Critique New Old Softbox

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I bought a second hand softbox on here last month and things are finally falling into place for me. It's 140m double diffused Octobox and even in my small room, I'm managing to use it successfully with the grid in place.

I'll post more as I go on from another session.

I'm trying to re-create the Andy Park look ;0

09ff47f8c37fe477cbcfeb61347b37ca_large.jpg

#2 I don't actually like this processing in the end, but there you go!
f3a31317dabfd51a318dcfdfdabbaddc_large.jpg

6e9b74a0343e7a4481f6ccc32f8cc1b2_large.jpg

Very good set indeed, the first is something special IMHO

Excellent set of images. Love the 1st one.

All look fab to me. Loving the big bold yet oh so delicate shadows.

How big is the room you use for these. I only play at home so it would be nice to know what size room you could get away with using a big softbox.

Gaz

Something like 3X4 meters. With a 2-seater sofa along the wall (camera left)and TV in the corner (camera right). My bum is on the radiator.

In the last image she has her foot on the sofa and I needed to crop out the arm rest.

I've tried to create some distance from the wall, but the light seems best against the wall. Example - with her eyes closed.

I was surprised (+ relieved) what the difference a proper softbox makes. The cheap £20 softligher and more expensive Westcott Appollo are great, but the single layer didn't soften or control the light like the big box.

Any more questions. I have lots about what I'm doing.

Not wish to come across as a total negative- I don't like No1- her knee and leg look like a huge black triangle which dominates the frame and takes the emphasis away from the model!

The others I do like - nice PP too

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wish to come across as a total negative- I don't like No1- her knee and leg look like a huge black triangle which dominates the frame and takes the emphasis away from the model!

Les

I agree with you. The plastic box (as an apple box) was too low and with her foot on the stool, it was too high.

Something like 3X4 meters
Thanks for the reply Manda. I really appreciate that. It all helps and i'm pretty sure there are folks with acres of space that can't get results like yours here :)
Well done.

Gaz

Les

I was going to say I like the first one, especially the look of the muscles on arm and back but the big black blob just kind of ruined it. Maybe a bit less contrast or increase exposure a bit?

I was going to say I like the first one, especially the look of the muscles on arm and back...
Interesting... I'd say that the muscle on the upper arm in number 3 looks a bit unusual, maybe it's tensed up in an odd way to hold position.
Otherwise, my only criticism would be that the black and white ones have a bit too much grain added. Nothing wrong with grain, but personally, I'd back it off slightly.

Great shots though, the poses and lighting work really well. Number 2 is my fav, and I prefer it in colour.

Just gorgeous. The mood you're creating renders just about all posing criticism redundant, I reckon.

fwiw I'd darken the shoulder / armpit a smidge in all of them - it's the brightest thing in the images. Maybe a slight tweak in light position next time?
And I'd never be brave enough to apply that much grain but it works.

I know you're trying to replicate Andy Park's style, but his is incredibly retouch-dependent. Yours looks much more natural.

It's been interesting to read the comments and I've left it a few days, viewed it on a few different monitors and I still think #1 is a great image. I like the way her leg cuts off her arm with a clean black line and provides a sense of her being "behind" something even if it is only her leg. Each to their own I suppose

Haven't visited this section for some time, but glad I did to see this Manda. The re-edit of #2 is awesome!

Thanks everyone for your support.

Pose - I did go back and look at how Andy Park presented these poses and most of his models have their arm drapped on the outside of the knee. I'm sure I'll remember to improve this next time, thanks to your suggestions.

Grain - I'm still working out a way to process these photos, all feedback is good.

Chopped heads - I've always done it. Everyone tells me to stop!!

Bright patches - I learnt a new trick recently which has helped correct this. Select the bright part of the skin>put it on a new layer>change the colour and luminance!

Keep those comments comming! Mandy

?..Chopped heads - I've always done it. Everyone tells me to stop!!..

That's a hard one. I've always kept the tops of heads but then see photos where the tops are chopped and I think 'what a neat photo.' So, I've started to be a little more "adventurous" and clip the tops of heads sometimes. If it's what you do, keep doing it.

Yep i love the first one.
It gives a lovely washed light look
As said before the lighting negates the posing
Love it!

This is actually my first set with the soft box, sharing because I'm enjoying the process. Plus I have another session next weekend, so might pick up some new tips.

No texture added as I'm now following Peter Coulson's approach. Quite a close crop because G. wore a large watch and I hadn't dare ask her to take it off. I did towards the end when I switched to natural light.

8ad241d54e12a6af2da492201b9c79c2_large.jpg

Back