weekly NCF15 52 for 2021 Week 52 Showcase

Week 0 Near
Jay by Nick Dallimore, on Flickr
Everything counts as Near these days as we aren't allowed to travel so I thought this rather cold Jay from yesterdays dog walk would do. Shame it wouldn't turn it's head round a bit more.

Nicely caught Nick (y)

And the profile image doesn't bother me at all TBH

Nice bird image, Jays are usually quite shy I find, really well caught.

You have an eye :)
And it's not as if these small feathered things listen to requests from togs (I hear they just tend to fly away). People photography is so much easier ;)
Nicely composed, it has space to look into, it's on a third and the blue on the wing pops nicely. (y)

Can't knock that, lovely picture.

Hi Nick

That's sharp shooting, nicely framed, and an unusual bird. (I don't know much about birds)

Last edited:
Lovely shot, I would be tempted to add a vignette centred on the bird just to tone down the tree 'clutter' a bit on the right hand side

It maybe a profile shot, but it still looks to me as if the bird has it's eye on you.

Just a personal taste thing, but I quite like the clutter. To me it frames it, and the light on the bird is enough to let it stand out.

That's a cracker. It does indeed look cold (or very well fed!)

The profile of lovely - a head on might have been different, but I'm not sure if would have been any better.

Nice angle and shot!

I really enjoy photos of things I so rarely see. Made me smile. Thanks.

Lovely sharp image. Judging by his feathers it must have been pretty chill.

There is a large white rectangle about a third of the way from the right hand side it looks a bit odd. I like a bit of dead space but the apple seems to be very oddly placed, maybe you had a reason though

Nice image but I can't help wondering what the white bar is at about 1/3rd from the right (or is it my monitor?). Colours of the apple are really nice

There seems to be a feint line extending from the top right of the apple when viewed large. Nice colours though, and a hint of colour in the shadow which works for me. While the crop looked odd to me at first, the longer I look, the more I like it.

White backgrounds aren’t easy (well not for me anyway) you’ve done really well, I think maybe a crop to the left of that mark would really focus the eye on the apple because now its been mentioned I do keep seeing it, the apple is really nicely focused, lots of good detail in there.

Clean bright image that is screaming for a headline in all that dead space :)

A bit too much space for me, but as Allan said - there may be a reason for it. It's unusual and catches the eye for sure.

Yep - needs a crop - but otherwise a nice image.

Nice simple striking image - I think it would benefit from tidying the background.

For me I don't like it.
-ve
1 the white bar (I assumed it was the forum and edge of pic but now. Perhaps a processing mistake and not cropped where you wanted it (ie edge of the white box would be good)
2 there is a gray line near the top of the apple
3 Perhaps its a light coloured apple, or white balance is off ?
+ve
it's in focus
With the crop at the box, would site on the rule of thirds
You got a pic up fast

Saying this I still have to take a pic... and I'm not sure yet what....

Yes my post processing needs to improve. I hadn't seen the background issues on my screen.

Yes my post processing needs to improve. I hadn't seen the background issues on my screen.
My screen does not show up any issues with your background either! I think it is a lovely image with excellent lighting. Well done.

I quite like the idea of all that dead space on the right, it's unusual, and unusual stands out :)
Interesting that you can't see the white bar though, it does jump out. Different monitors I guess.

Fruit
Nice controlled lighting to create the slight Shadow around the apple.

I like the colours and some of the negative space but I would have cropped on the left edge of the white rectangle.

post processing is a weekness of mine too, the clean and simple look is not as simple to get. I like the colours of the apple.

The colours are lovely, but for me there's a bit too much space on the RHS, and the bottom right of the apple has lost too much detail. The background doesn't bother me at all, but overall, it doesn't do it for me I'm afraid :( Sorry!

Like Alison said - a simple looking photo is rarely simple to achieve.

I agree with what has been said already. Initially it looked ok for me on the forum but I can see the processing issues and the bar when I go into flickr. The apple itself is crisp (scuse the pun) and great colour though.

Stunning shot of the Jay, it is totally in focus and it seems in deep thought.
I agree with what others have said about the bar to the right it is distracting but thankfully easily removed.

Nice high key shot of the apple. I like all the negative space and the lighting casting a slight shadow. The rectangle should be easy to edit out.

Your jay shot is superb. I have two that frequent my garden, but they are so tricky to photograph!

Interesting use of negative space, can see the vertical bar referred to by many when viewed on an iPad. A crop from the right to the edge of the bar would help, personally I would like a darker shadow too

Dirty, similar idea to what I have in mind. Fits the theme perfectly, works well as B&W also.

Back