need HELP recovering raw pictures

Name
Charlotte
Edit My Images
No
Not sure where to post this as it is my first thread...
I did a maternity session a few days ago. All photos were perfect on my LCD screen. When I downloaded them, they also appeared normal at first. Afterwards (when I already reused the card :/) I tried to open them but they all have those red/green lines on them.
I'm sure quite sure the data of the pics are there but when I try to open them they are all unusable! I tried a few recovery program but not luck so far.
I don't know what to do :crying: :crying: :crying: If anyone can help me I'll be forever grateful

I did a maternity session a few days ago. All photos were perfect on my LCD screen. When I downloaded them, they also appeared normal at first. Afterwards (when I already reused the card :/) I tried to open them but they all have those red/green lines on them.
I'm sure quite sure the data of the pics are there but when I try to open them they are all unusable! I tried a few recovery program but not luck so far.
I don't know what to do :crying: :crying: :crying: If anyone can help me I'll be forever grateful
What app are you opening them in and con you post up a screen shot of the corruption you are seeing?

Are the backed up files also showing the same irregularities?
Just trying to identify if its the actual files or where you are storing/viewing them

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your problem but can I just clarify with/for you:-
What you see on the camera LCD is an embedded jpg from within a raw file.

If on the computer (PC?) you were reviewing them in Windows Explorer.......you are AFAIK also only seeing the embedded jpg! It is only when you open the file in your raw processing program that you will the actual raw files.

What app are you opening them in and con you post up a screen shot of the corruption you are seeing?
+1 to this

Subject to seeing a screenshot example of the red & green lines you mention I fear the affected files are exhibiting data corruption.

Last edited:
Are the backed up files also showing the same irregularities?
Just trying to identify if its the actual files or where you are storing/viewing them
I surmise that by the OP description there are not any backup or duplications :(

I surmise that by the OP description there are not any backup or duplications :(

Just assumed there was, oh dear!!

I wouldn't go on how they appear in something like Windows Photo Viewer
For example it showed an awful aurora like tint on raw files from my Olympus E-M1
They were fine when the raw was viewed via Lightroom, so maybe try opening with your usual editing software

Last edited:
It is most often associated with hardware problem. It could be a failing hard drive or some other problem with the hardware.

RAW file are pure enough Lightroom etc does not write anything onto RAW files and if the images was ok on LCD then I would suggest looking at your PC

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Just assumed there was, oh dear!!

I wouldn't go on how they appear in something like Windows Photo Viewer
For example it showed an awful aurora like tint on raw files from my Olympus E-M1
They were fine when the raw was viewed via Lightroom, so maybe try opening with your usual editing software

In regard to the red & green lines she mentioned. In the past I have seen such corruption on Canon raw files.....re-importing them seemed to be a cure. In that case it was a transfer problem and I as a precaution replaced the card reader.

I hope @ChaGab comes back with more structured information about the what, how and screenshots.

On one note she will not like to hear and we have seen this come up all too often........why is she apparently only using a single memory cardb& why did she not check 100% that the transferred files were ok before reusing the card???

But such, at times, is life.

All may not be lost, but we're going to need more info before we can really help...

It's quite possible even if the raw file themselves are corrupt, you can recover the JPG preview from the file, so you will at least have something, or it could just be a case of the software opening the files being silly and the files are all still there etc. Give us more, and many here will help...

Quickest route to help is to share one of the 'poorly' files (drop box , google drive etc) and we can confirm whether they are corrupt or it's a local software problem.
Next option is to share details of the software and screenshots of the 'corruption'.

Have you tried lightroom yet? I have had something like this before. Loaded fine in light room and I was able to export them out.

She has not been seen since her OP last Thursday...........................so we will all have to be patient and see what she says about the above insights & advice???

Last edited:
Theres a program called instant jpeg from raw. It extracts the embedded jpeg the camera uses to display on screen. Even if the raw are faulty the jpeg "may" be ok. Worth a try. If you can post a raw somewhere I'll try it for you if it helps.

Back