that's personal taste. @sunnyside_up does this lifted-black-point style of processing beautifully. You'd have to ask Beth but I think that in part she maintains contrast by keeping the backdrop a little darker and less uniform. There are lots of ways of doing that including moving your subject away from the backdrop and perhaps lighting it separately.

Are yours a little soft or is it my eyes? A smidge of output sharpening might be worth a try.

Lovely captures. They look a little flat and slightly washed-out. Upping the blacks a little and adding a bit of contrast would make them 'pop'.

Thanks for your input.

I've been experimenting with my processing since starting to use LR. I personally like the look of the crushed/flat/lifted blacks, not too sure on the correct name for that technique. I do usually go for a more bolder and colourful process, but I'm just trying a different style.

For a first go - just fabulous!

I'd prefer a little more contrast too but that's personal taste. @sunnyside_up does this lifted-black-point style of processing beautifully. You'd have to ask Beth but I think that in part she maintains contrast by keeping the backdrop a little darker and less uniform. There are lots of ways of doing that including moving your subject away from the backdrop and perhaps lighting it separately.

Are yours a little soft or is it my eyes? A smidge of output sharpening might be worth a try.

Yeah I'm a big fan of @sunnyside_up processing. Just trying to achieve my own version of that type of processing.

I moved my kids as far away as I could from the backdrop, but didn't have enough room on my initial setup. Will need to purchase more lighting to light up the backdrop seperately. Just wanted to see what I can achieve with keeping the lighting simple. Don't want to over complicate or confuse myself.

They do appear a tad soft, but look much sharper on Flickr and on my MacBook.

Thanks Craig.

@juggler @Jenko4980 - Thanks both for your compliments!

I do pretty much all of my processing in Lightroom, apart from any major fixing (extending canvas's, removing weird stuff, textures). I'm a big fan of the tone curve menu and have built up a few of my own presets that I use as a starting point, with the main editing in curves, shadows and clarity (to summarize).

You're doing yourself the biggest favour you can as you stated above - "keeping the lighting simple, don't want to over complicate...". :)

Small improvements - always a step in the right direction Looks good to me the second set are better....Great captures

Back