New road tax rules, cheeky caveat for the over 40k gang

Why? Why should car tax be increased at a given value? I could be wrong but I'm guessing you aren't in the higher tax rate, and don't own a car over £40k? So you'd rather tax those who work hard to better themselves... this country is full of people who want to race to the bottom, rather than reward hard work and effort to improve their lot. It seems to be a very British thing for some reason. No wonder there are so many people out of work or doing dead end easy jobs with no responsibilities to get there pay topped up by benefits.

Because not everyone is a money grabbing selfish oik.

People who can afford it should pay more, it's a relatively simple concept and one I believe wholeheartedly.

People who can afford it should pay more, it's a relatively simple concept and one I believe wholeheartedly.

Wow. Money grabbing and selfish. That's quite a statement, I'll not bother trying to explain my opinion because it's clearly wasted on someone with that short sighted attitude.

Though I'll not apologise for wanting to live a better life and provide for my family.

Reactions: Sid
Though I'll not apologise for wanting to live a better life and provide for my family.

That's not the same thing though is it, I think it's fair to say that if you can afford a £40k car you can afford the tax to go with it, same as if you can afford a £1mn house you can afford the stamp duty. No one actually NEEDS these things.

I'd happily pay more tax, and I say that as someone who can afford to, and I shan't apologise for that.

That's not the same thing though is it, I think it's fair to say that if you can afford a £40k car you can afford the tax to go with it, same as if you can afford a £1mn house you can afford the stamp duty. No one actually NEEDS these things.

I'd happily pay more tax, and I say that as someone who can afford to, and I shan't apologise for that.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Let's not get into what we NEED. I think in the 21st century we can do a little better than work hard just for what we need.

dunno is that cream you rub on your top lip taxed that gets rid of the hair?

Nice try, snowflake.
You said luxury = tax.
Tampons, sanitary towels, are taxed; therefore, by your thinking, they are luxuries.

Makes you feel great when your tax pounds fund abortion, foreign aid to places like North Korea, measures strongly encouraging illegal migration, UN scams, EU scam-tax and so on and so on. At the same time roads are full of potholes, and are getting worse by the day and you effectively can't see a doctor unless you are very ill or 60+. 2+2 is not 5, it just doesn't add up no matter how much some would like to pretend that it does.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Let's not get into what we NEED. I think in the 21st century we can do a little better than work hard just for what we need.

Fair enough, and I agree to a point, just that I think the line at which niceties turn to luxuries is lower than a £40k car and if you are spending £40k on a car and complaining about a little extra tax then you can't really afford to spend £40k on a car.

I also think it's bonkers that anyone would consider spending the equivalent of a year's salary on a car, as was inferred earlier but I suspect doesn't really tell the whole truth, but there you go...

Makes you feel great when your tax pounds fund abortion, foreign aid to places like North Korea, measures strongly encouraging illegal migration, UN scams, EU scam-tax and so on and so on. At the same time roads are full of potholes, and are getting worse by the day and you effectively can't see a doctor unless you are very ill or 60+. 2+2 is not 5, it just doesn't add up no matter how much some would like to pretend that it does.

Your tinfoil hat has been dispatched.

I wonder how that will affect my son? He is a motoring journalist and he pays tax for his benefits in kind, so at present if he road tests a car he is taxed on the perceived benefit. Many of the cars he test drives are over this luxury limit, yet he doesn't earn anywhere near enough to actually buy or lease a luxury car and he doesn't get to keep the car for more than a few days per car.
Matt

Surely those who get it without earning it are the money grabbing selfish oiks.

I'd happily pay more tax, and I say that as someone who can afford to, but know I won't have to and I shan't apologise for that.

You missed a bit.

Before everybody divides to much on what is a luxury car and wether or not it "deserves" to be taxed more if you have something like a Ford Fiesta or focus it's going to cost more as well because that changes from tax exempt to £140 a year. Did you really think this government wasn't going to get the other end of the market as well.

You missed a bit.

I voted labour...

edit: and I don't blame people not working for getting benefits, if the system can be played it isn't the players' fault, it's those that design the system; and of course the vast majority of those on benefits are genuine. The mistake is to think it can be fixed overnight by a few policy changes, it's a generational problem and needs to be tackled at the roots, not at the symptom but politics doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

But they already pay more. More tax, more vat, more stamp duty, more inheritance tax paid at the end.

But they already pay more. More tax, more vat, more stamp duty, more inheritance tax paid at the end.

Unless you can afford a decent accountant. The system is rigged to those that can afford to work around it, which just isn't fair.

Looks like a dog chewed a lump out of the front bumper. ;)
Bumpers what are they? There's some molded fibre glass at the rear to give the impression...

Rumour is the dog chewed the clay model of the front wing. All I know is top is the intake for the cooling system, hot one side, cool the other, then the lower vents onto the brake disks.

Why? Why should car tax be increased at a given value? I could be wrong but I'm guessing you aren't in the higher tax rate, and don't own a car over £40k? So you'd rather tax those who work hard to better themselves... this country is full of people who want to race to the bottom, rather than reward hard work and effort to improve their lot. It seems to be a very British thing for some reason. No wonder there are so many people out of work or doing dead end easy jobs with no responsibilities to get there pay topped up by benefits.

Jobs. Why do you think we have a huge public service? Realistically we could just say, the first £10k or £15k is free, then you pay 30% on everything else you earn. All goes to central government who then dish it out to councils based on % of population, then extra for areas of deprivation, infrastructure projects suchs as schools, hospitals, roads etc.

But then you wouldn't need all those complicated taxes, all those local civil servants to collect a multitude of local taxes, from houses to green bin collections, to paying to park at local parks.

Car tax though is an easy target to try to force people off the roads and on to public transport, only it's not as convenient or even goes where you want with todays mobile workforce outside the big cities.
Then it can be targetted to emission targets etc

Nice try, snowflake.
You said luxury = tax.
Tampons, sanitary towels, are taxed; therefore, by your thinking, they are luxuries.

Depends if they are Asda own brand or Armarni hammocks I guess maybe a sliding scale 2% for body care ones ?

Unless you can afford a decent accountant. The system is rigged to those that can afford to work around it, which just isn't fair.

Which brings us back to my first post.
If the wealthier weren't punished for working hard and doing well, perhaps they wouldn't feel the need to cheat the system.

Before everybody divides to much on what is a luxury car and wether or not it "deserves" to be taxed more if you have something like a Ford Fiesta or focus it's going to cost more as well because that changes from tax exempt to £140 a year. Did you really think this government wasn't going to get the other end of the market as well.
Yes very true the minimum is now 140 quid for new cars which is a good thing for me I thought the super low ved was pointless.

would've loved to have spent £40k on a nice new clean fuel/hybrid motor but in that case I think I'll stick to my £5k smog spewing, child murdering, puppy suffocating diesel then...

*walks away whistling*

I've seriously looked at electric cars for my commute. Free charging station I could use at somewhere I mostly work at, but things like the Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf have poor performance and limited range for the run down the motorway, most second hand seem to have batteries on lease, meaning an additional monthly cost, and the limited range means it wouldn't work for customer site visits. A tesla would be nice, long range, quick charge, but too expensive and big, so looking forward to seeing the model 3.

a BMW i3 with range extender is getting there but you've 60-90 miles on battery, about 150 with the range extender (bike engine generator in the boot). Domestic charging is 8 hours, so an hour per 10 miles, unless you buy the fast charge wall box, which brings it down to 3 hours. Fast charge points at services will do 80% in about 30 mins, but it's still not much range

So not really there yet for me

Yes very true the minimum is now 140 quid for new cars which is a good thing for me I thought the super low ved was pointless.

I agree with this. Everybody that uses the roads should pay. It's not just emissions. Any car can damage the road surface and that costs money to repair or resurface.

If only the revenue earned was actually spent on the roads.

Last edited:
I've seriously looked at electric cars for my commute. Free charging station I could use at somewhere I mostly work at, but things like the Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf have poor performance and limited range for the run down the motorway, most second hand seem to have batteries on lease, meaning an additional monthly cost, and the limited range means it wouldn't work for customer site visits. A tesla would be nice, long range, quick charge, but too expensive and big, so looking forward to seeing the model 3.

a BMW i3 with range extender is getting there but you've 60-90 miles on battery, about 150 with the range extender (bike engine generator in the boot). Domestic charging is 8 hours, so an hour per 10 miles, unless you buy the fast charge wall box, which brings it down to 3 hours. Fast charge points at services will do 80% in about 30 mins, but it's still not much range

So not really there yet for me

We looked into electric cars and found the same thing. Range is relatively unimportant for the use ours would get put to but the running costs are. One of the Renissan offerings would suit just fine for the short hops it would get used for but the battery lease charge would be more than our monthly fuel bill (on the short hop car) let alone the electricity. Having a small East/West facing roof would make solar charging a non started (currently) but things might change when the technology improves and storage works better.

Range is an issue, most quote 100-110 miles but in reality it's 60-70 miles when you take into account I hop one junction on the motorway, 25 mile commute each way.
So realistically you'd have to top up each day when at work, just because having a 10+ mile extra range doesn't work if there's accidents or queuing on the motorway.
As you say, the lease on the batteries is huge, 13K mileage to work a year minimum, is £110 a month which is only slightly less than I pay in petrol for the mx-5

Nice try, snowflake.
You said luxury = tax.
It's EU regulations that prevents member countries from exempting items from VAT or zero-rating them. Blame the european commission.

Obviously this stops being a problem in a couple of years.

It will - there is no political appetite on any side of the house to maintain VAT on tampons.

Range is an issue, most quote 100-110 miles but in reality it's 60-70 miles when you take into account I hop one junction on the motorway, 25 mile commute each way.
...SNIP... is only slightly less than I pay in petrol for the mx-5

Yup but for our needs, 60-70 miles would be ample. Way less fun than an M-X5 though!!!

Could be worse - the VAT on them is "only" 5%. Ridiculous that a necessity is vattable at all (and even more ridiculous that razors are zero rated as a necessity.)

Could be worse - the VAT on them is "only" 5%. Ridiculous that a necessity is vattable at all (and even more ridiculous that razors are zero rated as a necessity.)

maybe after brexit they will become black market products.
buy them in uk vat free and smuggle them over to the eu in a fishing boat.
imagine if the boat sunk with a million fanny tampons on it?
would create a cotton island in the solent.

Jobs. Why do you think we have a huge public service? Realistically we could just say, the first £10k or £15k is free, then you pay 30% on everything else you earn. All goes to central government who then dish it out to councils based on % of population, then extra for areas of deprivation, infrastructure projects suchs as schools, hospitals, roads etc.

But then you wouldn't need all those complicated taxes, all those local civil servants to collect a multitude of local taxes, from houses to green bin collections, to paying to park at local parks.

Car tax though is an easy target to try to force people off the roads and on to public transport, only it's not as convenient or even goes where you want with todays mobile workforce outside the big cities.
Then it can be targetted to emission targets etc
Well the way the public sector is being cut you won't have those jobs in the not too distant future, but also not the services either. Hoorah I here people saying, cut the public sector and save money. Unfortunately the rub is that those people then join the benefits queue and have to be paid for doing nothing and the remaining workers have to be taxed higher to pay for that. So we end up with less services and a bigger benefits, and therefore taxation bill.

At some point soon we will reach the tipping point when people will just say enough is enough, The deminishing returns on higher earnings, in fact any earnings make working seem less attractive year on year. My sister in law lives quite comfortably on benefits and has never worked a day in her life, and seriously doubt she ever will. It's a good job that the money grabber and selfish people pay their taxes or there would be none of this.

That is why I think it's unfair to add an additional tax for the price of a car onto the already high burden allocated to those who want to do well.

It is interesting that the car VED tax has now changed to a personal tax.
If you do earn over say £43k and you do pay more tax then the general rule is that you should pay a bit more in my view or you should contribute more to say a pension.
I for instance have been earning considerably more than £43k for a lot of years and every penny of my money over that threshold and quite a bit below it has gone into my pension.

The bottom line is nowadays is that we are a spend spend spend culture and cars have become the new toy over the last few years where people will spend way over the odds of what they need.

I think with the £40k on cars tax the gov is making a statement and it will cost you ....end of.....

It is interesting that the car VED tax has now changed to a personal tax.
If you do earn over say £43k and you do pay more tax then the general rule is that you should pay a bit more in my view or you should contribute more to say a pension.
I for instance have been earning considerably more than £43k for a lot of years and every penny of my money over that threshold and quite a bit below it has gone into my pension.

The bottom line is nowadays is that we are a spend spend spend culture and cars have become the new toy over the last few years where people will spend way over the odds of what they need.

I think with the £40k on cars tax the gov is making a statement and it will cost you ....end of.....

So where do we draw the line?

35% VAT on TV's over say 40"?
45% VAT on Canon L Series lenses?
Computers!, theres an easy target. 50% VAT for people that buy Macs, they must be rich.
20% VAT on Android phones, 40% on iPhones?

Unless of course, you're on benefits. People on benefits are entitled to 50" TV's, they deserve it.

Last edited:
So where do we draw the line?

35% VAT on TV's over say 40"?
45% VAT on Canon L Series lenses?
Computers!, theres an easy target. 50% VAT for people that buy Macs, they must be rich.
20% VAT on Android phones, 40% on iPhones?

Unless of course you're on benefits.

Yes maybe more vat rates on luxury goods for sure.
remember though when we Brexit we can set all sorts of import duites on goods from abroad.
maybe MACS will cost more as we impose an import duty.

although I expect you are just being silly

Yes maybe more vat rates on luxury goods for sure.
remember though when we Brexit we can set all sorts of import duites on goods from abroad.
maybe MACS will cost more as we impose an import duty.

although I expect you are just being silly

I'm not being silly. You seem to endorse taxing luxury goods just because somebody can afford them, why should it stop at cars?

I'm not being silly. You seem to endorse taxing luxury goods just because somebody can afford them, why should it stop at cars?

not at all I endorsed the car TAX situation because according to research £40k for a car is over the average purchase of about £27k so you makes your choice you pay a bit more tax. I don't have issues with most other things perse.

I define luxury as over and above what an average person would buy/pay/consume.

fir instance I wear a rolex it is a luxury watch it should carry more tax.

Last edited:
Back