Natwest Six Nations 2018

Because the knee isn't part of the arm ;)

He didn't have possession of the ball so he didn't lose possession and hitting it with part of your leg is a kick.

Yep.

Only 2 penalties from Wales, amazing discipline. England had 10.

Ok so we've got to the bottom of the try/no try. Can anyone explain why it wasn't a knock forward off his knee/leg?
For the same reason that it isn't a knock-on when you kick the ball.

Also no one appeared to think that because it came of Stef Evans' leg it is a kick, not a knock on; Anscombe could have been offside for being in front of the kicker.

I've not seen an angle of it so I don't know either way (might have been 10 yards onside for all I know), but worrying that that wasn't even a consideration by the officials

FWIW I thought the it was a try but not surprised it wasn't given

I sincerely hope you are right.

Well I'm not sure where you are imagining he spat on him?

Forgetting the fact the Welsh player grabs then English player by the shirt near the neck for whatever reason?

(Notice the video has been taken down now?)

Well, even in Union I think it should have been a penalty try. I think what should have happened was:
  • the ref spots the foul
  • he allows play on to see whether England gain an advantage
  • Watson touches the ball down in the corner
  • the ref decides that is no advantage compared to a penalty try (because the penalty try would be easier to convert)
  • he calls play back, awards the foul and a penalty try, and sends the defender to the sin bin
  • Farrell kicks the easy conversion and England get 7 points instead of 5
Except the ref cannot award a penalty try as a try was scored - he could only have awarded it of no try was scored (even with the new ruling) the relevant law is "If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted and value of the try is seven points."

I might be biased, I know what a try looks like and that was one.
I'm English and I thought it was a try too ...

It would - or at least could - have made a difference, surely? Wales lost by 6, and a converted try is worth 7.
Yes it is, but Wales scored a penalty kick from the advantage so the difference would only have been 4 - however no way of knowing how it would have affected the way the two teams played afterwards.

Off to Murrayfield today, I hope to christ its better than last weekend....
It couldn't have been worse Chris tbh Scotland were dire against the Weksh - and wasn't, for me the best game of the weekend (even though Engalnd won ;) ) Laidlaw was outstanding I thought.

Well I'm not sure where you are imagining he spat on him?

Forgetting the fact the Welsh player grabs then English player by the shirt near the neck for whatever reason?

(Notice the video has been taken down now?)

I wish I had the same 3D vision of the spitting incident as your good self to be able to make an accurate decision for myself.

Unfortunately my 3D didn't really flash up the shirt grabbing incident either, but I'm not sure if you have ever played the game, but that happens week in-week out and is by and large ignored, unlike Ford's no arm shoulder barge on Rhys Patchell in the first half ( could have and maybe should have been a yellow card).

Also no one appeared to think that because it came of Stef Evans' leg it is a kick, not a knock on; Anscombe could have been offside for being in front of the kicker.

I've not seen an angle of it so I don't know either way (might have been 10 yards onside for all I know), but worrying that that wasn't even a consideration by the officials
Nah, it wasn't an issue. Anscombe was way behind Evans when the ball went into the corner. That would have been totally obvious to the ref, no need to review it.

upload_2018-2-12_14-11-7.png

I wish I had the same 3D vision of the spitting incident as your good self to be able to make an accurate decision for myself.

Don't need 3D to see he's not spitting on him... Suppose the Welsh have to find a villain in Hartley!

Don't need 3D to see he's not spitting on him... Suppose the Welsh have to find a villain in Hartley!

Not really chum, Hartley does a good job of that for himself without help from anyone, Welsh or otherwise.

Nah, it wasn't an issue. Anscombe was way behind Evans when the ball went into the corner. That would have been totally obvious to the ref, no need to review it.
Fair enough, clear as day, I thought it would have been closer thus warrant looking at but definitely not

Gareth Anscombe's disallowed try was a huge decision in England's win over Wales and the television match official Glenn Newman got that call wrong - but it wouldn't have been a try anyway.

The TMO should have been shown the action frame by frame, which would have revealed the ball was touched down by Wales full-back Anscombe - his fingers brush it before England wing Anthony Watson gets his hands on the ball - so the touchdown is good.

But if he had seen the play frame by frame, he would also have seen the ball hitting Wales winger Steff Evans' fingers in the build-up - so the try wouldn't have stood as it was a knock-on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43026443

Nothing will change the result, so ..............................
Exactly, Sh!t happens, live with it, I'm sure England will get a bad decision at some point. Let's not become football pundits over this and drag rugby down to their level.

Reactions: Nod
I'm Welsh and suitably gutted, but I will agree, it's time to move on, especially as there looks like a formal admission has been made that it was the wrong decision by the TMO. OK, so it was, and I agree but the result will stand, no matter what now.

Lets just look forward the upcoming games. (y)

I agree the TMO is there to look at the video and make a decision, but yet again ( Scotland v Australia, Wales v Italy, England v NZ for example) the referee and TMO have got it terribly wrong, the TMO was flown in from NZ to specifically over see that game so must have been respected, but the fact remains,between himself, the referee and linesman they got it wrong.

I am not saying ( and AFAIK I have never claimed so) that Wales would have gone on to win, but had that try been awarded then the likelihood is the momentum would have been with Wales, but unfortunately we'll never know. And yes, sh!t happens and its a very bitter pill for me to swallow (not literally LOL) .

All the best,
Mr. Angry.

I agree the TMO is there to look at the video and make a decision, but yet again ( Scotland v Australia, Wales v Italy, England v NZ for example) the referee and TMO have got it terribly wrong, the TMO was flown in from NZ to specifically over see that game so must have been respected, but the fact remains,between himself, the referee and linesman they got it wrong.

I am not saying ( and AFAIK I have never claimed so) that Wales would have gone on to win, but had that try been awarded then the likelihood is the momentum would have been with Wales, but unfortunately we'll never know. And yes, sh!t happens and its a very bitter pill for me to swallow (not literally LOL) .

All the best,
Mr. Angry.
So what do the governing body do now or do they just stop at shaming the TMO? Yes they might have pointed out that TMO made an error but how does this help in the long run publicly outing him. It only goes to discredit the TMO process and have the TMOs now have this in the back of their mind rather than focusing on doing their job.

So what do the governing body do now
It's obvious isn't it - they have Mex with the TMO at all Wales games, breathing over his shoulder and with a live feed to the ref. :D

So thats the whole discussion over then. TMO made an error - official.

It's obvious isn't it - they have Mex with the TMO at all Wales games, breathing over his shoulder and with a live feed to the ref. :D

So thats the whole discussion over then. TMO made an error - official.

:banana::banana::banana: We'd never lose! :exit:

I think we need to keep in mind the TMO is there to give another opinion and while we hope the TMOs will come to the correct conclusion, sometimes, like everyone else, they get it wrong. They are not infallible and this time he made a mistake but there are plenty of times when, without the TMO, a try would not have been awarded when it should have been.

Dave

I think we need to keep in mind the TMO is there to give another opinion and while we hope the TMOs will come to the correct conclusion, sometimes, like everyone else, they get it wrong. They are not infallible and this time he made a mistake but there are plenty of times when, without the TMO, a try would not have been awarded when it should have been.

Dave
Pity this has so much coverage. What would have been good is if they got 100 TMOs who hadn't seen the game and subsequent fall out lined up and asked them to give their decisions to see if there was a unanimous TMO view.

Or if the TMO had exercised his judgement differently.

Back to those two "I don't know what counts as a catch any more" touchdowns at the Superbowl. Both times, the replay official could have justified disallowing the touchdown according to a strict reading of the rules. But both were clearly plays which *should* have been touchdowns, and the official used his common sense, or gave the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team, or something. Whatever his reasoning, it was the right decision both times.

Same here.

As an Englishman, I didn't enjoy that much but as a rugby fan, I did, especially the last 10 minutes or so.

Luckily, I also have Scottish, Irish and French blood in my veins so as long as Wales and Italy don't get a grand slam, I'm happy!!! :p

Not our best game and I thought at least one decision against England was a bit suspect, so what goes round comes round. The Scots just looked like they were more physical, in a good way, and we thought the team that played Wales would be a walk over, we were wrong and got stuffed. Well done Scotland, you played well especially that Huw Jones fella :)
Matt

Last edited:
Not our best game and I thought at least one decision against England was a bit suspect, so what goes round comes round. The Scots just looked like they were more physical, in a good way, and we thought the team that played Wales would be a walk over, we were wrong and got stuffed. Well done Scotland, you played well especially that Huw Jones fella :)
Matt

'xactly. The first denied try looked a bit dodgy but the second was an outstanding spot from the ref. Also, Scotland simply played better.

I thought our score flattered us, had Sexton's kicks gone over then the Irish would have been at 50, we had no answer to their short game and just couldn't get any possession. 2 tough games for Ireland now.

Well done Scotland, had they played like that in their previous games they would have been looking for a GS too.

Two good games yesterday and a great and well deserved result for Scotland. Some examples of fine handling by the Irish backs.

Dave

Back