Nest boxes and cameras

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys, as with most I'm locked in at home,keeping very busy . One of the little chores is putting up some bird boxes. So first up,do you have any successful designs for specific species, especially more unusual box designs. . Secondly anyone have any experience of nest box cameras. I expect they will be something I have to wait on as simply no job due to C19 no livelyhood things are getting tough,but so much knowledge and talent here I'd love to know more

I work in construction so often bring home scrap offcuts So thankfully I have all the gear and don't need to spend anything. I knocked up two little blue tit boxes last night and hung them, I honestly thought it a bit late for this year,I have both boxes in use this morning which is slightly nuts,:cool: The box right by the front door having two pairs scrapping over it now resolved and full tilt nest building in place.

As well as the lovliness of birds nesting in things I've made I 'm hoping this might create a few photo ops

Many thanks in advance

take care
stu

Thanks Laurence ya good mate? Buddy the notes on blue tits make an interesting read my garden is long not so wide,typical of farmworkers cottage . I suspect there are more pairs already nesting than the notes specify ie 2 to 3 pairs an acre

Buddy I am findiing lots of the more general info say bluetits, great tit robins pied wag wren also a fair bit for BOP He he incidentally I have an LO box up a scheme where I'm going to make images of owls from my bedroom window ,I know Laurence pigs might fly:LOL: but I had to try. Oh i've also found a fair bit for hirundines

What i'm after is successes with "not so usual birds" and boxes,just trying to broaden the spectrum of species we might help

many thanks though useful stuff there:)

take care

stu

Stu

Ah! less usual eh.........

May be stating the obvious but if you have seen the less common ones in the garden bit not too often, it could be that you're simply(?) on their feeding/foraging route and as such not in an area that they might naturally look for a nesting site.

Having said that I surmise that if you made and placed around the garden some next box "types" that would be attractive to the different species.......you may well be rewarded :) hope so as I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts :)

Last edited:
Ha results...............We'll see, no harm in trying.;)

. I've put about eight or so various base designs, no grace just function: take up will probably be low but expected despite the blue tits tis all too late. I wondered if anyone was doing something a bit unorthodox . Are you aware of this.....https://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/...arded-beauties-to-reedbed.aspx?s_id=166964887

We largely cater for hole nesters with boxes I've been musing if something like this only made with maybe willow would attract a wider variety than the more classic users of our boxes. Mate I don't expect a species that appears once a year like a hobby to take up residence. I'm just trying to think a little left field of more usual designs

The LO's are about here somewhere, we hear them all the time but sadly I have a zillionaire living behind me so can't access one patch on my doorstep. I might just be far enough out from the breeding site to pick up some young, though maybe next year...... Ha it is fantastical but might just be possible.

Laurence folks are even using calls to educate swifts as to a potential nest site ( box) , obviously they are a colony nester but even so. tis fascinating.:)

@Stuart Philpott

Stu

Thanks for the link, not one I have seen before, will have a look around it. But did you notice the picture of the nestling tit and the dotty markings in its gape..... remarkable the adaptions we see in nature:)

As for luring (educating???) birds to nesting spaces ~ none to sure what to make of that especially as using recorded songs to 'draw in' birds to bird hides is frowned upon! They both change natural behaviour with possibly unintended consequences???

ha educating is a strong word huh:LOL: " making aware" maybe better!! me and words mate;)

Laurence, no I didn't but I am aware of gape markings have been for a long time Rather than me stumbling about trying to explain the audio remark have a dig here https://www.bristolswifts.co.uk/
I've linked the whole site but again fascinating reading
Personally i'd be extremely cautious about the use of audio wouldn't dream of using it in image making.. I have a tourist hot spot not far away with a herd of captive red deer. I've only made images there a couple of times Can't cope) The amount of morons that run up to them phone in hand playing roaring noises from the rut beggar's belief. Tis not for me mate I have no idea on the phone anyway and no wish to use it for that!!.

That swift chap seems to me to be doing some fantastic work and i'm as sure as I can be his uses are skilled and benefit the birds not us. It stunned me Laurence I'm was simply not aware techniques like this were being used . I started this thread looking for unusual designs as before slightly left field,of a few bits of wood cobbled together. Audio wasn't something I expected to see being used as a conservation technique with nesting birds who knew huh. :)

I've just managed to get home from an unplanned extra stay in Australia. I installed a side view camera nest box at Christmas and couldn't wait to switch on the TV and see what was in there....... NOTHING..... not a thing.... not even any bird crap. This birdbox is in exactly the same place as my old one that has been successful nearly every year. GUTTED!

Further to my last post I seem to have a very mixed up Blue tit in the nest box. It has spent a couple of days bringing in nesting material followed by a day bringing in grubs looking around who to give them too and then eating them itself. Probably a lone bird with an earlier failed nest somewhere.

_DSC6200.JPG

Neil my humbles I've missed your first post,We have had one nest predated,by our front door. They then moved to another box and must be very close now to fladging now. We had two boxes occupied straight away,the other one have now left the nest good little brood they are now all on the front feeders.

I have no idea what'sgoing on with that mixed up little chap in your box. although we are seeing some odd stuff here too like baby blue tits begging for food from great tits. Mate just a little thing. I allways place a hand ful of old organiic type compost,or shavings in the base of a new box. Firstly I feel it makes a sterile hard box a bit more enticing to prospective home makers ,second something good and soft might help prevent egg brakages. i've always done this since I built my first box as a child,take up always seems pretty good .

Buddy I don't think legally you can touch this box now but at the end of the season,say early autumn give it a good clean out and pop something in the base,i'd lay a bet things turn around for you next year.

Hey ho little one might be a bit mixed up ,but at least you have a start:)

all the luck with them

stu

Your welcome Neil call me stu all do:). Buddy don't give up yet this might still come to something. I always clean boxes early winter, mite numbers can build up and cause probs, for the little ones. I do it then because sometimes birds like wrens will use a box in the depths of winter, to roost, they will all pile in together for warmth, So i've always taken that view of setting it clean for them just in case. i've read reports of silly numbers doing this,but never seen it myself, Something to watch out for when it turns cold though especially with a camera in your box

Back