New Bug... (Agathidium badium??)

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
A bug I've not seen before or if I have I thought it was something else.

Venus 60mm + 1.4x TC + 36mm Tube + Flash Diffused (Need to figure a different setup for this maybe a little section of pringles tube and someway of getting focus light to the front :Note: works fine at 1:1 or less)

After this shot it moved away so I nudged it gently with my finger and it hid into #2/3 then walked away in a way that I couldn't get a decent shot of its face. Lighting not great as flash batteries where on way out +3 exposure and still output wasn't enough.

Any suggestions on ID greatly appreciated.

IMG_3732
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. In Hiding

IMG_3734
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_3733
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated

:ty:

Love this, great pics!

Looks similar to something @T0p cat found not so long ago, Agathidium sp. a Round Fungus Beetle. Great shots, particularly the defensive behaviour!

Thats awesome mate, what a great find.

I've just sent you a PM.

:D thanks mate not a patch on your find though ;)

Shiny little thing isn't it?

Very good though.

Paul.

Yeah well shiny... love the detail and thought I'd try the Venus on your setup though I don't really need too :D

How do you setup your focus light for TC + Tube?

Love this, great pics!

Thanks Jamie

Looks similar to something @T0p cat found not so long ago, Agathidium sp. a Round Fungus Beetle. Great shots, particularly the defensive behaviour!

Cheers Tim, I'm slightly annoyed that I missed focus on the first but the focus light wasn't providing enough light at full magnification (lens blocking it)

My reckoning is Agathidium badium thanks for the tip off :D

Last edited:
Some good shots Bryn, shiny little thing.(y)

George.

That's awesome! Similar kind of defence as that orabatid mite i found the other day. Great stuff.

Thanks Mark... really want to find more, I thought it was debris at first but had the mind to check it through lens to see #1 shot facing me.

Back