B&W national Museum of Scotland

S

stupar

Where Symmetry vs. converging lines, where old vs. new

This is the first time I have actually attempted any proper photography in this building. It is absolutely dripping with amazing lines and textures. It's just hard to get the most out of it when you have a 3 year old in tow!
I have put them in order of what I believe to be strongest first - weakest last.

Stairway Symmetry by stuartpardue, on Flickr

Symmetry by stuartpardue, on Flickr

Converging lines by stuartpardue, on Flickr

I really like the first 2 and the 3rd is OK as well. Was interested in what you had used for these and notice it was the Fuji 16-50 lens which is said to be "lesser quality", but it doesn't look that way in your shots at all. The use of iso 1600 for the staircase really adds to the b&w grain effect and I think you really made the best of your subject here. I take it the 3yo is a kid and not the camera? :D

I really like the first 2 and the 3rd is OK as well. Was interested in what you had used for these and notice it was the Fuji 16-50 lens which is said to be "lesser quality", but it doesn't look that way in your shots at all. The use of iso 1600 for the staircase really adds to the b&w grain effect and I think you really made the best of your subject here. I take it the 3yo is a kid and not the camera? :D

Cheers Peter,
It was a toss up between the 16-50 or the 18-55 and at the time the budget could only stretch to the 16-50. I am happy with its performance for kit lens spec.

Yes the 3 year old is my son not the camera :D

Not familiar with the specific lens, but at f8 and low ISO with the camera well supported it can be hard to tell a good kit lens from a prime, especially if you're not printing larger than A4. A lot of people forget that, and just assume a lesser lens is obviously inferior under all circumstances.

Love No2 Stuart good lines and symmetry and the mono conversion works well

Back