New Scope

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
So I went to Birdfair and ended up with a Swarovski 85mm ATX. Been thinking about one for a while and the Mrs enjoys bird watching too, so we decided to take the plunge. So, my question...

I fitted the scope to a new Manfrotto fluid head, which is fine, but it rotates around the quick release. There is a thread in the foot for a stabalising dowl/spindle which matches a small hole in the QR plate. Does anybody know where I can find the spindle type thing that goes into the foot of the scope?

I thought this would be the best forum to post in as it's mainly birders on here...

Thanks,
Steve

Congrats on your new purchase that's an amazing scope I always wanted to get to birdfair as hear there some good bargains to be had pand wanted swarovski field pro binos but missed out again, with regards clamp it should tighten enough without need for the pin? Any pics to help see what's going on?

Congrats on your new purchase that's an amazing scope I always wanted to get to birdfair as hear there some good bargains to be had pand wanted swarovski field pro binos but missed out again, with regards clamp it should tighten enough without need for the pin? Any pics to help see what's going on?

I just can't tighten the QR plate enough by hand. Obviously the scope can put a lot of leverage across the pivot point, which is what's happening. There must be a "standard" screw in lug for this type of thing....

No worries, big hat tip to Adam, I just googled the part number he suggested.

Our Opticron ES 80 ED v3 is pretty decent at low to mid magnification, but not very good at full zoom. The Swaro ATX 85 on the other hand is in a different league. I've been so tempted to get one, just find it hard to justify the spend at the moment.

We both have Swarovski binoculars (EL 8.5x42 SV for me and SLC 8x42 HD for the missus) so it's not a disaster that we don't have better scope.

Enjoy your new scope, I know I would.

No worries, big hat tip to Adam, I just googled the part number he suggested.

Our Opticron ES 80 ED v3 is pretty decent at low to mid magnification, but not very good at full zoom. The Swaro ATX 85 on the other hand is in a different league. I've been so tempted to get one, just find it hard to justify the spend at the moment.

We both have Swarovski binoculars (EL 8.5x42 SV for me and SLC 8x42 HD for the missus) so it's not a disaster that we don't have better scope.

Enjoy your new scope, I know I would.

The difference between this and my current Hawke scope is night and day (excuse the pun)... Objects are much brighter and the clarity & detail are amazing. We were watching the Hobbies at RSPB Sandy from around 100 metres and getting full feather & eye detail, just astonished really...

Back