New printer won't connect to Wi-Fi - help

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
So, after faffing around for 4 years not having a printer, I finally bought a big printer which arrived yesterday. Load the inks...gurgle gurgle..print out the mandatory check sheet. And then, dead end! I rang the firm that supplied it. He worked with me for a while but couldn't figure it out. He's ringing back in the morning. The option to directly connect to the Canon was greyed out. Eventually it picked up the fact that it was there. I don't have a 3m cable to connect them and don't really want the cable across the floor as this beast is too big to sit on my desk.

If anyone has made a Canon 1000 talk to Sky Wi Fi, please tell me something to tell him in the morning.... thanks.

Only a general observation.

The WiFi printers I have had (Canon, Epson and now HP) all needed as part of the setup to be USB wired initially and it was during that process I then selected WiFi as the 'port'.

Plus FWIW in regard to the WiFi connection, with all the routers I have had over time I setup fixed IP addresses rather than allow the DHCP to allocate them for the always in the house kit........ including the printer!

For those with more experience than me perhaps best if you state PC or Mac and which OS as appropriate?

Only a general observation.

The WiFi printers I have had (Canon, Epson and now HP) all needed as part of the setup to be USB wired initially and it was during that process I then selected WiFi as the 'port'.

Plus FWIW in regard to the WiFi connection, with all the routers I have had over time I setup fixed IP addresses rather than allow the DHCP to allocate them for the always in the house kit........ including the printer!

For those with more experience than me perhaps best if you state PC or Mac and which OS as appropriate?

I’ll second the above ..I had trouble with a pro100 and Mac......moved the printer near the Mac to connect via a printer lead and I suddenly had additional options on the set up menu which included Wifi connection.....[emoji106]

Hi thanks For this. i ordered a long cable yesterday just in case so will mention this when Inget the call this morning. :ty:

I had problems setting up my Canon WiFi printer until I realised there were different drivers for the wifi and wired settings, and once both were installed it was a simple matter to select the correct one from the printer menu.

One thing I did discover was that when trying to print large high quality prints it was better to use the wired connection as the wifi one would often stall mid print - perhaps a buffering or memory issue.

HTH

David

Back