Need the low-down on neutral density filters

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

I'll keep it brief - approximately what shutter speeds/apertures can I get away with 2/4/8x ND filters?

I wanted to take some slower shutter speed shots on holiday but because it was a fairly bright day I couldn't get anything lower than 1/200 without over-exposure.

I'm using a Fuji S5100 with 55mm filters, if it matters. Haven't bought any ND filters yet, until I figure out which best suits my needs.

That question can't really be answered without knowing the light and the F stops you wish to use. If it helps any though, I carry a four stop ND filter and have never found it to be too dark and it has always allowed me to get the shots I need.

Also remember that the light in the "golden hour" is both softer and warmer, its recommended to shoot during this time to get the best results. Anything darker than a 4 stop will probably be too much.

I realise it was a very open-ended question - thx for the reply.

Reckon a safe bet would be to pick up a 2x *and* a 4x ND filter, just to cover the bases?

Missus has banned me spending money on me car, so I need other things to squander it on. :D

If you buy both a 2 stop and 4 stop I think you will cover both bases well. Personally as I said a four stop has served me well and never left me wishing for anything else.

Hey, if you have the money though ;)

Steve said:
Personally as I said a four stop has served me well and never left me wishing for anything else.

Hey, if you have the money though ;)

Same here, a 4 stop does fine. If I need 2 stops I just use the polariser.

dod said:
Same here, a 4 stop does fine. If I need 2 stops I just use the polariser.
Well that was my next question as I already have a polariser! Is there a vast difference between that and 2X ND?

Light wise it depends on the make of your polariser, Jessops own tend to block about 2-3 stops of light where as quality ones such as Hoya have much less light loss.

Obviously a ND filter should have no effect on the light other than to reduce the amount getting through where as a polariser is designed to do other things and light loss is just a side effect.

....I found the need for an ND filter myself today trying to take a picture of a water fountain. Question is, which filter... I've read that Lee are good filters, but the price is a touch steep! The starter kit is about 130 notes approx, which comes with a 0.6, and the ND filter kit (3 filters) is 133 notes! wowzers!

Try the Cokin P range. The filter holder will be about £6 quid and the filter adaptor about a fiver (mine was for the 77mm). The actual filters are about £10-12. I think Lee filters are glass hence the price.

>Steve: ...polariser, Jessops own tend to block about 2-3 stops of light...<

Interesting that as I have a second hand Jessops' one and it's pain to use. Might try a B & W one as a compromise between Hoya and Lee.

milou said:
Try the Cokin P range. The filter holder will be about £6 quid and the filter adaptor about a fiver (mine was for the 77mm). The actual filters are about £10-12. I think Lee filters are glass hence the price.

>Steve: ...polariser, Jessops own tend to block about 2-3 stops of light...<

Interesting that as I have a second hand Jessops' one and it's pain to use. Might try a B & W one as a compromise between Hoya and Lee.

..do you think there is any discernable difference between Cokin and Lee? (aside from price).. I had a Cokin system for a Fuji S7000 I had about a year ago, it seemed ok but never really used it much. The reason I thought Lee were more the standard was that the press (i.e. practical photography to which I subscribe) always refer to filters as 0.6 or 0.whatever, I tried to find a 0.6 Cokin filter and couldn't. Perhaps the range is named differently.

Tuys try SRB film for filters to fit the Cokin system, they can suppy all the brands or if you wish they can supply their own brand which is made from the same material as used by Lee or Hoya.

They buy in substandard pains with damage or marks, cut and machine it themselves to get the perfect sections which are then retailed. These are fully guaranteed but they will not state weather each filter has come from a sheet of Lee or Hoya material. Obviously the main benefit is cost, these are a fraction of the price of a Lee ot Hoya branded filter.

The 0.3, 0.6, and 0.9 refer to the amount of light they stop...0.3 is1 stop, 0.6 is 2 stops and 0.9 is 3 stops.

HTH

Back