New Canon DSLR rumours....

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
2 rumours kicking about, Canon to release 2 new cameras, 35D and 5D, one is a 1.6x crop and one is a 1.1 12 or 13mp full frame.....what do we know?????

*we know Konica own the 5D name?*

Ooer..:shock:

I kind of hope it's not true. I really don't need the temptation.

Stolen from POTN ! lol

5dfront.png

5dback.png

No idea if genuine pics or photochopped whatever !

Also

yeah i got the PDF too, look at the author and document properties

Well if it's a chop it's extremely well done. What do you make of that button to the left of the viewfinder? It looks like a printer icon.

It is the pictbridge printer icon.

The 350d has it to the right of the LCD...the button is shared with the display illumination button

Oooh please please please release it. I have just decided that I want the 20D for its low noise and faster buffer.

Lets hope the new model is more reliable than the 20D... :yawn:

looking around late August/September for a new release if these rumours are true....will be interesting!

I can't see it being cheap! If it's full frame and 12.8 mill pixels it will surely slot in between the 1DS Mk2 and the 1D Mk 2. The big preview screen is something the reviewers have been pressing for for ages.

I understand the actual cost of producing the full frame sensor represented over 80% of the cost of the original 1DS. As the 1DS Mk2 is significantly cheaper than the original 1DS it's fair to assume they've got manufacturing costs down somewhat and may even be holding them down artificially to a degree, though no doubt they're still expensive to produce.

I can't honestly see where this 5D fits into Canon's line up, but (if it's true) it's an encouraging sign that full frame sensors may be starting to work their way down the food chain.

Well think about where it will fit in the Canon line up.

Under the 350D? Seriously doubt it.
Betweent the 350 and 20D? Nope.
Between the 20 and the 1DS? Possibly.
There is a bit of a gap between the 20 and the 1DS, a jump that few people take unless they're either lottery winners or professionals.
Maybe this would bridge that gap and offer something inbetween?

You're forgetting the 1D mk2 though Bod. Although that camera is only a 1.3X crop and 8 mill pixels, if the 5D is full frame and 12.8 mill pixels it's going to blow it out of the water. I can only see it being next in line below the flagship model. We could be pleasantly surprised of course and Canon are declaring war on the opposition, realeasing the 5D for about 1500 quid! :LOL:

:tonofbric

maybe it's gonna replace the 1d mkII? At the rate technology updates these days it wouldn't surprise me. And it would fit with the idea of top end technologies cascading down the product line over time. Same full frame sensor, less pixels and slightly lower spec maybe?

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here. I've only just gone 'up' to a 350D myself, so am relatively new to the SLR world, and thus anything above the 20D I don't know much about :D

I've just been having a bit of a scout around ;)

Now if you look at the PDF that's been floating around the net.
Have a look at the PDF document info.

In there it mentions two people

Jim Bowes and Mariska van Geel
it also mentions cayenne communications

Jim Bowes is a studio manager at cayenne, and Mariska van Geel is an accounts manager.
They, and the company are based in the netherlands.
cayenne communications is an advertising agency, who have coincidentally done some work for Canon in the past, not excluding a 20D poster :)

If the document info was to prove in the negative, ie it was created by Joe Flibbles, a 15 yr old schoolkid from Swansea, then that would have been easier, but this doesn't prove it's false, more reinforces that it's real.
But then again, the information in the properties could also be a 'plant'

if the pdf is reall then it sounds like a kinda cheap 1DsMkII, High res, full frame studio/lanscape (slow stuff :D) camera.

Which would leave the 1DMrkII as the flagship high speed monster and the 20D as a lower priced speed monster!

Just my thoughts ;)

If this camera is real, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if it is, I can't see a full-frame 12MP camera coming without an inbuilt grip as per the 1 series. also, the 1Ds Mk II has issues with some lenses lacking the resolving power to match the resolution of the sensor meaning that some very expensive L-series lenses don't work so well with it so I'd have thought their strategy would be to increase the pixel count (as they did successfully with the 20D and 1DMk II sensor) but not the sensor size. This pdf could well be a client mock up that's escaped which would probably mean that the information provided by Canon could well be duff, as they, in common with many "brands", leave little to chance with information being able to get out and will only supply the real specs to the agency just prior to production.

Adrian that sounds quite feasible. IN which case the author etc is correct, just the actual factual details wrong, with it being a mockup.

Back