New camera and Lightroom option

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a question...
So if I decide to buy a new Canon... am I stuck to using Lightroom CC and paying for the monthly subscription? Does this mean if I kept just this camera and nothing else for 10 years, I'd have to pay 10 years worth of subscription just to be able to process my photos using Lightroom?

Is there no standalone version anymore? :(

You can still get LR6 as a standalone I think and that should work for the new cameras.

LR6 is the last standalone version there will be (until fashions change and there is another standalone version, but don't hold your breath),

Got a question...
So if I decide to buy a new Canon... am I stuck to using Lightroom CC and paying for the monthly subscription? Does this mean if I kept just this camera and nothing else for 10 years, I'd have to pay 10 years worth of subscription just to be able to process my photos using Lightroom?

Just which Canon camera model have you got and are you shooting Raw and /or jpeg? Knowing that will inform more definitive answer as to any compatibility issues.

PS sorry I just reread your post (on smartphone..... that's my excuse....;) ) that you are talking about a new Canon.....but as above ~ which model???

You can still get LR6 as a standalone I think and that should work for the new cameras.

LR6 is the last standalone version there will be (until fashions change and there is another standalone version, but don't hold your breath),

Yes, AFAIK it is still possible to buy standalone version 6.........but if the OP's camera is too recent to be covered by the last & final ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) then using the free Adobe DNG convertor will be a needed step!

Last edited:
Got a question...

Lightroom is not compulsory for any camera.
Canon's come with Digital Photo Pro (DPP) software, that includes an excellent raw convertor.
If you want something else, there are loads of raw developer programs available that you don't have to pay a monthly rental fee for.
Personally, I'm using On1 RAW 2019 for my Canon raw files, and I no longer use any Adobe products.

As said already, there are alternatives to Lightroom. On1 PhotoRAW has a converter that will bring over your images with edits now. DXO won't do that, but it will handle current gear, and can export images into Lightroom in TIFF and DNG format. Both are stand-alone packages.

There is also Affinity Photo which will develop RAW files a la Lightroom, and allow you to work on them a la Photoshop .. it is also stand alone

Lightroom is not compulsory for any camera.
Canon's come with Digital Photo Pro (DPP) software, that includes an excellent raw convertor.
If you want something else, there are loads of raw developer programs available that you don't have to pay a monthly rental fee for.
Personally, I'm using On1 RAW 2019 for my Canon raw files, and I no longer use any Adobe products.

DPP is not at the same level as latest lightroom. The output would be more like from 5DII and it is no surprise Canon is *actively* promoting Adobe.

Capture one may be a worth alternative. But then you don't get photoshop with that. From a few posts here I noticed the alternatives have a hard time even cloning out a basic but mid-size marks. It's an expensive camera and it deserves the best software really.

There are discounts at Amazon a few times a year. Now would be a good time to check.

From a few posts here I noticed the alternatives have a hard time even cloning out a basic but mid-size marks

Some of the alternatives don't struggle too hard with cloning. ;)

Weston cloning-09739.jpg

Weston cloning-09739-2.jpg

On1 software, about 3 years ago (current version is even more effective). :) I'd agree that DXO cloning sucks though. Capture 1 is excellent software, but with a price attached.

Last edited:
Some of the alternatives don't struggle too hard with cloning. ;)

View attachment 140985

View attachment 140986

On1 software, about 3 years ago (current version is even more effective). :) I'd agree that DXO cloning sucks though. Capture 1 is excellent software, but with a price attached.

Ok, i'd be happy with that. Gimp and some other popular software I can't remember the name of can only do basic copy and paste cloning, and make total mess with the adaptive versions.

Thinking of maybe getting a Canon 5D MK IV
The 5D Mark IV is supported by Lightroom 6 (with updates applied):

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

You can still buy the LR6 download with a perpetual licence from Amazon for £104:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-PC-Download/dp/B00WAQ5NMW
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Mac-Download/dp/B00WAQ5RO6

Note that if a camera is not already supported in LR6, it won't be in the future - updates stopped a while ago. I assume there also won't be security updates.

DPP is not at the same level as latest lightroom. The output would be more like from 5DII and it is no surprise Canon is *actively* promoting Adobe.
Citation needed. Lightroom is a nicer piece of software with a slicker interface, faster processing and better documentation than many of the camera manufacturers' own converters, and adds powerful image management features, but that doesn't mean the output is better (with appropriate use of settings). And DPP can exploit Canon's dual pixel raw technology on the 5D Mk IV, whereas ACR/LR just processes these files in the standard way:

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/dual-pixel-raw
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/x-productkb/multi/editing-canon-dual-pixel-raw-cr2.html

Last edited:
Ok, i'd be happy with that. Gimp and some other popular software I can't remember the name of can only do basic copy and paste cloning, and make total mess with the adaptive versions.

Ah, now I understand what you meant. This was all done with the clone stamp tool in layers. TBH I've never found a program anywhere that can do decent intelligent erase for much more than dust spots, including some that was sold by Macphun with an amazing demo, erasing large objects in a scene, that was simply useless in real life application. The erase tool in On1 Photoraw is pretty good for telegraph wire etc and certainly as good as Lightroom, but nothing beats careful use of clone-stamp where there's a large amount of stuff to remove.

nothing beats careful use of clone-stamp where there's a large amount of stuff to remove

It very much depends on the image. Sometimes you just have nothing appropriate to sample from, or in case of smooth gradients the smart tool in PS can do a much better job in an instant. For example a very large branch in the sky would be the best example here.

Back