Naples, dawn to dusk

Edit My Images
Yes
On a short trip to Naples I managed a few outings. All taken with a Sony A7 and some old Olympus manual focus lenses (50mm and 35mm shift).

1. Dawn over Castel dell'Ovo
Napoli IV by Ian, on Flickr

2. Midday view of Vomero
Napoli I by Ian, on Flickr

3. Late afternoon towards Vesuvius
Napoli VII by Ian, on Flickr

4. Sunset over Posillipo
Napoli II by Ian, on Flickr

5. Early evening towards Vesuvius
Napoli VI by Ian, on Flickr

I'm not sure if these are a little dark - I'm processing on a laptop. But any comments welcome.

Lovely set of images, with yet another vote for #3 & #5.(y)

George.

3rd and 5th for me.

I was going to say the same.

3 is actually perfect just needs to be seen bigger. A lot bigger.

5. is a pick on similar grounds but could do with exposure boost.

4 is OK. A fair bit too dark and nothing fancy going on the foreground.

2. Darkish, reasonable capture - image agency material.

1. Interesting sky but that's about all. Light is not very spectacular and it has a cyan cast. Oh and it is UNDEREXPOSED.

I was going to say the same.

3 is actually perfect just needs to be seen bigger. A lot bigger.

5. is a pick on similar grounds but could do with exposure boost.

4 is OK. A fair bit too dark and nothing fancy going on the foreground.

2. Darkish, reasonable capture - image agency material.

1. Interesting sky but that's about all. Light is not very spectacular and it has a cyan cast. Oh and it is UNDEREXPOSED.
Yup, are with all these comments having lived with the shots a little. The darkness was from editing on my bright laptop, so my bad. Each shot benefitted from a boost. 3&5 look pretty good large (especially once I levelled the horizon properly...)

Here is another, full daylight this time (but also probably still a little dark as it is the laptop edit)
Napoli V by Ian, on Flickr

Yup, are with all these comments having lived with the shots a little. The darkness was from editing on my bright laptop, so my bad. Each shot benefitted from a boost. 3&5 look pretty good large (especially once I levelled the horizon properly...)

Here is another, full daylight this time (but also probably still a little dark as it is the laptop edit)
Napoli V by Ian, on Flickr

Nice light but yes a shade under. You see it more in the sky. Do you correct your lens's vingette characteristics. You can see it's shading a little, nothing untoward but that's a fix and a maybe 0.05 to 0.10 ev exposure increase, nothing drastic.

Nice light but yes a shade under. You see it more in the sky. Do you correct your lens's vingette characteristics. You can see it's shading a little, nothing untoward but that's a fix and a maybe 0.05 to 0.10 ev exposure increase, nothing drastic.

Lens vignetting was a big issue on all of these panos. I was using an old olympus shift lens on a Sony a7 and the vignetting when shifted left and right was pretty extreme (but only on the edge that was shifted out). I am not sure I managed to correct it perfectly before merging so there is a dodgy bit in the sky above Vesuvius in each one that I've tried to hide. If I do print them out large I think I will have to start from scratch

Lens vignetting was a big issue on all of these panos. I was using an old olympus shift lens on a Sony a7 and the vignetting when shifted left and right was pretty extreme (but only on the edge that was shifted out). I am not sure I managed to correct it perfectly before merging so there is a dodgy bit in the sky above Vesuvius in each one that I've tried to hide. If I do print them out large I think I will have to start from scratch

Now that you mention it - once you see it you cannot unsee it.

I avoid stitching if I can for a number of reasons

1. The join, I am a pixel peeper, my few attempts with sea scenes I've had less than perfect overlaps
2. Edge-center sharpness, you can get round this with masses of overlaps but all lenses have sharper edges that centers, you multiply this out with uneven sharpness across the entire frame
3. The dreaded V or U shape, yours don't have them but this is the biggie
4. Uneven vigetting, all lenses shade, and you repeat the affect accross the frame, unless you have lots of overlaps
5. Sensor dirt, you multiply the dust bunnies over the frames.
6. I have a high res sensor, I can get big prints from 1 file.

Back