New flash test in garden

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got a Godox AD600B, and decided to give it a quick blast outside with very dark clouds overhead, no sign of the sun and just beginning to spit with rain hence a very quick test. Took this using HSS mode with the head 10 feet back from the subject at a height of around 8ft using just a 7" reflector on the head. I had it running on the battery, great to have no cables to fall over. Great piece of kit, a big thanks to Alex at Lencarta for getting here fast and in perfect order.

Bethany A.jpg

I love her sweet smile but…

No, Tim, this flash test is not conclusive. Because you
multiply the light sources on her face resulting in the
presence of two shadows under her chin.

I would recommend you try with her back to the Sun
(this is a great hairline maker!) and use some diffusing
device on the flash head.

…don't forget to share your result! :cool:

I love her sweet smile but…

No, Tim, this flash test is not conclusive. Because you
multiply the light sources on her face resulting in the
presence of two shadows under her chin.

I would recommend you try with her back to the Sun
(this is a great hairline maker!) and use some diffusing
device on the flash head.

…don't forget to share your result! :cool:

Thanks Kodiak, yes I agree not a conclusive test by any means, kind of hoping the sun might pop out later when it's lower and I can get it right behind her, not seen it since this morning when it made a brief appearance. I'll take the same shot with a softbox attached and some natural back lighting when it appears.

The idea of this very quick exercise was to see how it performed with just a reflector and fast enough shutter to shoot handheld using HSS. Yes the shadows are noticeable, but the resulting image is more pleasing than had I not used the flash and went for the drab look using the rather dull ambient light. The sun was actually rear of the subject behind some rather menacing looking clouds, hence it's lack luster contribution. I'll be back :)

Many thanks for taking time to look and adding your thoughts.

Kind regards

Tim

…sure hope so! :cool:

OK, so the direct sunlight as such still never showed up, but it was sort of trying and it is right behind the subject, so I tried a few shots with minor variations. The common items being the flash head and a 100x70 softbox.

The sun wasn't having any of it, however I'm happy with the results as opposed to what I'd have got without the flash head on a really dull day.

1, Just the softbox and flash.

Beth 1 A.jpg

2, Silver reflector added just below chest height.

Beth 2 A.jpg

3, Gold reflector added just below chest height.

Beth 3 A.jpg

Last edited:

So soon? Cool!!!

I like the first because it does what it has to do in
the most natural way.

Siver or gold are both increasing, unduly IMHO, the
keys of the skin tones. Sure, they make the portraits
brighter BUT they also suggest an irregular skin pig-
mentation… and that is not the case.

Ok,
the Sun did not play along but now your test is
conclusive… and I still love the smile! (y)(y):cool:

^^^ Agreed, think the first has much better skin tone. Looks like the flash is working well for you.

So soon? Cool!!!

I like the first because it does what it has to do in
the most natural way.

Siver or gold are both increasing, unduly IMHO, the
keys of the skin tones. Sure, they make the portraits
brighter BUT they also suggest an irregular skin pig-
mentation… and that is not the case.

Ok,
the Sun did not play along but now your test is
conclusive… and I still love the smile! (y)(y):cool:

Thanks Kodiak, always useful to have others look and see how subtle variations work or otherwise. The main thing from my perspective is that I can now have some additional control when shooting where there is no mains supply.
It also opens up possibilities for shooting inside structures where there would otherwise be insufficient light to work with.

The three images above can all be enhanced through the editing process without too much time involved to give them more punch as they are in the right ball park to begin with. I know the lighting is not suddenly going to make me
a better photographer. More a case of I don't have the patience to be waiting for speedligthts to whistle themselves to the ready and with the Godox I have sufficient power cover what I need and I'll likely add a second head once I
recover from the expense of the one I just bought. I was going to get a lens this week but decided I can move myself and the camera to get what the lens would have given me whereas standing at a shoot with a handful of swan vestas
is never going to have a great outcome.

The thing which strikes me the most with the head is just how easy it can be to use and get a decent shot. The TTL mode will certainly be useful for users who buy the unit and have little or no experience shooting manually. In that
mode it will automatically deploy HSS as soon as the camera's shutter speed is pushed beyond the native maximum sync. No buttons to press on the transmitter or head it just happens when appropriate.

And for shooting subjects with a range of skin tones there is the exposure compensation which seems very effective and again requires little effort use. The unit has a whole heap of party tricks that I will tinker with in due course
but the main purpose for which I bought it, I'm impressed.

Thank you.

^^^ Agreed, think the first has much better skin tone. Looks like the flash is working well for you.

Thank you very much for taking time to look and giving some feedback. Really pleased with the purchase, skint but pleased. I just need to experiment more with the reflectors as they will have their place and time, might have been
useful to have tried a white one at the same proximity to see how that performed. It'll take a few shoots to get a real grasp of the head.

Thank you, much appreciated.

I got back from work today and the 60cm Octabox I ordered for location work had arrived and the sun was shining. I really wanted to get the sun as a backlight then use the flash up front when I shot the above images but it wasn't very bright. I also wanted to try the HSS.

Shot this, this evening at 1/1600th ISO 100 f/2, the flash was certainly overpowering the natural light, I had the Octabox back far enough for the convergence of light to have opened out. Used the strobe at the higher end of its output range.

Very impressed with the HSS, really unlocks a heap of creative options.

Bethany Octabox AA.jpg

Now, these are skin tones… beautiful! (y)(y)(y)

…and that smile… ;)

Great shots, these are the type of shots I bought mine for, still not had a chance to try it out properly yet though. I'm hoping for the right conditions next weekend.

Great shots, these are the type of shots I bought mine for, still not had a chance to try it out properly yet though. I'm hoping for the right conditions next weekend.

Thank you Rick, it's a great piece of kit, I hope you get some superb results with it. As far as conditions are concerned, I got mine to allow me some additional control when shooting at locations and with the warmer weather arriving it's likely I'm going to be trying some creativity shooting with sunsets as backdrops, which should really show some of the the value of having the unit.

All the best

Tim

Back