New Forest Ponies

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
I like to go into the Forest with my camera mostly on sunny, misty mornings as the lighting effects are fantastic.

I shoot a lot of scenes into the sun. I know this is breaking one of the photographic rules, but I tend to use the trees to filter the greatest intensity of the sun. I like the effect it gives when silhouetting the ponies, emphasising their fur like a kind of halo, and if it's particularly cold I can catch their breath.

Below is a typical example of what I mean, although you may not see the breath on this occasion. I took the photo in January 2019 at Dames Slough Inclosure, Burley with my Nikon D60 DSLR and Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm telephoto lens...
dames-slough-incl_9Jan19_004_DSC_0168.jpg

It's not breaking the rules at all, it's called contre jour photography (literally against the day).

That a lovely image, you've managed to keep the shadow detail nicely.

As the human eye naturally gravitates to the lightest part of the image you may want to see if you can darken the burned out grass in the foreground to improve it.

Agreed the grass is over exposed an easy fix in PP

Not cheating with camera into sun ( its called Back or Rim lighting) I use this a lot when photographing people and sometimes wildlife and birds

like this shot- the sun is behind the subject - trick is to expose for the subject

DSC01265 Teal by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Very nice shot and because of the way you’ve taken it,it feels like I’m there and as Les says, the over-exposed grass can easily be be recovered.

This photo captures reality. I even feel the temperature and smell of the air :)

Back