Critique National Theatre, London

Nice composition, I am not a great fan of the post production though. Could we see one with a light to dark contrast and a bit less mid tone contrast and less micro detail.

Nice composition, I am not a great fan of the post production though. Could we see one with a light to dark contrast and a bit less mid tone contrast and less micro detail.

Yeah I agree with this. Nice shot, but not a fan of the PP.

Beautiful rendition and I for one am a fan of the pp!

Do you mean straight out of camera?
Where I come from we call that a "record shot" and they don't do well in competitions.

View attachment 32022

I think this is too flat and boring.

Last edited:
I like that, very good indeed (y)

Thanks to all for the comments.
Since joining a club I've been inspired to be a bit more "creative" and move away from straight "record" shots.
As I said, I'm not a great fan of B&W, but after a bit of playing in NIK SilverEfex I thought it was an appropriate treatment for what was almost monochrome anyway, the heavy sky was a bonus.

Fwiw I don't consider the original a record shot, it's been enhanced by post processing but a record shot is simply a photo to record a scene and the original is nicely composed and has interesting shapes and lines.

If camera club is about taking a record shot and using pp to make it good then I'm even more glad I didn't go down that avenue!

Fwiw I don't consider the original a record shot, it's been enhanced by post processing but a record shot is simply a photo to record a scene and the original is nicely composed and has interesting shapes and lines.
Since I shoot raw it's impossible to have a "Straight Out Of Camera" image - some processing is always involved.
The "original" I posted is as close to straight from camera as it gets, and hasn't had any post processing, other than very slight straightening and cropping.
If camera club is about taking a record shot and using pp to make it good then I'm even more glad I didn't go down that avenue!
Competition judges look beyond "record shots" and want some creative input or originality on the part of the photographer.

Last edited:
Back