New Car Ideas?

just received my octy VRS estate (albeit diesel) and can confirm they're nice motors.

We went to Austria last year and due to a mix up at the rental place, instead of the Seat Leon I'd paid for I got given an Octavia VRS220 DSG estate.

Bloody lovely to drive and not bad MPG either. The Cmax felt incredibly slow when we got back home haha

I would keep the TT for as long as you can to be honest. The only real way *forward* is R8 and that carries a heftier tag.

I would be quite happy with Audi A5/S5 convertible as well. They finally have DSG versions and obviously 4 decent seats so may be well worth looking into it.

What's wrong with a convertible?

I've had a Honda del Sol, Mazda MX5, Peugeot 307 and now a Mini Cooper convertible and never had a problem with the roof. Always worked, not excessive noise and never leaked.

My 64 reg Cooper is the best of the lot so far. Roomy, nippy, comfortable, reliable and I no longer need, or miss, the power and speed of the Del Sol.

So a minor update, I have reconciled not having a convertible and spent a while looking for a 4WD A3 / S3 Sportback and am struggling to find one with the extras I want within my budget.

I’ve had a look at some Golfs and although not as plush inside as an Audi aren’t that bad at all and the R comes with pretty much every toy as standard and there are a lot about so thinking I’ll head that way.

Also looked at a few of the things mentioned here and the only one left I’m mildly thinking I should check out is a Mini of some sort and also there is a Merc garage nearby so might take a look but never really been bowled over by any I’ve sat in (Uber!).

I have a 2018 Cooper S convertible, my original plan had been to get an MX5 but I preferred the Mini & it has the bonus of a couple of extra 'small' seats. My 6 year old granddaughter loves travelling in the Mini with the roof down. It will accommodate a pair of isofix child seats.

I have a 2018 Cooper S convertible, my original plan had been to get an MX5 but I preferred the Mini & it has the bonus of a couple of extra 'small' seats. My 6 year old granddaughter loves travelling in the Mini with the roof down. It will accommodate a pair of isofix child seats.

Well I never got quite as far as trying a Mini, I test drove a Golf R today and bought a nearly new one there and then (well, it needs to be delivered to the local dealer).

It is a pretty epic car which actually feels nicer on the road than my TT, although I put that down to my TT having the silly 20" rims on which makes all but the best roads feel a little jittery. Driving it you could forget it is a hatchback, eyes forward it feels like a race car on rails and then I got it back to the dealer and put the babies in seats in the back.

You best bet is a Nissan xtrail 7 seater ready then for an even larger family later on . Good on fuel economy as well

Last edited:
So a minor update, I have reconciled not having a convertible and spent a while looking for a 4WD A3 / S3 Sportback and am struggling to find one with the extras I want within my budget.

I’ve had a look at some Golfs and although not as plush inside as an Audi aren’t that bad at all and the R comes with pretty much every toy as standard and there are a lot about so thinking I’ll head that way.

Also looked at a few of the things mentioned here and the only one left I’m mildly thinking I should check out is a Mini of some sort and also there is a Merc garage nearby so might take a look but never really been bowled over by any I’ve sat in (Uber!).
Golf R is a great motor.

Back